• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Wish List

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
I don't like it at all. Individual names are great, but no width and I'm fundamentally against 4-4-2.

A footballing team plays 4-3-3 (or 4-5-1, which is semantics basically). 4-4-2 is for teams that can't produce/purchase proper wingers.

Don't know about Richards either.

Considering that Wenger will likely not invest considerably in more than two positions. I'd spend big on Javi Martinez and Di Maria, get a Sagna replacement and a striker that can compete with Giroud for first spot, preferably one with bags of potential (so: not Remy, can't think of anyone that'd be affordable and a first choice).

- - - - - - - - - - Szczesny - - - - - - - - - -
- RB - - - - Mert - - - - - - Kos - - Gibbs - -
- - - - - - - - - - Javi Martinez - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - Ramsey - - - - - - Özil - - - - - -
- Walcott - - - - - - Giroud - - - Di Maria - -

This starting XI could compete for every competition.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

It is a 4 - 2 - 2 - 2 it is meant to lack width and Richards was selected as apparently he is available for 5 m or so. Given that 65m would be spent on Benzema and Fabregas he would be within budget and given that that team would be very small he adds some much needed height.

Anzac

Established Member
It's a 4222 rather than 442.
However it lacks pace & movement in the front 4;
the front 2 are too alike in type;
neither of the 2 AMs look to make makes off the ball ahead of the play;
neither of the CMs are natural holding players;
neither of the FBs are natural WBs with end product;
the CBs would have to play an ultra high line to cover the CMs, which would then expose BFG's lack of pace & the lack of pace from the CMs to provide cover.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

Do you think that system would work with more effective personnel?

Benzema Walcott

Özil Ramsey

Martinez Flamini?

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
bingobob said:
Do you think that system would work with more effective personnel?

Benzema Walcott

Özil Ramsey

Martinez Flamini?

Benzema Walcott

Wilshere Özil

Ramsey Fabregas

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

The thing I like about our current set up is that it's quite dynamic.... we have a holding player, a box-to-box man who bursts forward, scores and creates. We've got Özil who drifts right, left and is a very hard player to mark from an opposition stand point. Walcott as an unorthodox right winger who's essentially a goal threat from wide and the biggest on the team, looks to run in behind constantly. Cazorla on the left, or someone else like that who can dribble, float around and get involved with play while providing something special.

Like our invincibles, they had several different types of players. We play a set way but with loads of different types of players, like Vieira, Pires, Bergkamp and Ljungberg worked so well and are all completely different from each other..... it really makes the team that much better and more unpredictable when you have loads of different attributes all round the team, with the 4-2-2-2 with essentially Cesc and Özil both in it, Ramsey and Wilshere/Cazorla it just seems it's like one similar player too many.

I think Wengers best teams have had a midfield and attack with a blend of different styles and strengths.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Tir Na Nog said:
The thing I like about our current set up is that it's quite dynamic.... we have a holding player, a box-to-box man who bursts forward, scores and creates. We've got Özil who drifts right, left and is a very hard player to mark from an opposition stand point. Walcott as an unorthodox right winger who's essentially a goal threat from wide and the biggest on the team, looks to run in behind constantly. Cazorla on the left, or someone else like that who can dribble, float around and get involved with play while providing something special.

Like our invincibles, they had several different types of players. We play a set way but with loads of different types of players, like Vieira, Pires, Bergkamp and Ljungberg worked so well and are all completely different from each other..... it really makes the team that much better and more unpredictable when you have loads of different attributes all round the team, with the 4-2-2-2 with essentially Cesc and Özil both in it, Ramsey and Wilshere/Cazorla it just seems it's like one similar player too many.

I think Wengers best teams have had a midfield and attack with a blend of different styles and strengths.

You aren't wrong but all of Ramsey (engine), Cesc (incisive passing), cazorla (turn on a six-pence) and Özil/Wilshere ( neat dribblers) are very different types of player. So is Diaby (powerful force) and So is Flamini (puts a tackle in). our midfield would be technical but not similar. Ditto for Ox, theo, podolski, giroud and anybody who we bring in - not similar.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Can't argue any of those points! we do have plenty of variety in midfield and how the hold does any team plan to stop Özil, Cesc, Ramsey AND Cazorla? not to mention theo, Ox and a new striker. Our attack is so much sharper with Cesc involved and teams will definitely not be prepared to play high lines against us with those midfield options but they might not want to sit back too far either!

Cesc is top of the wishlist, followed by a hard working forward with quality - there are a few around and then a full back/CB or 2.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Griezmann was impressive today. Never stops moving, always finds space, and is much better on the ball than given credit. He won't dribble around 5 people, but his technique is underrated. Excellent finisher, pacy, team player and works hard.

I'd take him here.

Tir Na Nog

Tbh, a midfield of just Özil, Ramsey, Cesc and Cazorla for instance would be a dream for Mourinho, because all those players clogging up the central areas while Chelsea just sit back and let us pass it around. Chelsea and Mourinho teams did it when Barcelona had Xavi, Cesc, Iniesta, Messi and all playing they could just as easily sit back against us. Passing and moving is grand, however when you're against a team who don't come to play football, you need to mix things up, put it wide, try crosses stretch the defence a bit. Cazorla, Cesc and Özil all looking to do the same thing will not open up a parked bus.

Iceman10

Established Member
Well buy a CDM also, a 15m signing as opposed to a 30m one, and then you can chop and change according to the opposition. After all, that's what Mourinho does with his squad. If it was me I would consider Cazorla making room in those matches.

chessygoal

MutableEarth said:
Griezmann was impressive today. Never stops moving, always finds space, and is much better on the ball than given credit. He won't dribble around 5 people, but his technique is underrated. Excellent finisher, pacy, team player and works hard.

I'd take him here.
I loved Wenger comments on Griezmann yesterday : "You see how calm he's to take this shot? That's the sign of a natural goalscorer" and then he compared him to Pires.
We might go for him if he's available at the right price. At least, we now know that Arsène rates him.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

Tir Na Nog said:
Tbh, a midfield of just Özil, Ramsey, Cesc and Cazorla for instance would be a dream for Mourinho, because all those players clogging up the central areas while Chelsea just sit back and let us pass it around. Chelsea and Mourinho teams did it when Barcelona had Xavi, Cesc, Iniesta, Messi and all playing they could just as easily sit back against us. Passing and moving is grand, however when you're against a team who don't come to play football, you need to mix things up, put it wide, try crosses stretch the defence a bit. Cazorla, Cesc and Özil all looking to do the same thing will not open up a parked bus.
As said by someone below it can easily be altered.

Ramsey - Flamini-

Fabregas/Özil

Walcott Benzema Ox

Or something different again as we do have a lot of options in the team.

I think that is something I would wish for variety and options so we can play a 4-2-2-2 or 4-2-3-1 or 4-2-1-3

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
MutableEarth said:
:lol: Cavani.

If wishes could come true......

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Sport/Pix/columnists/2013/9/15/1379257655052/Mesut-Özil-008.jpg

:wink:

Tir Na Nog

Cavani is weird one, he just doesn't seem worth the money PSG paid to get him last summer and probably wouldn't be worth the money we'd have to pay for him in terms of what he'd actually do..... he's always been a player I've been a bit wary of, he seemed to have a decent scoring record at Napoli yet everytime I see him he really underwhelms me. I wasn't a consistent watcher of Napoli in serie a though..... but I still cannot quite put my finger on what his main attributes are and what type of striker he is. He's a good finisher, I think.... he seems quick enough, doesn't really play with his back to goal and doesn't create things out of nothing from what I've seen. Is not a target man but yet he relies on service quite a bit.

He must have something special about him though considering how highly rated he is and the fact that PSG did pay that money for him despite having Zlatan already.

Brotherz

Tir Na Nog said:
Cavani is weird one, he just doesn't seem worth the money PSG paid to get him last summer and probably wouldn't be worth the money we'd have to pay for him in terms of what he'd actually do..... he's always been a player I've been a bit wary of, he seemed to have a decent scoring record at Napoli yet everytime I see him he really underwhelms me. I wasn't a consistent watcher of Napoli in serie a though..... but I still cannot quite put my finger on what his main attributes are and what type of striker he is. He's a good finisher, I think.... he seems quick enough, doesn't really play with his back to goal and doesn't create things out of nothing from what I've seen. Is not a target man but yet he relies on service quite a bit.

He must have something special about him though considering how highly rated he is and the fact that PSG did pay that money for him despite having Zlatan already.
He's world class there's no doubt about that.
He is quick, very strong and very intelligent, those three attributes alone allow him to be a quality player.
I rate him so highly I was begging Wenger to go all out for him last summer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom