• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Wish List

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
I always go back to what Arteta said in December...

"We want to move to a 4-3-3 but for that, you need a lot of specificity in every position but now in five or six positions, we don’t have it."

I've always thought he wanted a 433. Feel like Ødegaard was signed just to quickly get some creativity in the side.

In terms of the five or six positions comment for the 433 i'm assuming he means -

RCB
RB
Two CM's
LW/STR

I have noticed there is a way in which he wants us to play. Striker drops deep and links play. The wingers act as inside forwards whilst the wing backs overlap and create width. The two CB's push out and the main CDM drops between them to kind of form a back 3, or he drops to the left to cover for the CB who has bombed on. The two other CM's between them will almost have free roam. One being more defensive of the two (Partey in this case) and the other more attacking. Which would've been Aouar.

When he says specificity it is very specific what he's asking of some of these players and not many of them are capable. Hence the chopping and changing.

None of our right backs are capable, hence why the clubs number one target in that position is Hakimi.

Bissouma makes sense for the CDM role. Partey is of course the RCM. LCM wise I'd go back in for Aouar and have ESR as the rotation.

Saliba is coming back and should start. Still very unsure how he and Gabriel will work as a pair but it's worth trying and could be exceptional.

LW you have to get Grealish, everyone else is underwhelming in comparison. Huge fee, huge player. Striker we are good with until the summer after, keep Laca until his deals up.

Hakimi - £50M
Bissouma - £30M
Aouar - £30M
Grealish - £80M

Onana/Ryan and a backup left back for £15-20M on top of that. Around £200M spent. Huge, but absolutely necessary if the clubs truly backing the manager and what he wants to do.

I always go back to what Arteta said in December...

"We want to move to a 4-3-3 but for that, you need a lot of specificity in every position but now in five or six positions, we don’t have it."

I've always thought he wanted a 433. Feel like Ødegaard was signed just to quickly get some creativity in the side.

In terms of the five or six positions comment for the 433 i'm assuming he means -

RCB
RB
Two CM's
LW/STR

I have noticed there is a way in which he wants us to play. Striker drops deep and links play. The wingers act as inside forwards whilst the wing backs overlap and create width. The two CB's push out and the main CDM drops between them to kind of form a back 3, or he drops to the left to cover for the CB who has bombed on. The two other CM's between them will almost have free roam. One being more defensive of the two (Partey in this case) and the other more attacking. Which would've been Aouar.

When he says specificity it is very specific what he's asking of some of these players and not many of them are capable. Hence the chopping and changing.

None of our right backs are capable, hence why the clubs number one target in that position is Hakimi.

Bissouma makes sense for the CDM role. Partey is of course the RCM. LCM wise I'd go back in for Aouar and have ESR as the rotation.

Saliba is coming back and should start. Still very unsure how he and Gabriel will work as a pair but it's worth trying and could be exceptional.

LW you have to get Grealish, everyone else is underwhelming in comparison. Huge fee, huge player. Striker we are good with until the summer after, keep Laca until his deals up.

Hakimi - £50M
Bissouma - £30M
Aouar - £30M
Grealish - £80M

Onana/Ryan and a backup left back for £15-20M on top of that. Around £200M spent. Huge, but absolutely necessary if the clubs truly backing the manager and what he wants to do.
You essentially just summed up what my lineup is above, so I love to see someone else on the same page. I wish arteta would try a 433 now because esr and partey can forsure do the job now. I’d even be inclined to run saka on the right side of the midfield. Smith rowe and saka could play anywhere really but we should certainly be targeting versatile, athletic guys in their prime who can play almost anywhere. I think that’s what makes aouar, bissouma, grealish and even buendia so attractive. Either way, 2 new midfielders and a RB is a must this summer.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Dislaimer: Pure wish list fantasy bs

If I was to have 200m to spend I would look to buying within the PL. I'm sick of making high risk signings from abroad.

If we had 200m to spend on like 4-5 players I'm asking for players like Bissouma, Tielemans, Grealish and Barnes all day. You supplement 2-3 of those guys with cheaper signings from outside the league and you instantly have a top 4 side.

Maignan
Hakimi Saliba Gabriel Tierney
Partey Bissouma Tielemans
Saka Aubameyang Barnes

or

Maignan
Hakimi Saliba Gabriel Tierney
Partey Bissouma
Saka ESR Grealish
Aubameyang

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Grealish - $80M
Hakimi - $40M
Camavinga - $50M
Onana - $8M
Cucurella - $20M

I'd also check in with Sancho as an alternative to Grealish. All fantasy stuff here folks.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
@The_Playmaker - I've seen you bring up Camavinga quite a lot previously. Can you elaborate on observations sometime? The concept of an 18 year old from Ligue 1 to be ready to fit in in the PL, especially in CM where positional and tactical discipline is so important, normally gained with experience, is quite something, even by wonderkid standards. Should we really go out and spend big while not bringing in a player around 22-23 years old? If we had lots of money of course I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him in along with an experienced top player for the same position, but believing we have that kind of money to spend is still a stretch, and based on club/owners track record. In short, I'm wary of a Saliba-type signing this summer, this time for CM. Man City can do that kind of thing, but I'm sceptical for this club at this juncture.
Well if you compare him to Saliba, I don't think the same will happen again in terms of him being deemed not ready.

He has already been involved in the French first team squad. He plays for the under 21s. He has racked up 2 full seasons of league minutes and he has champions league experience. He has also played against Chelsea.

I think he falls into the Bellingham and Gravenberch bracket of what you would call young up and coming central midfield wonderkids, but he differs slightly. This batch of kids are physical monsters who can compete with men and come out on top, but Camavinga is different in that he is more two way. He is quite balanced in terms of offensive and defensive ability and has a high level of concentration for his age. His weaknesses is probably aerially, but it can be developed so he is more competitive. On the ground though, he is a monster defensively. So quick in the tackle, recovery, bite. He is incredibly competitive. That West Brom goal isn't happening with him on the pitch. He would eat up the ground and make the foul early on or just take the ball.

In an ordinary season where we have a game every 3 days, I don't think we could make this kind of signing. He does lack positional awareness, not through lack of concentration, but more so lack of experience and knowledge, but with 1 game a week, a good coach would improve that quickly. He is also left footed, ao would slot in on the left side alongside Partey, in front of Gabriel and have Tierney to the left, with possibly Martinelli, so that side would be incredibly strong defensively. He is press resistant and can carry the ball. He is only going to get better. Think of a central midfield version of Saka, but if he was to join he would just be consistent and steady. He wouldn't carry the team in his first season and he shouldn't have to.

The problem comes when people compare the signing to Bissouma. Bissouma is far more experienced in England. He is older and physically developed fully, but if it were me I would take Camavinga. I think his ceiling is higher offensively and his floor isn't much lower than Bissouma due to his physicality. He is more agile and mobile than Partey also. Add to the fact that he is French. Buying Bissouma means you lose your midfield for a month, which currently can make you lose 5 league positions.

I like both, but I'd go for Camavinga. I have a soft spot for him and I believe he genuinely likes Arsenal. He would just fit.

You could always just buy both, have Partey hold, Bissouma and Camavinga as 8s and then buy a highly offensive creative r&b like Hakimi and push both full backs up offensively.

Your 5 back of Bissouma, Partey Camavings, Gabriel and Saliba.

5 up of Hakimi, Tierney, Saka, Auba, Pepe/ ESR.

But that isn't possession based football. More the Liverpool formula.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Well if you compare him to Saliba, I don't think the same will happen again in terms of him being deemed not ready.

He has already been involved in the French first team squad. He plays for the under 21s. He has racked up 2 full seasons of league minutes and he has champions league experience. He has also played against Chelsea.

I think he falls into the Bellingham and Gravenberch bracket of what you would call young up and coming central midfield wonderkids, but he differs slightly. This batch of kids are physical monsters who can compete with men and come out on top, but Camavinga is different in that he is more two way. He is quite balanced in terms of offensive and defensive ability and has a high level of concentration for his age. His weaknesses is probably aerially, but it can be developed so he is more competitive. On the ground though, he is a monster defensively. So quick in the tackle, recovery, bite. He is incredibly competitive. That West Brom goal isn't happening with him on the pitch. He would eat up the ground and make the foul early on or just take the ball.

In an ordinary season where we have a game every 3 days, I don't think we could make this kind of signing. He does lack positional awareness, not through lack of concentration, but more so lack of experience and knowledge, but with 1 game a week, a good coach would improve that quickly. He is also left footed, ao would slot in on the left side alongside Partey, in front of Gabriel and have Tierney to the left, with possibly Martinelli, so that side would be incredibly strong defensively. He is press resistant and can carry the ball. He is only going to get better. Think of a central midfield version of Saka, but if he was to join he would just be consistent and steady. He wouldn't carry the team in his first season and he shouldn't have to.

The problem comes when people compare the signing to Bissouma. Bissouma is far more experienced in England. He is older and physically developed fully, but if it were me I would take Camavinga. I think his ceiling is higher offensively and his floor isn't much lower than Bissouma due to his physicality. He is more agile and mobile than Partey also. Add to the fact that he is French. Buying Bissouma means you lose your midfield for a month, which currently can make you lose 5 league positions.

I like both, but I'd go for Camavinga. I have a soft spot for him and I believe he genuinely likes Arsenal. He would just fit.

You could always just buy both, have Partey hold, Bissouma and Camavinga as 8s and then buy a highly offensive creative r&b like Hakimi and push both full backs up offensively.

So what do we do if we want possession-based football, whcih is presumably where Arteta is going. Partey at 6 with 8's in front of him, or a pivot of Partey and a more technically astute CM like Gundogan and then a 10?

Iceman10

Established Member

ty for this, helps a lot. If we had the funds I would be ok with buying both Camavinga and Bissouna. After all, looking at Leicester's squad they have Tielemans, Praet, Ndidi, Mendy, and looks lke they are adding with Soumare, so that's quality in depth we have to catch up with, which we are nowhere close, even if we will have no EL next season, after stripping down to rebuild back up by offloading Elneny, Torreira, Guendouzi (and Ceballos). If we can't do both I still feel reassured that this won't be another Saliba.

Goonger

The bolded part is stood out for me there. You are right, we could be going from the likes of Mari, Xhaka, Soares, Ceballos, Willian & Auba that have taken up that side for large parts of the season, to the players you mention, a lot younger, more athletic, more intensity & work rate.

The next thing we look at is can we balance it up with the right side, that's looked weaker. If we stick to 4231 then you can introduce Saliba, & hopefully a fully fit Partey. A Hakimi would a much more pace & attacking threat, but even someone like an Emerson adds more power & aggression at right back. If we start to play 433 then adding a Buendia at 8 or right wing adds further intensity & ball winning ability. We would defo look a lot more balanced & what you would imagine a lot closer to how Arteta sees his team.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
So what do we do if we want possession-based football, whcih is presumably where Arteta is going. Partey at 6 with 8's in front of him, or a pivot of Partey and a more technically astute CM like Gundogan and then a 10?
Well to be honest, even if we play a possession based style, I don't think the midfield signings would be an issue.

I think people are really worried about having no "creative" player in there alongside Partey and that a Bissouma or Camaving would be too similar. Personally, seeing as we use positional play anyway, I don't think you are looking at Bissouma, Partey or Camavinga to play defense splitting passes or crash the box. I think they are all fully capable of switching play and are all fully capable of beating a man with a drop of the shoulder. Something we currently only have in Partey is the ability to beat a man and drive. Add another player who can do that and it means you instantly become more creative.

I also feel that for a possession based team, it is your defence that is more important than your midfield. Holding, Chambers, Bellerin. These players are not good enough on the ball. Possession based means you go back a lot. If you go back, you need to go back to ball players at the back who can make you go forward and switch play. Currently we go back and more often than not end up at our goal keeper. There is a reason Luiz makes a difference and why Xhaka has to drop into the defence. Our defensive players simply can't kick a ball.

If we had a right back who could actually pass and do everything we needed. If our rcb could come out with thr ball but also defend, it means you use your possession better.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Well to be honest, even if we play a possession based style, I don't think the midfield signings would be an issue.

I think people are really worried about having no "creative" player in there alongside Partey and that a Bissouma or Camaving would be too similar. Personally, seeing as we use positional play anyway, I don't think you are looking at Bissouma, Partey or Camavinga to play defense splitting passes or crash the box. I think they are all fully capable of switching play and are all fully capable of beating a man with a drop of the shoulder. Something we currently only have in Partey is the ability to beat a man and drive. Add another player who can do that and it means you instantly become more creative.

I also feel that for a possession based team, it is your defence that is more important than your midfield. Holding, Chambers, Bellerin. These players are not good enough on the ball. Possession based means you go back a lot. If you go back, you need to go back to ball players at the back who can make you go forward and switch play. Currently we go back and more often than not end up at our goal keeper. There is a reason Luiz makes a difference and why Xhaka has to drop into the defence. Our defensive players simply can't kick a ball.

If we had a right back who could actually pass and do everything we needed. If our rcb could come out with thr ball but also defend, it means you use your possession better.

Well I definitely agree on the defence thing, you can include Leno in that too, nowhere near comfortable enough on the ball. Saliba needs to be integrated, his ability on the ball would mke a big difference.

I get what you're saying about another like Partey who can beat a man and dribble, we need one more like that. But maybe there's also an argument to have a controller, someone who can dictate a game with the ball at their feet, not necessarily just a tackler/dribbler. Someone like Verratti. Obviously easier to want that than to actually find it.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
-----------------Leno
Hakimi* - Saliba - Gabriel - Tierney
Buendia* - Partey - Bissouma* - Saka
----------Vlahovic* - Auba

Narrow 4-4-2/4-2-2-2. ESR competing with Buendia, Martinelli competing with Auba.

In this order:
1. Jack Grealish
2. Eduardo Camavinga (2nd option Bissouma)
3. Emi Buendia
4. Emerson Royal
5. Odsonne Eduard (or a striker who has good link up, like Alexander Isak, or even Ivan Toney)
6. Kristoffer Ajer (if Saliba has no future here, or we get rid of other defenders). Good partner for Gabriel/Saliba; very tall, but decent pace, excellent reader of the game, can play out of the back.
7. Any decent goal keeper if we sell Leno.

Goal keeper
Emerson Saliba Gabriel K.T
Partey
Buendia Camavinga
Saka Striker Grealish

Even Arteta should win the league with that team. Top 3 will be the bare minimum.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

The thread should be changed from wishlist to pipedream. None of the players mentioned (that would actually improve us) would even look in our direction with the rudderless state we're in.

We need to simply jettison the deadweight and rethink our entire recruitment strategy.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
The thread should be changed from wishlist to pipedream. None of the players mentioned (that would actually improve us) would even look in our direction with the rudderless state we're in.

We need to simply jettison the deadweight and rethink our entire recruitment strategy.

Every player mentioned are at lesser clubs right now. Despite our current position players will still jump at the chance to join us, especially players like Bissouma.

If you're calling Bissouma a pipedream then that's worrying.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

Every player mentioned are at lesser clubs right now. Despite our current position players will still jump at the chance to join us, especially players like Bissouma.

If you're calling Bissouma a pipedream then that's worrying.

Fair enough, but Bissouma would essentially be the only one making a step up.

Additionally, we might get a free run at him because, unlike the others (i.e Grealish and Camavinga), we'd be the only ones interested.

Top Bottom