• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Wish List

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Sarri in with his pal Koulibaly.

Out: Kolasinac, Luiz, El Nenny (free), Bellerin (20m), Mavropanos (10m), Holding (15m), Xhaka (20m), Nelson (20m), Willock (loan), Nketiah (15m).

jgirolami

I was thinking this before even coming on this page.
Sell
heccy B 20m
calum Cham 10m
r. Nelson 8m
m.elneny 8m
g.Dhaka 10m
lacabloodclot 10m
nketiah 10m
guendoozi 10m
torreira 10m
willoch 20m
niles 15m

let go
luiz
ceballos
Ødegaard
willian
kolasinac
sokratis
mustafi

That should bring in 130m in transfers and save going forward 1.6m a week in wages.
Add 50m the club should be putting towards transfers that means 180m for transfers alone.

That equates to 4 * 45m signings on 125k per week.
saving also 52m a year in wages equals another 45m player plus wages.

We could bring in 5 * 45m players and add Saliba makes 6 new players that can catapult us back to some kind of normality.

look at those players.... the only one you can say you would probably miss is laca and possibly Ødegaard. But we could buy him back as one of the 5.

HaffBR

Designer of fancy pyramids
Fabian Ruiz (~ 60 M) - CM
Brandt (~ 35 M) - CM/CAM/LW
Emerson Royal (~ 25 M) - RB
Matheus Cunha (~ 35 M) - ST/CAM/LW
Areola (25 M)
Ryan (Free)
Backup LB (10 M)
Total: 190 M

---------------------------- Areola (Ryan) --------------------------
Royal (Cedric) -- Saliba (Chambers) - Gabriel (Mari) - Tierney (LB)
--------------------------- Partey (Elneny) -------------------------
------------ Fabian Ruiz (Willock) - Julian Brandt (ESR) -----------
Saka (Pepe) ----- Aubameyang (Matheus Cunha) ---- Martinelli (Nelson)

Fabian fits better than SMS... I'm not sure between Aouar and Julian Brandt, but they would cost about the same imo, perhaps Aouar some 5-10 M more.

Last edited:

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Three major signings: Bentancur (Caqueret), Hakimi (Mukiele), Grealish
Two prospects: Olise, Doig (Buchanan/Caci etc.)

Leno (Ryan)
Hakimi (Cedric) - Saliba (Holding/McGuinnes) - Gabriel (Marí) - Tierney (Doig)
Bentancur (Azeez)
Partey (Willock) - Smith-Rowe (Olise)
Saka (Pepe) - Auba (Balogun) - Grealish (Martinelli)​

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Dream scenario: Aouar/Grealish, Caminvinga, Bissouma/Berge, Aarons/Emerson and Onana. The names I've bolded are the players who I believe will be easier to obtain.

Auba
Aouar-ESR-Saka
Camivinga-Partey
Tierney-Gabriel-Saliba-Aarons
Onana

Subs: Berge/Bissouma, Pepe, Martinelli, Balogun, Azeez, Chambers, Ryan, Betrand and Holding.

Is this team good enough to get top 4?

Iceman10

Established Member
Three major signings: Bentancur (Caqueret), Hakimi (Mukiele), Grealish
Two prospects: Olise, Doig (Buchanan/Caci etc.)

Leno (Ryan)
Hakimi (Cedric) - Saliba (Holding/McGuinnes) - Gabriel (Marí) - Tierney (Doig)
Bentancur (Azeez)
Partey (Willock) - Smith-Rowe (Olise)
Saka (Pepe) - Auba (Balogun) - Grealish (Martinelli)​
Just not convinced with attacking full backs, and the need for them. Tierney is more than enough for one side and we would actually have enough to sort out to deal with absence of Xhaka who helps the LB to push up. Would prefer the RB to mainly be someone reliable defensively, a bit like Bacary Sagna used to be for us. The #10 and forwards can take care of attack themselves and have confidence to be fluid position-wise (roaming, interchange) as long as there was reliable defensive support from CM and full backs.

This also speaks to overall balance because I think Arsenal in general has failed a lot with the three up front over the last decade or so because the goalscoring output with the wide men hasn't been there, so I hope next season we see more goals from Saka, Pepe, Martinelli. We should as long as Arteta does not overcoach then position-wise and defensive-wise and I think freedom for them really hinges on defensive solidity of full backs more than anything else.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Dream scenario: Aouar/Grealish, Caminvinga, Bissouma/Berge, Aarons/Emerson and Onana. The names I've bolded are the players who I believe will be easier to obtain.

Auba
Aouar-ESR-Saka
Camivinga-Partey
Tierney-Gabriel-Saliba-Aarons
Onana

Subs: Berge/Bissouma, Pepe, Martinelli, Balogun, Azeez, Chambers, Ryan, Betrand and Holding.

Is this team good enough to get top 4?
On paper it should be good enough to compete with the current squads of Utd, Leicester and Liverpool for the spots behind City and Chelski. Though I don't think United won't need that much to potentially compete for the league - a high quality DM/CM and perhaps a CB. Liverpool and Leicester should be improving their squads as well.

Problem for me is that this team lacks experience and leadership, both of which I think are very underestimated among fans. Auba's not it and I think we'd be more successful with Laca in his place. It's also why I would've liked to see Luiz stay on for another year and help Gabriel mature and Saliba to integrate as well as Xhaka to be kept in the team, although as backup. It's also why I don't think a player like Sabitzer would be good for us and why I believe we need a Grealish or Buendia who has a bit of temperament and fight in them as well as at least some experience of PL/English football.

Dutch D

Just not convinced with attacking full backs, and the need for them. Tierney is more than enough for one side and we would actually have enough to sort out to deal with absence of Xhaka who helps the LB to push up. Would prefer the RB to mainly be someone reliable defensively, a bit like Bacary Sagna used to be for us. The #10 and forwards can take care of attack themselves and have confidence to be fluid position-wise (roaming, interchange) as long as there was reliable defensive support from CM and full backs.
Tierney isn't even that attacking if you look at it, though, just one goal and two assists this season. He has a great engine, is defensively solid and has a good cross, but I think he's also somewhat limited in terms of passing/dribbling in the final third. I think we could afford an attacking right back in our line up. I do flip back and forth myself between wanting Hakimi and Mukiele (and Mazraoui, but I have injury concerns). Reason I went with Hakimi, is because I want us to play exciting attacking football again and he can contribute a lot both with pressures when we play a high line (which we can with Saliba and Gabriel, not with Luiz, Holding, Mari) and he's just a great technician so he can create and combine in the final third. Pepe on the right isn't much of a creator, think a creative force behind him will allow him to play closer to the goal and focus on what he does best: being a goalscoring winger.

This also speaks to overall balance because I think Arsenal in general has failed a lot with the three up front over the last decade or so because the goalscoring output with the wide men hasn't been there, so I hope next season we see more goals from Saka, Pepe, Martinelli. We should as long as Arteta does not overcoach then position-wise and defensive-wise and I think freedom for them really hinges on defensive solidity of full backs more than anything else.
We haven't really played three up front except when we play 3-4-3, though. 4-3-3 with an anchor is a formation I haven't seen from Arteta as far as I can remember. It's mostly been 4-2-3-1. I think our lack of goals up front stem mostly from issues in our midfield, rather than goalscoring ability on the wings (be it Saka, Pepe, or Auba). Our 'double pivot' just lacks progressive passes and carries to put our attackers into position.

That's why I would like to see the above formation, because I think it would give us more impetus going forward.

Iceman10

Established Member
Tierney isn't even that attacking if you look at it, though, just one goal and two assists this season. He has a great engine, is defensively solid and has a good cross, but I think he's also somewhat limited in terms of passing/dribbling in the final third. I think we could afford an attacking right back in our line up. I do flip back and forth myself between wanting Hakimi and Mukiele (and Mazraoui, but I have injury concerns). Reason I went with Hakimi, is because I want us to play exciting attacking football again and he can contribute a lot both with pressures when we play a high line (which we can with Saliba and Gabriel, not with Luiz, Holding, Mari) and he's just a great technician so he can create and combine in the final third. Pepe on the right isn't much of a creator, think a creative force behind him will allow him to play closer to the goal and focus on what he does best: being a goalscoring winger.

We haven't really played three up front except when we play 3-4-3, though. 4-3-3 with an anchor is a formation I haven't seen from Arteta as far as I can remember. It's mostly been 4-2-3-1. I think our lack of goals up front stem mostly from issues in our midfield, rather than goalscoring ability on the wings (be it Saka, Pepe, or Auba). Our 'double pivot' just lacks progressive passes and carries to put our attackers into position.

That's why I would like to see the above formation, because I think it would give us more impetus going forward.
Heat map analysis shows Tierney as generally quite attacking for us despite productivity (stats) in a stop start season for him, and as mentioned, with Xhaka supporting that. We'll see where getting better CM's takes us, I don't want a revolution in formation at this point even though I find it tempting at times, particularly in my mind to go with something closer to two strikers, which just isn't going to happen for a while at least.

The idea of full backs pushing up to help forwards come inside and be closer to goal and the CF is of course sound, but we all know what that means when it comes to susceptibility to counterattacks, something upgrading CM should help with, but I am still concerned about RCB at this point as well; we've already seen what happens when Bellerin leaves space to exploit on that side of the pitch.

Dutch D

Heat map analysis shows Tierney as generally quite attacking for us despite productivity (stats) in a stop start season for him.
Yeah, that's fair. He is high up the pitch, but he does have the engine to be where he needs to be defensively.

The idea of full backs pushing up to help forwards come inside and be closer to goal and the CF is of course sound, but we all know what that means when it comes to susceptibility to counterattacks, something upgrading CM should help with, but I am still concerned about RCB at this point as well; we've already seen what happens when Bellerin leaves space to exploit on that side of the pitch.
Yeah, the strategy could result in vulnerability to counterattacks when the press/high-line isn't executed properly. So the concerns are valid. I am going by the assumption that we'd have a functioning tactical plan, which might be too much to ask of Arteta (I'm hoping for a new manager).

Assuming it will work a lot of teams will have difficulty beating a press with Tierney, Hakimi, Bentancur, Partey and Smith-Rowe, though. In our current tactics we don't actually press or play with a high-line due to our dreadful defenders and double pivot. As a result, when Bellerin is caught high up the pitch, we have left acres of space for the opposition to exploit as our defenders are sitting deep and don't have the pace to close down. I am not worried about RCB as long as we integrate Saliba. He has amazing passing range (stats) and seems to have very good positioning (based on his high number of interceptions) and looks to have above average pace. Think he's the exact profile we need at RCB alongside a more aggressive Gabriel, except for his age (the ocassional mistake due to lack of experience I am willing to take for granted).

Iceman10

Established Member
Yeah, that's fair. He is high up the pitch, but he does have the engine to be where he needs to be defensively.

Yeah, the strategy could result in vulnerability to counterattacks when the press/high-line isn't executed properly. So the concerns are valid. I am going by the assumption that we'd have a functioning tactical plan, which might be too much to ask of Arteta (I'm hoping for a new manager).

Assuming it will work a lot of teams will have difficulty beating a press with Tierney, Hakimi, Bentancur, Partey and Smith-Rowe, though. In our current tactics we don't actually press or play with a high-line due to our dreadful defenders and double pivot. As a result, when Bellerin is caught high up the pitch, we have left acres of space for the opposition to exploit as our defenders are sitting deep and don't have the pace to close down. I am not worried about RCB as long as we integrate Saliba. He has amazing passing range (stats) and seems to have very good positioning (based on his high number of interceptions) and looks to have above average pace. Think he's the exact profile we need at RCB alongside a more aggressive Gabriel, except for his age (the ocassional mistake due to lack of experience I am willing to take for granted).
Didn't say by the way but the reason I responded to your WL in the first place was it looked good, just with my question about full back. Grealish with personality and left footed is good for our needs, definitely would have him in my WL as well, and the others in there look.good also. If the club is interested in Manor Solomon they really should be looking at Olise also.

Jakarta

In:
CM/CDM - Gravenberch / Caqueret (Alt)
CM/CDM - Guimaraes / Locatelli (Alt)
CM/CDM - Azeez
RCB - Pavard / Tomiyasu (Alt)
RB - Dest / Calabria (Alt)
CAM - Buendia / Nkunku (Alt)
RW/LW - Brekalo / De La Vega (Alt)
GK - Meslier (if Leno leaves)
FW - Folarin Balogun
FW - Vlahovic (if Lacazette leaves)
BACKUP GK - Ryan / Woodman (Alt)
BACKUP LB - Robinson

------------- Vlahovic -------------
Martinelli --- Buendia ---- Saka
--- Gravenberch - Guimaraes ----
Tierney - Gabriel-Pavard -Dest
-------------- Meslier --------------

This Vlahovic guy looks absolutely dangerous.

I would snap him up whilst everyone is obsessed with Kane/Haaland.

Latest posts

Top Bottom