• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

They are called Referees

Are you for VAR or not?

• Total voters

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

Yeah, at the moment it feels like they are trying to make it look difficult and time-consuming, even though it's incredibly simple.

Maybe they should consult with some associations of different sports who have used it for years, bunch of incompetent idiots.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐

You can only hope VAR improves and gets used more over the years, because I have no faith in the standards of referees improving..

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
ive always been annoyed by the leniency to physical challenges in england. in a low scoring game like football, theres no need to give defenders more advantages over attackers!

Can go the other way, too. Watched Dortmund - Stuttgart today and the ref stopped any physical contact on both sides. A bit of tussling for the ball, slight shoulder to shoulder haggling in sprinting duels, etc. He basically banned any and all physicality from the game. Horrible. And through this constant interrupting of the game he also thwarted any emerging sort of rhythm. That's bad refereeing, too.

But I have to agree on being overtly lenient towards overly physical and outright dangerous fouls. Have seen some bad, bad stuff in the Bundesliga this season. Kehrer going for Kruse's leg with both feet, resulting in the latter being out injured: Not punished. Casteels breaking Gentner's face: Not punished.

Brown Gooner

DoN'T ceNsOR maH FreE SpEecH
English referees are quite possibly the worst in Europe. Narcissists and Egomaniacs!

Always want to make the big games all about themselves. Dean, Atkinson, Mason, Marriner and now Oliver are all scumbags!

Despite having the wealthiest football league in Europe, the quality of officiating in England is absolutely pathetic. Unsurprisingly none of these clowns has been selected for the World Cup.

Brown Gooner

@Brown Gooner you clearly need to read the rules before you judge football
Yes I will. ;)

EDIT: Seriously though it doesn’t surprise me one bit seeing Brits standing up for Brits!

Gab Marcotti though (a football journalist) raised a very good point regarding the Buffon red card. Oliver was head shoved by Joe Hart in the past but didn’t show a red for that but he did yesterday. Double standards galore :lol:

Last edited:

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Yes I will. ;)

EDIT: Seriously though it doesn’t surprise me one bit seeing Brits standing up for Brits!

Gab Marcotti though (a football journalist) raised a very good point regarding the Buffon red card. Oliver was head shoved by Joe Hart in the past but didn’t show a red for that but he did yesterday. Double standards galore :lol:

So because he didn’t give it once years ago he can never give it a red card in the future. :lol:

Brown Gooner

Doesn’t surprise me one bit. Sadly England is still in the stone age when it comes to football.

If VAR was to be introduced United won’t be able to score late offside goals, Sp**s won’t be able to win penalties by diving and most importantly the entire PL referee roster (Dean, Atkinson, Marriner, Moss, Oliver, Mason, etc.) would need to be fired.

IMHO Louise is the best Referee in England. I’ve seen her as a lineswoman in a few games and she has almost always made the right decision.

Last edited:

Brown Gooner

Yeah, at the moment it feels like they are trying to make it look difficult and time-consuming, even though it's incredibly simple.

Maybe they should consult with some associations of different sports who have used it for years, bunch of incompetent idiots.
^ This.

If VAR is followed properly and smartly it won’t take much time and will correct 90% of the howlers we are seeing more and more often nowadays from referees. However, if VAR was to be seriously implemented many big teams (United, Real, Barca, etc..) won’t be able to snatch late wins with the help of incorrect officiating.

Such a shame that football is so damn corrupt and run by greedy oligarchs!

ptrcopp

VAR doesn't have to ruin the flow of the game, only use it for the really big calls. Penalties, red cards and important offside calls that the ref is unsure of. The ref should still be expected to make 95+% of calls on his own, on the spot. It's important to restrict it's use for the sake of the game.

It'll take time to perfect. It will probably look a bit of a hindrance at times now but that's why it's restricted to the cups. In time it'll become more efficient hopefully and be used in the league.

That is what it isn’t being used for. Only ever to correct the referee when he has made a clear and obvious error (eg offside and mistaken identity) and matched changing incidents.
I think the main issue is that it is being reviewed after every goal. That isn’t necessary. It was also why the crowd in the Sp**s game were getting heated; it took a time away from the match they should be watching and ultimately it seemed as if they were looking at something, trying that find anything. That is the only issue I would try and resolve. Maybe for each goal you could give captain/ manager three strikes - ie only checking when there is a complaint.

ptrcopp

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I don't see what the problem is with just accepting it wont run perfectly smooth until it eventually does, and you arrive there by persevering with it ffs. Bottom line: It ****ing works.

Borussin

AM's Resident Dortmund Fan
some quite crazy VAR going on at the Mainz 05 vs SC Freiburg game tonight.

Players had gone to their locker-rooms at half time, when the ref had to go and get them back onto the pitch, because VAR had spotted a handball in the box, so gave Mainz a penalty. Which they scored from.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Is there a reason why the replays weren't shown before? I know that it was banned before but with the induction of VAR it just seemed like common sense.

People will say it'll give refs a harder time with fan bias but that's going to happen regardless anyway.

GeorgiaGunner

#FreeClaude
Like this development. Makes it alot more fun inside the stadium when reviewing just like with other sports now.

I go to quite a few MLS games these days and it’s totally part of the spectacle, putting aside the value of every goal existing without a question mark hanging over it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom