• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Thiago Alcântara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Can't see this happening.

Absolutely class player, but there are some question marks in terms of where he fits in the rebuild for me. I understand what @Red London is saying. At the same time, I think him and Partey would instantly take us back to CL knock-out round level, which has a knock on effect through more income and attractiveness to top talent.

I'd still rather get Ødegaard or Aouar if we go in for a creative CM, though.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Exact kind of player we shouldn't be going for, 30 years old and never played in the prem, he'd take a year to adapt and he'd be 31 then. No thanks.

Couldnt have said it better myself.

2/3 years ago perhaps, but now he is too old. Potential Özil situation all over again.

Go hard for a proper class player in midfield, who we can build with.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Of course it would be an exciting signing. But the guy is 29, it would be silly to sign him.

We arent on the edge of anything spectacular right now, we need to rebuild.

Scholes was balling in his mid-30's in the PL, Santi's still got it at 35, Modric won the Balon d'Or at like 33 or something. If you have class and intelligence then you can boss midfields even when your legs aren't what they were. Thiago falls into that category.

If you could actually sign him then it's really a no brainer. Although it would certainly be up there as one of the weirdest transfers.

Zazu

He's never been particularly fast or strong, his game is all about intelligence and technique. I could still see him balling in a top league at the age of 32/33.

Unless he's demanding a 5 year deal on 250k a week or something we should be all over this if it is at all feasible.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
His age isn't the issue, it's his motivation. If he wants a new challenge to prove himself in another league then it's fine, but if he just wants one last big pay day and to experience London like it says in the OP then you'd want to avoid him. United fell into the trap of signing players in the latter category for years before they changed their transfer policy.

ClubLevel

I don't know what Liverpools wage structure is like but would they pay £200k a week or whatever he might ask for?

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Wonder about injuries with him. He’s not as bad as when he first arrived but he still tends to miss quite a few games a year through injury.

FinnGooner

Established Member
Does Orny saying we have had interest in the past count as a reliable link to the player? Very difficult to believe Arteta being keen on signing a player who would be going out of the team in 2 years, eating a ton of our wage bill while at it. Good player, though, won't deny that but in our situation I don't think it'd be the right move to make

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
He would cost 25-30million, command a big chunk of wages and isn't the best age in the world.

Much rather Aouar for 40million

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
His age isn't the issue, it's his motivation. If he wants a new challenge to prove himself in another league then it's fine, but if he just wants one last big pay day and to experience London like it says in the OP then you'd want to avoid him. United fell into the trap of signing players in the latter category for years before they changed their transfer policy.
Yeah people don't seem to get it. Its not only about his physical age, its about the mentality that comes with it for a lot of footballers. We have such a lack of 23-26 year olds who are hungry to prove themselves and be seen as top players. Thiago has been there and done that. Arsenal in some ways would be a nice chill time in London with your foot off the gas. Even if he played well, he would be less likely to put it all on the line for us when it really matters.

Last edited:

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Can't see this happening
I'd still rather get Ødegaard or Aouar if we go in for a creative CM, though.
The thing is, Thiago would be on over double their wage anyway. If he's lets say on 200,000 while they'd be on 90k, that would be 5.7m a year. Over a 4 year contract that is 22.8m. So even though Thiago's initial transfer fee may be 20-30m lower, you're gonna basically be paying the same price over the length of the contract.

While Thiago would add a lot he would be yet another empty hole that we have dumped money into. After that 4 years, someone like Aouar or Ødegaard would hopefully already be on a new deal at their peak, or sold for a hefty amount of money. We need to stop wasting our transfer funds and wages on 28-30 year olds. Its not financially responsible in the long term, and won't get us success unless its the final piece of a jigsaw.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I say get him if possible. Even a 70% Thiago walks into our side and this is about getting back into the CL at the end of the day. If he likes it here there's no reason why he couldn't be the bedrock of our MF for the next 5 years with his skillset. We have to do things our way--not the way other clubs with much more money do it. This would be an extraordinary coup by the club, which is why it wont happen.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
He's brilliant. Almost Cesc level. He's good enough to play for anybody. For that reason, he wouldn't choose us. London isn't that attractive!

GDeep™

League is very weak
I don’t know why top players would join Arsenal. We’re finishing 8-10th this season, signing no top players etc, not in Europe.

Partey is desperate for a move to England, he makes sense, he would probably join Everton too tbh. Then you got guys like Willian who might join simply for 3 years of 120k a week which Chelsea are not giving him.

A guy like Thiago? Join Arsenal? Bizarre.

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
If only Özil was even half the player he was at Madrid. We could've hit two birds with one stone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom