• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

They are called Referees

Are you for VAR or not?

• Total voters

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

It seems silly not to get utilize all the cameras present. The game is simply too fast, and the players too shifty, to leave this to the referees. There is no way they can keep up.

How you implement VAR is another matter, but the refs need help.

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

Player:Martinelli
Can't believe this is not in place already. How can the right people not have figured out a system that works yet? Unreal. If i sat down with 10 people for 8 hours i could have 5 good examples how to use this in different ways and people could vote then we have it done. It's not that fu**ing hard. Anyone against a good solution only needs to be met with the question "Is it better that players/managers abuse the system to get an unfair advantage versus teams that play fair?" and they should be shut up.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
The big thing remains the human error. No matter how you design the system and rules, that remains and the weak spot. Devide the burden of decision making on more shoulders and the system will get better. One on field ref with two independet VAR ref teams in different locations instead of only one. Increases the chances of someone seeing things, increases the speed of evaluating situations/decisions. It will slow down the game significantly for longer discussion periods, but it will make it fairer. They also have to be understood as assistants to the ref to help him deal with the speed of the modern game, not another ruling entity. Make them come in for anything, not just the big decisions: Tactical fouls, offisde, etc. We'lle see more rewinds in games, but I think it's worth it. The linesman doesn't need a call from his ref to call an offside, he calls it himself and the ref doesn't question it. VAR, especially with two VAR teams, should be the biggest decider as it actually is reviewed on video and in slow mo, and the ref should just mostly trust his video assistants. For big decisions, go in and have a look yourself and discuss.

And even before bringing in VAR at all, the rules should have been reformed to be more clear. Even before the speed of the game, the unclear phrasing of rules is probably the biggest problem right now. Rework the rules and make the refs study them all the time. And that's another thing: Make refereeing a real job with real pay. Make it a small elite circle of highly trained professionals who are further educated all the time. Train them physically, train them mentally, train them in the rules. And then just pay them more so they can live off the job. Make it just as much refs for the whole league as there are games on a Matchday plus one stand by. That's 11 elite, full job, highly trained refs for the premier League; would be 10 for the Bundesliga.

I just found out that english refs actually earn silly good wages, BL refs earn less but still okay, but they still have other jobs. So I have to backtrack a bit and say instead of paying them more make the work more for their money and have them not have multiple jobs. Either you're a ref or a lawyer, don't be both.

Use video as a constant review of the whole game with multiple VAR teams, rework the rules to be more clear and constantly educate and train the refs to be better in their jobs.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
We might as well have robots playing the game, if we want so much technology! Human emotions, error, intelligence is what keeps things more interesiting. personally, I think VAR should be passive unless referee misses a big foul/offside/etc.

I like @Toby Andrl suggestion to make the rules clear. Handballs, offsides, dives, etc should be made more concise and relaxed.

I don't want to spend half an hour debating whether an accidental handball should have been given, or whether the players d*ck was offsside.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
I like @Toby Andrl suggestion to make the rules clear. Handballs, offsides, dives, etc should be made more concise and relaxed.

I think that actually is the biggest problem out there. When exactly is it a handball? What's a red, what's a yellow? What kind of contact in the box permits a penalty? If that gets more clear, the refs will get better. And then VAR can be used to assist them in making the correct decisions.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
VAR is better than no VAR but there has to be someone not on the pitch able to tell the ref to stop when something has gone seriously wrong and he's missed it.

No, it's not worse to have a few delays - you have them in every game anyway when the side ahead tries to run down the clock - than to forever remember a game for the dive, the handball, the goal that never was.

I don't agree with the captains having a call or two because this would be used frivolously to break up the tempo of the game or to retaliate because a team is sore about not having got an earlier decision. Happens in tennis. I can just see it, Argentina 1-0 in a world cup final and they demand VAR be used twice in injury time for contentious throw-ins in the middle of the park.

ptrcopp

Thought this deserved a bump after last night.

I’m all for VAR, but I thought Kane was offside from the VAR still, and the one from Chelsea confirms it.

Reactions: A_G

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
It's interesting how the discussion of whether it was offside or not, has completely dropped the issue that Kane has dived like a salmon.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
kanechelsea_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqsHrB-FK1hUUzbeQz8HdoFYObiFA4B4s2wYr_6Bh3HCo.PNG

Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Established Member
How is that not offside? Bunch of idiots. He can score with his head and his head is ahead of the drawn line.

If they give that they can quit VAR all together.

And isn't the FA banning players for diving retrospectively? That means Kane out for three matches.

Probably not though

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
VAR is better than no VAR. But it won’t stop controversy because the rules have been tinkered with and muddled up over too many years.

The offside rule is crazy, different phases of play and decisions about not interfering . . . too complex.

Handball, obstruction, diving . . . all very difficult to decide, even in slow motion and a panel of judges.

VAR is better than no VAR. But it won’t stop controversy because the rules have been tinkered with and muddled up over too many years.

The offside rule is crazy, different phases of play and decisions about not interfering . . . too complex.

Handball, obstruction, diving . . . all very difficult to decide, even in slow motion and a panel of judges.

Yeah the rules are huge problems in this most popular sport. It actually gives the referees insane power to decide games because they can interpret rules 'almost' in any way they want too. And if that isn't the problem then we have problem of referees not up for it and can't keep track on things like handball, offside, etc...

I usually have to watch 5 hours of chess after Arsenal game because I need something solid and reliable in my life when referees **** up our games.

People lose their **** about VAR getting 1 thing wrong every now and then more than a referee getting 5 things wrong in one game. It's proper weird.

Honestly you shouldn't get anything wrong with VAR. Either the rules themselves are broken or there is corruption going on if VAR is failing.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Yeah the rules are huge problems in this most popular sport. It actually gives the referees insane power to decide games because they can interpret rules 'almost' in any way they want too. And if that isn't the problem then we have problem of referees not up for it and can't keep track on things like handball, offside, etc...

I usually have to watch 5 hours of chess after Arsenal game because I need something solid and reliable in my life when referees **** up our games.
There’s one more aspect to this . . it’s an arms race, that’s why the rules are getting so complex. Big bucks in the 21st Century means manipulating the rules can become the difference between winning and losing.

It’s a bit like the Government trying to cover loop holes in the tax system because clever accountants are trying to find tax avoidance measures for their wealthy clients.

Thank Wenger for the rules of chess.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom