• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

They are called Referees

Are you for VAR or not?

• Total voters

GDeep™

League is very weak
Blatant offsides can be sorted with technology. But fouls in the box is a grey area, it's one persons outlook.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Blatant offsides can be sorted with technology. But fouls in the box is a grey area, it's one persons outlook.
RepulsiveHonoredIlladopsis-size_restricted.gif

Ewarwoowar

Ref Watch: Arsenal's season analysed by Dermot Gallagher
Last Updated: 23/05/17 6:46am

We look at the key decisions impacting Arsenal in the 2016/17 season
We round up the controversial calls involving Arsenal from Ref Watch over the past 12 months.

Former top-flight referee Dermot Gallagher has been running the rule over the key decisions in the Premier League on Sky Sports News HQ every Monday, but how many have gone for and against Arsenal?

Here, we take a look at the most contentious and most important calls of the 2016/17 season, and we'll have the other top six Premier League clubs for you each day this week. Yesterday it was Manchester United, and tomorrow it's Chelsea's turn...

Leicester City 0-0 Arsenal, August 20

INCIDENT: Ahmed Musa gets past Hector Bellerin near the left-hand touchline before racing into the box, only for the Leicester forward's run to be ended by Bellerin's clumsy challenge. No foul is given.

promo296142103_3770165.jpg

Hector Bellerin brings down Ahmed Musa, but should it have been a penalty?
DERMOT'S VERDICT: Incorrect decision - I think it's a penalty, the referee obviously doesn't. I don't know why. Musa has been really clever putting himself between the player and the ball. Bellerin has got nowhere to go and he's missed the ball and taken him out. For me it's a penalty, but Mark Clattenburg saw it differently.

Arsenal 3-2 Swansea, October 15

INCIDENT: Arsenal midfielder Granit Xhaka is shown a straight red card for a reckless trip on Swansea winger Modou Barrow. Switzerland international Xhaka was given his marching orders by referee Jon Moss for blatantly tripping Barrow. No attempt was made to play the ball.

promo300834452_3809631.jpg

Granit Xhaka’s ‘dark yellow’ red card
DERMOT'S VERDICT: Correct decision - For me, this is one of the most interesting decisions of the season because, hand on heart, my immediate thought was that this was a yellow card. But having seen it again it is a red card. The reason for that is because the player has no intention whatsoever to play the ball, he can't play the ball and his sole intention is to bring the man down. Barrow took no further part in the game after the challenge so for me it ticked all the boxes for a red card.

Arsenal 1-1 Tottenham, November 6

INCIDENT: Sp**s midfielder Victor Wanyama twice clashed with Arsenal forward Theo Walcott on the right-hand touchline. The powerful Kenyan goes unpunished after a series of fouls, including an apparent elbow on Walcott towards the end of the first half that left the player holding the back of his head

Oo

promo302795015_3826065.jpg

Should Victor Wanyama have been punished?
DERMOT'S VERDICT: Correct decisions - Regarding the first one, he's used his arm but it's not violent conduct. I think the second one is just an accident. It's a foul at most - nothing more. They both are fouls but it's got to be malicious to be any more than that. I think Clattenburg refereed the game perfectly - he showed how to referee a big, big football match.

Everton 2-1 Arsenal, December 13

INCIDENT: Arsenal were not given a late penalty in their defeat at Everton after Alexis Sanchez went down in the box under a challenge by Kevin Mirallas. The Everton midfielder appeared to trip the Chilean as Arsenal pushed for an equaliser at Goodison Park, but referee Mark Clattenburg waved away their protests and the Toffees went on to win the game.

promo305934903

Everton 2-1 Arsenal
DERMOT'S VERDICT: Incorrect decision - I think it was [a penalty] because [Mirallas] didn't see Sanchez coming. He goes to kick the ball and Sanchez has nicked it away. Mirallas is unlucky, but the clue there is the ball has gone forward, so it's obvious Sanchez has won the ball and not Mirallas.

Man City 2-1 Arsenal, December 18

INCIDENT: Running onto David Silva's through ball, Leroy Sane looked to be inches ahead of the line before scoring past Petr Cech to make it 1-1 at the Etihad. The linesman gave Sane the benefit of the doubt, but Arsène Wenger claimed the goal should not have stood.

DERMOT'S VERDICT: Incorrect decision - He's marginally offside, but it's impossible to see with the naked eye. Only his boot. So I would concede it is marginally offside, but it's an incident that every referee and every linesman in the Premier League would let go.

promo306352667

Manchester City 2-1 Arsenal
Man City 2-1 Arsenal, December 18

INCIDENT: As Raheem Sterling shot past Cech to make it 2-1 to the hosts, David Silva was stood in an offside position, but was not adjudged to be impairing the goalkeeper's vision. Silva did flick out a leg, but was not in line with Cech at any point. Wenger again claimed the goal should not have stood, though Cech admitted that Silva had not come into his line of vision, and that his own Arsenal team-mates were the only players obstructing the view as they attempted to block Sterling's effort.

DERMOT'S VIEW: Correct decision - As you can see he is not impacting on the goalkeeper, he is not in direct line with him, or his vision. There is a perfect angle to show he does not impact on Cech's vision. The law says he must impact on an opponent.

Chelsea 3-1 Arsenal, February 4

INCIDENT: Marcos Alonso and Arsenal defender Hector Bellerin both jumped to attack the ball in the six-yard box with the Chelsea man winning the battle and heading home for 1-0. However, as he jumped, he caught Bellerin with his arm, knocking the full-back to the ground. Arsène Wenger called it a "100 per cent foul." The goal stood.

Chelsea 3-1 Arsenal
DERMOT'S VERDICT: Correct decision - They've both jumped with their arms in the air and both are focused on the ball. Alonso never looks at Bellerin once. It was natural contact. It would have been more of a surprise if it had been disallowed.

Ewarwoowar

Second of two posts

Arsenal 2-0 Hull, February 11

INCIDENT: Arsenal take the lead through Alexis Sanchez, who handles the ball in as it ricochets off his arm from close range. Deliberate or unintentional?

DERMOT'S VERDICT: It's a moral dilemma when you think about it, because a handball has to be deliberate. Sanchez will say it is not, but it doesn't sit right with anybody that he scored with his hand. The problem there is that it has happened so fast. Mark Clattenburg can't see it, the linesman from his angle thinks it has hit him on the chest.

The VAR (video assistant referee) will come, and the VAR will have looked at that and decided it was handball and it would have been cleared up. But with human error being what it is, he's got away with it.

Arsenal 2-0 Hull
Arsenal 2-0 Hull, February 11

INCIDENT: Last-man Kieran Gibbs brings down Lazar Markovic as the Hull midfielder looks to take control of the ball and go through on goal with the score at 1-0 to Arsenal. Gibbs is shown a yellow card by referee Mark Clattenburg.

DERMOT'S VERDICT: Incorrect decision - I think red. Because the law says the attacker must be in control of the ball or have the likelihood of being in control of the ball. All I can think is that Mark Clattenburg might think the ball is going away from Markovic.

Tottenham Hotspur 2-0 Arsenal, April 30

INCIDENT: Gabriel upends Harry Kane in the penalty area. As the Sp**s striker drives into the box, the centre-back appears to foul his man with a mistimed tackle, with referee Michael Oliver giving a penalty. Kane converted for 2-0.

Did Harry Kane 'win' a penalty in the north London derby?
DERMOT'S VERDICT: Correct decision - I think it is a penalty as he fouls Kane, who moves the ball away and Gabriel comes in and takes him out. Gabriel has initiated the contact. And this (decision) capped a first-class refereeing display because this game was handled absolutely superbly by Michael Oliver, who got everything right, the big decisions and that (decision) underpinned how good he was on the day.

----------------------------------------------------------

Only a few hundred other contentious decisions ignored, like Xhakas other soft red after Hull were
brutalizing us for sixty minutes or so, getting away with it.:rolleyes:

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...-arsenals-season-analysed-by-dermot-gallagher

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
So no mentions of how Bournemouths third goal was basicaly a carbon-copy foul on Bellerin for which they scored the penalty goal from ?

Or how at 2-1 down at Liverpool, Can should have seen his second yellow,

Second goal from Everton, coming from an inexistent corner etc...

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

I so hate Martin Atkinson! :mad:

Watching Liverpool against Man U and just remember how much I f***ing hate Martin Atkinson. Lukaku totally axed down a Liverpool player. Clear yellow, could have been red, and nothing from the c**t! Even one of the snivelling Neville brothers thought it should have been a yellow which tells you how bad it was.

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity
I've decided to try and qualify as a referee. Can't be hard. I have terrible eyesight, woefully unfit with manboobs and like to make **** up as I go along. I m also highly corruptible, will take bribes and detest Arsenal.

I should get in.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
I've decided to try and qualify as a referee. Can't be hard. I have terrible eyesight, woefully unfit with manboobs and like to make **** up as I go along. I m also highly corruptible, will take bribes and detest Arsenal.

I should get in.
Punch mike dean while you are at it.

Brown Gooner

DoN'T ceNsOR maH FreE SpEecH

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
shocking comments

When it was suggested Clattenburg had scripted the game he said: “I helped the game. I certainly benefited the game by my style of refereeing.

“Some referees would have played by the book; Tottenham would have been down to seven or eight players and probably lost and they would've been looking for an excuse.

“But I didn't give them an excuse, because my gameplan was: Let them lose the title.

“We’re all part of the theatre.”

and this was supposed to be the best ref in the game smh.. No one would have blamed Clattenburg for making the right calls ffs.

Reactions: A_G
Top Bottom