• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Thierry Henry: The King Stay The King

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
They don't respect the trade.

Not one of them has served an apprenticeship.

Wenger spent a total of 6 years working as a youth coach and then as an assistant manager.

Favre spent a total of 4 years working with youth players. In fact, Favre opted to take a step back and work as an academy manager, despite having already worked as a manager, something which speaks to his maturity in wanting to develop a more holistic understanding of how football clubs operate.

Across 10 years, Mourinho worked as a school coach, youth coach, assistant manager, scout, and as an interpreter.

By comparison, both Neville and Henry walked into top jobs after working as part time assistant managers for a national team.

Absolute joke.
Guardiola had only 1 year at Barcelona B before starting to coach Messi and co.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Even with the injuries & novice manager pathetic from the senior players last night.

Something rotten there before Thierry joined.
This is like saying that the kid who lives in a ghetto with single mother who is also a drug addict will have the same chances in life like the kid whose parents are doctors.
Guardiola was given one of the strongest squads that ever played football, Henry was thrown into the chaos that even Jardim couldn't handle.

Gunner140

We can all agree that Henry made a mistake by going to Monaco. Seasoned coaches would have problems managing Monaco, who are in complete mess.

Even Villa job would probably be too much for Henry, at least at the start. What he should have done, was to go to a lower league club, that doesn't have much expectations.

Henry could get the experience there and than go to some other bigger club.

In any case, Henry should have avoided a job like with Monaco, but he didn't, and this might have a big effect on his future managerial career.

We can all agree that Henry made a mistake by going to Monaco. Seasoned coaches would have problems managing Monaco, who are in complete mess.

Even Villa job would probably be too much for Henry, at least at the start. What he should have done, was to go to a lower league club, that doesn't have much expectations.

Henry could get the experience there and than go to some other bigger club.

In any case, Henry should have avoided a job like with Monaco, but he didn't, and this might have a big effect on his future managerial career.
I think he looked at Zidane's and Pep's success when they first got into management and he thought he could as well do it! Turned out to be a very bad mistake! There's still a chance for revival albeit he needs a lot of luck on it and patience from the fans and club. Surely, four games wouldn't be enough to judge a coach right? Btw, which former striker has turned out a good coach, just FMI?

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
I think he looked at Zidane's and Pep's success when they first got into management and he thought he could as well do it!

Then why didn't he go and coach Barca B first like Guardiola? Or try taking over one of the Arsenal youth teams seriously instead of as a punditry side job? The Aston Villa job for a season? Try and get a gig as an understudy kind of DoF for Sven at Arsenal, like Zidane did at Real? Speaking of the latter: The guy just won the CL three ****ing times in a row and went for a backoffice DoF job at Juve - probably with a scheme to take them over in mind, but still. Henry seems like he would've rebuffed such an offer.

No. He thought giving his opinion as a pundit, doing his school badges in Wales and a 30 days per year job as f*cking Roberto Martinez' Belgium assistant was enough for him. Turns out he was wrong.

Great, loveable player, inflated ego in the after life.

Marmaduke

Interesting to note that AW said that there was no positive uplift effect on the players when Thierry took over. :lol:
I think it was fair criticism for lots of opposition fans to call out Henry as arrogant and smug while he was doing punditry. He often came across as if he though he would do a better job than Wenger and Mou put together.

The job at Monaco is a real test for even seasoned coaches let alone a guy with little to no experience but he probably was too sure of himself to think "this may be too much for a first job".

Gunner140

I think it was fair criticism for lots of opposition fans to call out Henry as arrogant and smug while he was doing punditry. He often came across as if he though he would do a better job than Wenger and Mou put together.

The job at Monaco is a real test for even seasoned coaches let alone a guy with little to no experience but he probably was too sure of himself to think "this may be too much for a first job".

Too much confidence is never good.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners

nearly all the pundits come across like this, to be fair

but then I think their employers always push them to be controversial

progman07

Established Member
I really don't get all this Thierry Henry hatred. Sometimes I wonder if I've walked into a Manu or Tottenham website.
Personally I think his time as a pundit damaged his reputation a bit, whenever I listened to him I thought he tried to say what he was expected to, rather than giving an honest (and slightly Arsenal biased, of course) opinion. His criticism of Wenger and Arsenal felt wierd from him, it was often no more than the generic stuff every pundit has been going on regardless of what happened in our games.

Also, he did not attend Wenger's tribute last season.

MustOezil

Henry has the knowledge, the understanding of the game and played under the best coaches in the world. Give him some time, maybe things will finally click when he gets enough managerial experience and finds his stride.

You may call him arrogant and cocky for his punditry, rejection of Arsenal's youth coach position, but the clock ticks differently for everyone. With enough time, I am sure Henry will succeed.

You don't become the best player of all time for Arsenal without the ability to self reflect and improve/adapt.

m-due

AS Monaco are currently 0-4 down vs PSG (Cavani hat trick). Henry has a tough job ahead of him with this group of players and the injury crisis

Interesting quote by AS Monaco VP Vadim Vasilyev on Titi: "We didn't bring him in as a fireman... he is here for the long-term, not the short-term."

Last edited:

Then why didn't he go and coach Barca B first like Guardiola? Or try taking over one of the Arsenal youth teams seriously instead of as a punditry side job? The Aston Villa job for a season? Try and get a gig as an understudy kind of DoF for Sven at Arsenal, like Zidane did at Real? Speaking of the latter: The guy just won the CL three ****ing times in a row and went for a backoffice DoF job at Juve - probably with a scheme to take them over in mind, but still. Henry seems like he would've rebuffed such an offer.

No. He thought giving his opinion as a pundit, doing his school badges in Wales and a 30 days per year job as f*cking Roberto Martinez' Belgium assistant was enough for him. Turns out he was wrong.

Great, loveable player, inflated ego in the after life.
Yeah he's made some pretty poor choices lately! Needs to realize his balls are not as big as he thinks they are, cos from the looks of things he isn't lasting at Monaco!

sammy89

His biggest mistake was taking the job in the first place. Monaco was a poisoned chalice, no one was gonna do well with the current situation. At best you can end up in the third quartile of the table, which is not covering yourself in glory. He probably should have leaned on his legend status to work his way into an easy job when the opening presented itself.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Henry has the knowledge, the understanding of the game and played under the best coaches in the world. Give him some time, maybe things will finally click when he gets enough managerial experience and finds his stride.

You may call him arrogant and cocky for his punditry, rejection of Arsenal's youth coach position, but the clock ticks differently for everyone. With enough time, I am sure Henry will succeed.

You don't become the best player of all time for Arsenal without the ability to self reflect and improve/adapt.

Henry is one of the best players ever in football history. He is also a complete blank and nobody as a manager. "The clock ticks differently for everyone"? No it does not, give Henry time and maybe he'll get Monaco relegated. You need more than the ability to self reflect to be a good manager, first thing you need is the ability to judge the situation you are in. If Henry didn't realize he took up a difficult job, a club that is imbalanced and suffering from years of decay, then he simply never had the talent to be a good manager. His ego blinded him and prevented him from figuring his limitations, how can he be trusted to figure out the limitations of his team?

Gunner140

I think most people would argue Pep was a different beast. I think he was a student of the game for his whole career

Pep also took over one of the best teams in the world (like ever), and he knew exactly what tactic to play, given that he played (almost) his whole career for Barca.

Latest posts

Top Bottom