• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Thierry Henry: The King Stay The King

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Rex Banner said:
What is everyone's favourite goal of his btw? Mine's probably the header against Utd when we beat them at the Emirates, it was a last minute winner I think as well.

Wasn't his best by a mile but I went absolutely mental when that went in, don't think I've ever lost it for a goal as much as I did then.

YES, that one is also one of my favourite goal

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
Great short article about Henry's influence in the great Barca team of 2008/09

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/how-washed-henry-achieved-his-brilliant-barca-revival" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/how ... ca-revival</a>

My favourite Henry goal is the one against Sp**s where he runs the entire length of the pitch. Always gives me goosebumps.

Thierry Henry retires: Arsenal's inventive Invincible leaves a legacy of glorious goals and golden memories

No striker in the modern age scored goals quite like Thierry Henry - goalkeepers around the world can breathe easy now he has retired, says Henry Winter

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/11296090/Thierry-Henry-retires-Arsenals-inventive-Invincible-leaves-a-legacy-of-glorious-goals-and-golden-memories.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... ories.html</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Rex Banner said:
What is everyone's favourite goal of his btw? Mine's probably the header against Utd when we beat them at the Emirates, it was a last minute winner I think as well.

Wasn't his best by a mile but I went absolutely mental when that went in, don't think I've ever lost it for a goal as much as I did then.

The goal you mentioned is one of my faves, no doubt, but for me it's got to be that goal at The Bernabéu. I couldn't have been any older than 12 at the time, I remember my folks being asleep after coming in from work and me waking them up, literally screaming the house down. I remember that evening so vividly, my old man literally thought there was some sort of emergency.

I just watched in awe, received the ball from that young Spanish dude, and the magic happened. Brushing aside El-Phenomeno, skipping past another three, slotting the ball away.

428233189.gif

:cry:, Best ever. Surreal player.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
Real goal is probably my favorite too.
He did score more beautiful ones, but that one stuck in my head the most.

I am glad he is going back to England, sure he is going to visit us often. he will come back one day, i even think its going to be as a coach, but as someone said, I dont want it to happen just cause he is our legend, but cause he, or whoever, has skills to do it

Mastadon

Established Member
Many young footballers grew up idolizing Henry and that IMO is one of the main reasons why Arsenal is so attractive to young players. I know I started supporting Arsenal when we signed Bergkamp and I can imagine many others would have done the same because of Henry. Whatever happens he is destined to end up back at the club in some role I just hope its sooner rather than later. Would be amazing to have him and Wenger working together again.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Favorite Henry goal is difficult, I have so many.

Two rare goals stick out for me off the top of my head:

The volley vs Bradford and a strike vs Crystal Palace from the corner of the 18 yard box. I love those strikes for the sheer power, accuracy, technique and nonchalance with which he scored them. Not ones you'd pick out, but I liked em.

Of his more famous goals, my fave would have to be the outside-boot-shot that equalled Wrighty's record vs Sparta.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
Taylor Gang Gunners said:
Rex Banner said:

The goal you mentioned is one of my faves, no doubt, but for me it's got to be that goal at The Bernabéu. I couldn't have been any older than 12 at the time, I remember my folks being asleep after coming in from work and me waking them up, literally screaming the house down. I remember that evening so vividly, my old man literally thought there was some sort of emergency.

I just watched in awe, received the ball from that young Spanish dude, and the magic happened. Brushing aside El-Phenomeno, skipping past another three, slotting the ball away.

428233189.gif

:cry:, Best ever. Surreal player.

this was some goal. I remember this so clearly.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
The goal at the Bernabéu capped a brilliant performance by us as well. Didn't see that coming after I saw the starting line up back then, we're down to bare bones in certain areas.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
There's one other goal that I love, but I am not sure many remembers

Henry's backheel against Charlton

<a class="postlink" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKOHq4za9bM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKOHq4za9bM</a>

He made looks so easy.... and as someone who once scored a bicycle kick, I state this is very hard to pull off

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
Remember that goal, was during Reyes' short decent spell at this club at the start of the 2004/05 season.

While speaking of Henry goals - his goal vs Spu*s in a 1-1 draw in 2006 at Highbury was well taken, as was a goal he scored away against Portsmouth in 2004, FA Cup.

vantoure

Love that goal really. Also the one against sparta Prague where he killed the long ball with the back of his heels and used the outside of his foot to curl it home.

However, I have some contrary thoughts to what a lot have said:

1. I still find it hard to look past his misses against barca in the 06 CL final

2. People have said he's the best ST they've seen. How does he compare to El Phenomeno, Ronaldo 9. I've always felt like Ronaldo could do more.

3. I don't think he'll make a good manager, there's just something about him that I can't place. I think someone alludes to it, maybe it's a pride or lack of patience or a bit of selfishness. Not sure

Great player though

Mastadon

Established Member
That's just a routine backheel I'm sure most people here could do that given that much time and space. Certainly not on the same planet as the Zlatan/Welbeck ones.

This was the goal that confirmed we had a world class striker imo.

<a class="postlink" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyAYSm4Ud8o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyAYSm4Ud8o</a>

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
vantoure said:
2. People have said he's the best ST they've seen. How does he compare to El Phenomeno, Ronaldo 9. I've always felt like Ronaldo could do more.

Personal opinion, Ronaldo 9 falls too easily and he is a very selfish player.

but this discussion will not end cause everybody entitle to their own favourite player

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Mastadon said:
That's just a routine backheel I'm sure most people here could do that given that much time and space. Certainly not on the same planet as the Zlatan/Welbeck ones.
Any other professional player scored the same goal like that? not first time backheel volley but trap the ball and backheeled under defenders' leg.

Mastadon

Established Member
Exactly why its easy its just a routine backheel. Sure you need the awareness but like I said anyone who can do a backheel could have done that. It was the perfect set up as well the defender had no interest in the ball just wrestling with Henry so he had time to wait for it to drop and settle before doing a simple backheel.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
technically wise, its a simple backheel. Zlatan/Cristiano acrobatic backheel have higher technique point BUT
To be able to score from that in a professional game, is a different matter.

Like I said, Henry made it looks easy, but the number of calculation his brain made and the number of feints his body makes in the fraction of second before the backheel took place made it special.
The defender and the keeper expected him to turn and shoot and boom, surprise!

If you don't think this goal is any good, well, its not a problem

Proof

Established Member
The volley he scored against Man. United was also ****ing amazing! I didn't see that coming. United's defence was well positioned and there looked to be little threat on their goal as Henry flicks it up and connects with it.

7ea0c200-48d7-11e3-a02e-7054d21a8f10.gif.pagespeed.ce.FUNyNQDuA9.gif

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
Proof said:
The volley he scored against Man. United was also ******* amazing! I didn't see that coming. United's defence was well positioned and there looked to be little threat on their goal as Henry flicks it up and connects with it.

7ea0c200-48d7-11e3-a02e-7054d21a8f10.gif.pagespeed.ce.FUNyNQDuA9.gif

All while having his shirt pulled, most modern players would look to go down and win a freekick instead.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Mine was the one vs Liverpool during our unbeaten season, we went 1-0 down then he scored to make it 1-1, then went 2-1 down and Pires equalised after half time. Then he took the ball from around 45 yards from goal and just tore 3 or 4 Liverpool players to pieces with such calmness and ease poor cooly slotting it past Dudek. Although his celebration wasn't very cool, calm and collected because he went mental :) That was a huge game for us too.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
So many great goals, the one at the Bernabeau or just any goal against Chelsea or Utd stands out for me. When you look at video's of him in his prime you see that he takes the piss out of the current 'top class' strikers (not counting Ron or Messi). He made mince meat of some of the greatest defenders of his era.

Top Bottom