• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Thierry Henry: The King Stay The King

MrBump

Henry saying we need a GK, DM, and ST is only reiterating what the majority of fans have been saying for a long time. I don't see why people are getting that upset over it ?

We have these winning streaks each year at different times which cloud peoples judgements. When we can do this for a whole season is when I'll be satisfied with our squad. We are close but not there yet.

Just imagine how good all those 3 signings to make or keep ospina, coq and Giroud fighting and performing.
CB looks pretty competitive now with the addition of Gabriel

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Francis Coquelin has immediately defended Giroud, "Thierry Henry is wrong. Giroud shows his potential every week,” he told RMC. “He showed that he has the level to be the Arsenal striker, and we can win titles with him." Definitely like this response from Coq, sticking up for the lads. Shows a quality of a captain right there. Btw, I think Thierry was out of line with his comments that we can't win with Giroud.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
If people take off their tinted glasses and get over their nostalgia, they'd see that Thierry is an awful pundit. He backtracks and makes some outrageous claims. For one, against Burnley on SNF he was backing Giroud to the hilt,

Thierry on Giroud: "12 goals in his last 14 games, if it was someone else they'd say Giroud is the best! But for Giroud they don't say that, I don't get it."

Fast forward a couple of weeks... "Giroud is a good player who does his job extremely well... But Arsenal need to get in another top class forward." Do we?! I thought Giroud should be considered the best striker in the league?! Now we can't win the league with Giroud? Funny that.

Thierry on Özil: Last season when asked about the impact of Özil, Henry said; "he's an outstanding player, who makes everyone around him better. I had it when playing with Pires or Bergkamp, they make you play better, you want to play better. He's a world class player."

Fast forward to this season, he'd buy Cesc and put Özil on the bench. Would you now? I thought Özil was world class who makes everyone around him better? I'm guessing Cesc is world class-er and makes everyone around him better-er.

When it's going well for us he's lovely, we can win the league, we play the best football etc. When we have a bad result, we all of a sudden need a new spine? What happened to police detective Coquelin?

Also, if we buy a DM, GK and LW in the summer, we'd win the league with Giroud leading the line, of that I'm certain.

Ridiculous stuff. The guy is on a wind up, surely it's Sky who have pushed him as he's been dull as **** until this week. Now he's Piers Morgan on drugs.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Sorry maybe I missed some commentary this weekend but what the heck did Henry say that makes you say he can't expected to be welcomed back at Colney?

Can you give me a link to exact statements because your comment seems quite over the top ?

I don't have a problem with what he said he's a pundit but the players will . Things like you can't win the league with Giroud as you top striker , comment about he would rather have Fabregas than Özil . It's allright to make those comments if you aren't in the sanctum of the team and train with them . He's breached the trust and I don't think they will feel comfortable with him training with them etc.

There is precedence Alan Smith was told the team would "prefer" if he didn't come down to the locker room after a match he attended after comments he made in the media . That was 10-15 years ago .

A strong team and spirit is based on trust , you can be direct and critical to each other inside the locker room but it doesn't go outside . What he's done , pretty sure some of them feel the trust has been breached .

Also sure , you will hear about it in the coming months .

onetowatch

Bayern won everything with Mandzukic as their main striker, we can win a **** league with Giroud as our striker. But other areas of our team will need to see noticeable improvement for that to happen. Goals from the midfield have been sparse, our first choice rw has one goal and one assist in the league. Definite room for large improvement there going into next season.
Wenger said we need a midfield 15 goal a season man. Ramsey can do it but I'd like to see one more in and use Rambo B2B

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Francis Coquelin has immediately defended Giroud, "Thierry Henry is wrong. Giroud shows his potential every week,” he told RMC. “He showed that he has the level to be the Arsenal striker, and we can win titles with him." Definitely like this response from Coq, sticking up for the lads. Shows a quality of a captain right there. Btw, I think Thierry was out of line with his comments that we can't win with Giroud.

youtherealmvp.jpg

Lot of drama here...

Henry is both right and wrong. We can win the premier league with Giroud, and we can not. We will win it next year.

onetowatch

His worst comment was that Mourinho got inside Wenger's head after he came to the PL in 2004. It slipped out accidentally (as most things do with Thierry) at the start of Super Sunday pre Everton-Utd, but Ed pounced on it and Sky used it in their post match montage.

Agree with @celestis - the team won't feel the same way about him after he's been slagging half of them off. I know it's his job, but still. You can be a pundit without singling out individuals.

StrangerThanParadise

Seems like Sky has battered this cliched agenda into him. Just two weeks ago he was the Arsenal partisan after the Burnley game, he looked genuinely shocked when Alan Smith said Ospina wasn't the long term answer at GK. Not been a good week for Titi on Sky.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

To further on what I noted earlier, Francis is 23, he probably grew up idolizing Thierry amongst others. For him to quickly speak out at someone he probably looks up to still, shows a massive reflection of his character. It appears to me he hasn't only helped us on the pitch but off it as well. You need players with this mentality to succeed, imo. Good on you, coq.

KAB

It's good for him to defend out his team members on the current team from criticisms and to stay focus on what they are doing. I'm still thinking that we are on stronger side on the draw with Chelsea as Mourinho praised their defenders, which they have successfully defended against stronger team.

James Bond

Moderation Consultant
Haha at how quickly things turn. People are turning on TH for stating his opinion.

I know things are going good right now for the most part but we aren't winning the league and Giroud is our striker. These games vs the top team is when you need that extra little bit from you CF to win matches. (ie Herny's goal vs Madrid) Is he really saying anything different than what many other have a million times in the past 3 years? No.

Some of the stuff posted in the last 24 hours have been hilarious. The most ridiculous being that Henry is jealous of Giroud. *laughing emiticon* Unbeaten PL winner, CL winner, WC winner, all time leading goalscorer for AFC and a handsome man in his own right...there isn't a single thing Herny is jealous of about Giroud lol.

KAB

I'm totally agree with TH14 recommendation to get top players on four new signings but only if we have financial power as Chelsea or Man City. We lose number of players as as unable to match their salary request.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I don't see the big fuss. Most people on here agreed that Giroud is not an elite striker in the Aguero / Suarez / Costa / Benzema legion, but that doesn't make him a top player or one who has improved immeasurably. We have been complaining year after year about qualifying for the Champions League and exiting at the first knockout stages. If you want to progress to that next level you have to let go of emotions. Chelsea didn't need to buy Drogba because Haselbaink and Gudjohnsen were hardly average but look what happened when they did.

Jae

So people can slag the manager off and all of our players off on here, but as soon as Henry says it in public he gets vilified?

And if you look at the quotes, he said that we need ANOTHER top class striker. He's not saying Giroud isn't good enough, he's saying we need someone else as well.

Everything else he was right about, maybe he's gone about it the wrong way but people have been saying this about us for years. I'd rather him be honest and keep some of his integrity, Keown has said it, Ian Wright has said it, Alan Smith has said it, Lee Dixon, Paul Merson, Charlie Nicholas. Are they all wrong or do all pundits and television broadcasters have an agenda against us (making us no better than Chelsea - victims)

You dont see Liverpool and United fans slagging Neville and Carra off despite the fact that they do this kind of thing week-in week-out? Is our team perfect then? Last I checked we havent won the league since 2004.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Had a feeling this stint at Sky would only go bad for Henry and his image.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom