• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Wish List

Anzac

Established Member
jones said:
Why pay 10m for Reina when that money can get you Valdés or even César?

Question for me is,
is he THAT good that we would overlook his involvement with the Fabregas Barca jersey stunt post the WC?
IMO no - that stunt showed total disrespect to this club & I'd not touch anyone involved with a barge pole on principle.
If we were to sign Reina IMO that would confirm this club to be Barca's b*tches.
Yes I'm aware that Reina doesn't play for them & yes I'm aware that I'd still sign other players from them that were NOT involved in that stunt.

Anzac

Established Member
mavelous said:
so once a player has an eu permit from another country they can play in england with that?

Not exactly.
It's a work permit & would be granted for the country the club was registered in, e.g. Belgium.
If the player was sold the gaining club would need to apply for a new permit - but this is usually only a formality once the initial permit has been granted.

The main issue would be if the initial permit was granted on the grounds of exceptional talent rather than the normal criteria regarding international appearances, and if the player then failed to kick on in their career.

AS I said earlier Spain (& perhaps it appears Portugal as well), have these treaties whereby players from former colonies or countries who speak the same language, do not require work permits in order to play in Spain etc - it's how there are so many Spanish speaking central & South Americans playing in Spain (and why I presume the same applies re Brazilians in Portugal).
This does NOT mean that these players automatically qualify for EU permits UNLESS they can claim dual citizenship for Spain/Portugal etc re birthright.
Once they have dual citizenship then they can play in the EU without the need for any permits - IIRC we didn't need EU permits re Eduardo as he had Croatian citizenship.

Anzac

Established Member
Speaking of players from Brazil - I read that caughtoffside has us interested in Diego Costa. Claims we've cooled interest in Adrian but were impressed by Costa at the time.
Costa was signed to play in Portugal aged 18 & sold to Atletico at 19, but had spent much of his time on loan playing in Portugal, but has gained favour with Simeone at club level, & has now gained his first full cap for Brazil.

DanAust

The other situation is to ship players to a feeder club in a country in Europe with relaxed work permits and short waiting periods for citizenship like we organised for Yaya Toure at K.S.K. Beveren in Belgium and wait for them to gain a passport or enough international caps. This only works if the players stays the course, which Yaya didnt.

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
aha! i always had the impression that yaya didn't impress in the trial... that must be zlatan then, doesn't do trials douchebag

DanAust

mavelous said:
aha! i always had the impression that yaya didn't impress in the trial... that must be zlatan then, doesn't do trials douchebag
You're right he didnt impress during a friendly while on trial as a teen, but we still wanted him.

Wenger "I have known him since he was 15.He was here as a young boy but we cannot get players in here if they are not internationals. He had no work permit and was too young. We tried to wait until when he was in Belgium, we tried to get him a European passport. We had an agreement with Yaya to come here but the problem was that we had to wait long enough for a European passport. Therefore he was impatient and went, at the time, to Metalurh Donetsk in Ukraine. Now he is a top-class player. We knew that at the time he would be a top-class player but the only problem with Yaya was to fix him into a position because he can play everywhere. He can play centre-back, as a second striker, as a midfielder and for a long time we didn’t know where to play him. He played in a pre-season game at Barnet as a second striker — and he was completely average on the day.

Read more: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4003416/Arsenal-boss-Arsène-Wenger-Why-I-said-no-to-Yaya-Toure.html#ixzz2OQSKDLFn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sp ... z2OQSKDLFn</a>

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-why-i-could-not-sign-yaya-toure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... yaya-toure</a>

evoh_1

Established Member
I'd rather we went for neither as they are aren't good enough, valdes is overated and reina is declining.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
Seen him at Sevilla a few times. Tidy player, good awareness and engine, but too young/inexperienced for our first XI I think. Enough potential for Wenger to work with though.

Pea-Tear-Griffin

GK:Begovic/Courtois (10million) Depends whether Chelsea actually want Begovic.
CB: Williams (6million)
CB: Amorbieta (Free)
CDM: Gonalons (12million)
LW: Gaitan (22million-Unsure on what he would actually cost)
ST: Jovetic (21million)

Sell:
Vermaelen (12million)
Diaby (3million)
Gervinho (10million)
Djourou (3million)
Free transfers

Total= 43million Is achievable with the new sponsorships and is not exactly a huge net spend considering rival clubs.

Begovic
Sagna Koscielny Williams Monreal
Gonalons Wilshere
Walcott Cazorla Gaitan
Jovetic

Szczesny
jenkinson Mertesacker Amorbieta Gibbs
Arteta Ramsey
AOC Rosicky Podolski
Giroud

marv3llous

DanAust said:
There seems to be a lot of love for Jovetic on this site; I havent seen a lot of him but given the choice, would you prefer Jovetic or Benzema (since he seems to be on the outs at RM) to join Arsenal?

Ideally we need both, but i would take Benzema first.

DanAust

There seems to be a lot of love for Jovetic on this site; I havent seen a lot of him but given the choice, would you prefer Jovetic or Benzema (since he seems to be on the outs at RM) to join Arsenal?

fabo

6.51 / 10
Benzema. Wenger could bring this lad up a level. Plus he's more of a proper ST than Jovetic, who plays off a ST for the most part.

DanAust

I tend to agree, as I said I haven't seen much of jovetic so I'm not the best judge, but on paper I'd want us after Benzema

Armor for Sleep

Established Member
Not wishlist (yet) but i'm very interested in Schneiderlin and i'm starting to come round to the idea of Ashley Williams too. Cheapish, PL experience, good ages and seem to fit they style of players we need for both defence and midfield.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom