• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

They are called Referees

Are you for VAR or not?

• Total voters

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Bullsheyite refereeing for our game against ManUre.

First Nelson is tripped for their goal, then AMN is felled inside the penalty

Giroud12

Bullsheyite refereeing for our game against ManUre.

First Nelson is tripped for their goal, then AMN is felled inside the penalty

Nothing new here - Stoke, WBA, Watford, City, United home, its just another game in a line of truly terrible refereeing performances this season

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Nothing new here - Stoke, WBA, Watford, City, United home, its just another game in a line of truly terrible refereeing performances this season
beyond ridiculous.

there should be a committee which looks at this. Rate each referee, mistakes made, and the impact of that mistake.

Giroud12

beyond ridiculous.

there should be a committee which looks at this. Rate each referee, mistakes made, and the impact of that mistake.

Soon it will all be over. Naturally manu (shocker) and the dinosaurs are fighting all they can, but VAR is here to stay

Brown Gooner

DoN'T ceNsOR maH FreE SpEecH
Lol what does the referee adjacent to the goal do in European competitions?

First awarding a penalty for that Welbeck fall against Milan at home and now missing Marcelo’s blatant handball in front of him in the box against Bayern? :lol:

Really looks like the most useless and incompetent specimens of the human species are hired for the job of football officials. :confused:

In almost any other job you’d get fired for such gigantic screwups! :mad:

Stannis

not that I want to be defending United, but how is Noble not getting a red for that

You cant put your hands on someones face let alone gouge their eyes
Honestly just because some teams are sh it doesnt mean they should get such a leeway.

Still, remember horrendous shoulder barge that Arnouthvic did to knock Debuchy off the pitch, effectively killed Debuchy's career here before it started, didnt even get a card.

Imagine if Xhaka or even Pogba did this to any player

Brown Gooner

The system of VAR is great in theory but it will remain sh!tyy in practice because of the idiotic incompetent referees who are handling it.

The VAR use in today’s DFB Pokal final was absolutely shameful. Blatant handball involved in lead up to the second Frankfurt goal and the stupid referee ignores it despite seeing the replay. Then stonewall penalty on Javi Martinez with Kevin Prince Boateng fouling him in the box from behind. Yet the referee doesn’t get it right despite seeing the replay.

It seems as if the referees all over are a ****ing joke!

If users here keep their anti-Bayern sentiments aside and view this objectively then this has to be a scandalous use of VAR technology!

NieThePiet

Loves Overhyping Our Rivals
It was nothing against the VAR.

Zwayer goes to the sideline, wachted it surely 10 times, top quality and he decides against it. You can have the best technology, it will not work if the ref is horrible.

Brown Gooner

You can have the best technology, it will not work if the ref is horrible.
^This^

I could do a better job with the technology than these useless referees.

It’s as if these assholes have egos too big to correct themselves through VAR and are so full of themselves that they are actively trying to sabotage the use of technology in Soccer.

IslingtonBornandbred

^This^

I could do a better job with the technology than these useless referees.

It’s as if these assholes have egos too big to correct themselves through VAR and are so full of themselves that they are actively trying to sabotage the use of technology in Soccer.

You doing you're license then? Get on a referee's course and you'll find out how easy or hard it is. I've just seen the second Frankurt goal and I'm telling you now if you put 50 FIFA referee's in a room with experienced tutors and all the IFAB guys who are in charge of the Laws of the Game there will be a majority decision that it was called correct and it wasn't deliberate handball. So what we are looking at here is not the referee's mistake, not an error with VAR, but a belief from some fans or spectator that in their opinion it should have been handball when in reality according to the rule book they got it right. A bit like the Buffon incident vs Juventus. The Juve president was crying for VAR because he felt wronged but all VAR would have done is confirm it was a penalty. So what are we saying here? That the referee was wrong or a fan incorrectly thinks it's the wrong decision. The only way either of those two calls mentioned above are wrong is if you go back and rip up the rule book and change it as suits to fit your personal preference.

I've been against VAR in it's current format since I've seen it for a variety of reasons, but that's another story. Football is a game where many of the laws of the game are open to interpretation by each individual referee and then you throw a VAR into the mix as well and it becomes complicated. There is a VAR handbook with dozens of pages of little nuances, rules and certain things are quite difficult to implement because it's more complicated in regards to when and how you use it for the positive without allowing it to negatively effect other things. There are things like goal line technology, ball in and out of play using HawkEye , and potentially offsides (once they clear up the law for VAR) that are generally matter of fact but there tons of situations where it's difficult to implement VAR because you'll get one referee or referee tutor who says it's a deliberate handball and another that say's it isn't.

Even though the technology isn't at fault per say, the laws of the game were written without the consideration of technology and it's difficult for the referees to work around this with so many different factors at play. That's one of the reasons I am not a fan of VAR. It's not ready. It's not that simple. The whole of the laws of the game need to be ripped up and rewritten and in doing so you'll be changing the game at the top level forever.

Brown Gooner

You doing you're license then? Get on a referee's course and you'll find out how easy or hard it is. I've just seen the second Frankurt goal and I'm telling you now if you put 50 FIFA referee's in a room with experienced tutors and all the IFAB guys who are in charge of the Laws of the Game there will be a majority decision that it was called correct and it wasn't deliberate handball. So what we are looking at here is not the referee's mistake, not an error with VAR, but a belief from some fans or spectator that in their opinion it should have been handball when in reality according to the rule book they got it right. A bit like the Buffon incident vs Juventus. The Juve president was crying for VAR because he felt wronged but all VAR would have done is confirm it was a penalty.

I've been against VAR in it's current format since I've seen it for a variety of reasons, but that's another story. Football is a game where many of the laws of the game are open to interpretation by each individual referee and then you throw a VAR into the mix as well and it becomes complicated. There is a VAR handbook with dozens of pages of little nuances, rules and certain things are quite difficult to implement because it's more complicated in regards to when and how you use it for the positive without allowing it to negatively effect other things. There are things like goal line technology, ball in and out of play using HawkEye , and potentially offsides (once they clear up the law for VAR) that are generally matter of fact but there tons of situations where it's difficult to implement VAR because you'll get one referee or referee tutor who says it's a deliberate handball and another that say's it isn't.

Even though the technology isn't at fault per say, the laws of the game were written without the consideration of technology and it's difficult for the referees to work around this with so many different factors at play. That's one of the reasons I am not a fan of VAR. It's not ready. It's not that simple. The whole of the laws of the game need to be ripped up and rewritten and in doing so you'll be changing the game at the top level forever.
After the game; Heynckes, Kovac, Bayern players and Frankfurt players were all shown replays of the Kevin Prince Boateng foul on Javi Martinez in the dying minutes of injury time and every one unanimously agreed that it was a clear foul inside the box and should definitely have been a penalty for Bayern.

Conspiracy theory: This seems like some reverse Calciopoli stuff where the DFB wants to deliberately screw over Bayern to make German football look “more competitive.”

Also VAR works fine in the MLS, strangely it’s only top European leagues that seem to be having such a hard time with something so straightforward (at least in theory)

IslingtonBornandbred

After the game; Heynckes, Kovac, Bayern players and Frankfurt players were all shown replays of the Kevin Prince Boateng foul on Javi Martinez in the dying minutes of injury time and every one unanimously agreed that it was a clear foul inside the box and should definitely have been a penalty for Bayern.

Conspiracy theory: This seems like some reverse Calciopoli stuff where the DFB wants to deliberately screw over Bayern to make German football look “more competitive.”

Also VAR works fine in the MLS, strangely it’s only top European leagues that seem to be having such a hard time with something so straightforward (at least in theory)

I didn't see the Martinez incident, I don't have time but appreciate your point of view.

I haven't really seen it in MLS really apart from what looks like the referees go to the TV screen on the side of the pitch a bit easier and quicker than European referees who depend on the video ref a bit more. Another thing just for reference is each country and individual association uses VAR differently with a different set of rules and formats. What they do in MLS is different to how they use it in England for example.

I know you said in theory but like I said I don't think it's that easy hence the various bumps in the road. The World Cup will be fun!

I go to quite a few MLS games these days and it’s totally part of the spectacle, putting aside the value of every goal existing without a question mark hanging over it.
Just catching up with this thread.
Indeed, VAR is the right thing to do. Anyone who remembers the Lampard disallowed England WC goal will vouch for that.
It needs a bit of refining, but will get there eventually.
If rugby, cricket, tennis, US sports can make it work, then why not football?

PS. Quick Quiz Question
WHAT WAS THE FIRST GOAL LINE TECHNOLOGY ?

IslingtonBornandbred

Just catching up with this thread.
Indeed, VAR is the right thing to do. Anyone who remembers the Lampard disallowed England WC goal will vouch for that.
It needs a bit of refining, but will get there eventually.
If rugby, cricket, tennis, US sports can make it work, then why not football?

PS. Quick Quiz Question
WHAT WAS THE FIRST GOAL LINE TECHNOLOGY ?

Just for reference, the Lampard goal or any "did the ball cross the line" situations are taken care of by goal line technology, nothing to do with VAR.

Top Bottom