• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Wish List

Sith_Gooner

I would like to see how that fella who played for Monaco last season....Rothen might fit into set up, he really impressed me in CL.

Adriano up front with Henry maybe?

Anti Niemi in goal, the guys a brick wall when it comes to shot stopping!!!

asajoseph

Established Member
I don't understand - our defence is a shambles but we score lots of goals. We are given 30 mil (roughly) to spend. And you advocate blowing the lot on attacking players, then search for defensive scraps?

It makes no sense.

Neo_McKane

Right.
Maybe we could get defoe or kanoute, or maybe anelka.
As for defenders, i think King would be a great signing.
Midfielders,... ..., Joaquin.
GK, there's a whole list :wink: Niemi, Stekelenburg, Morgan De Scantis

Sith_Gooner

asajoseph said:
I don't understand - our defence is a shambles but we score lots of goals. We are given 30 mil (roughly) to spend. And you advocate blowing the lot on attacking players, then search for defensive scraps?

It makes no sense.

Im not too sure if its the individual defenders that the problem asajoseph, Im wondering if its the cover they receive, or lack of it?

Back on the ranch..... I would like to see how Doula of Sporting Lisbon would fair on our LM, he looks electric, reminds me of a young Thierry Henry whizzing up the wing va va voom!!!!!

asajoseph

Established Member
Fair enough sith - my comment was actually more directed at Luma.

The point is though, that no matter where we sign players, we're going to be dumping current first teamers. Whilst I like SWP, and believe he can do a good job for the club, replacing Freddie Ljungberg should be a lower priority than replacing Kolo Toure, as Freddie is the better first-teamer, and heck, is playing quite well!

My stance has always been this.

Kolo and Sol make a good partnership, they complement each other, and Sol is a good enough player to make up for Kolo's positional deficiencies. Our problems come, when Sol is injured, and, this season, that's happened rather a lot. Whilst this may just be a series of unfortunate events, it has shown that our defence DOES rely on him a hell of a lot, and when he's out, we're weak there. So what's the solution? We need a CB that can form a good partnership in defence with Kolo, sitting on the bench, when Sol is out. But where on earth would such a player come from? How many quality players are there who would come to Arsenal with the specific mandate of sitting on the bench? There might be one or two, but it might be problematic finding them. Far simpler, in my eyes, especially when we have money to spend, is to prevent ourselves from having this problem in the first place, and dropping Kolo from the first team. Yes, it'll hurt the more sentimental among us, but it seems to be the most sensible way to solve this problem, even if it is a touch ruthless.

Besides, I think the fact that even Arsène had dropped Kolo from the CB position in favour of Cygan, until Pascal got injured, indicates that Arsène may have lost faith too.

Sith_Gooner

Sorry Asa, I just slapped my wrist's mate. :)

You ARE right though, we Do need a reserve/partner for Kolo.

But, as much as I admire Lauren, why can we find a remanent quality CB like some of those who have been suggested, and stick Kolo at RB? He has played there, and very well in the past. Lauren can then fill the midfield problems when they arise, he was actually a midfielder when he arrived. What do you think??

Robinho

Heitenga(Sp) from Ajax (8m?)
Hitlebrat (Sp) from Stuttgard (6m) or Frey from Parma(6m)
SWP(13m)

I think that's realistic and covers our weaknesses well. I dunno how those prices would figure out. I think Toure should play RB defo.

Reyes must stay. :x

asajoseph

Established Member
Hmmm...

Just from the players that have been linked to us so far, I think my dream summer would be...

Hildebrand
Chivu
Hleb

That should be well within our budget.

Ratinho

Established Member
Proto (£3m)
Kuffour (£0)
Hleb (£6m)

That's what I think we will get, and there's every chance Wenger will blow a wod on someone like Wright-Phillips for £12m~.

Ratinho

Established Member
asajoseph said:
I SERIOUSLY doubt you'd get Hleb for 6 million. That is VERY cheap.

Not really. He's a very good player, at a medium sized club, and I think £6m is realistic for a plyer like this.

asajoseph

Established Member
Well, given the likely competition from the likes for Man Utd, Chelsea and possibly other european clubs, it's likely that the final price will be even more than that. Especially given that Lyon have absolutely no need to sell him.

Ratinho

Established Member
There is a difference between what players are worth, and what you'd have to pay. I think Hleb and SWP are worth similar amounts (£6-8m) but I think a starting bid of £6m would be acceptable for Hleb, going no higher than £8-9m, and a starting bid of £8m, going no higher than £9-11m for SWP.

You know as well as I do that it is easier to buy outside of England.

asajoseph

Established Member
I'm sure I've had this discussion many many times before, and I don't want to get into it again - there is no database kept by the FA of player's values. The amount a player is 'worth' in financial terms, is determined by one thing, and one thing alone, just like every single comodity. The footballing market. He might be 'worth' only 9 million to Arsenal, a team with a 30 mil transfer budget and 3 holes to fill, but to a team like Chelsea with a 100 mil transfer budget, he might be 'worth' 20 mil. The only figure that means anything though, is the highest offer a player's club recieves, and whether or not it is higher than the value they feel the player is worth to them.

How do you get to your figures, of how much a player is objectively 'worth'?

Ratinho

Established Member
Exactly, i'm going by what we should pay, like I said in my post.

And I get my figures the only way any of us can, by knowledge of football and previous transfers, and our own opinion.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom