• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Thomas Hitzlsperger

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
ARSENAL boss Arsène Wenger is in talks with Stuttgart midfielder Thomas Hitzlsperger.

The Gunners manager wants to add experience to his side and the former Aston Villa star fits the bill.

Hitzlsperger, 27, is out of contract next year but Stuttgart will do a deal at around £5million.

Yesterday in SunSport Cesc Fabregas called for Wenger to buy a ball-winner in midfield. Hitz fits the bill.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2483289/Hitz-may-fit-the-bill-for-Wenger.html

Yes it's the Sun and yes it is not (perhaps) the strongest or (definitely) most detailed of links, but transfer rumours have been scarce thus far and he's an experienced midfielder.

Who knows, it might lead somewhere.

Fire away.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
I didn't realise he had so little time left on his deal with Stuttgart. He's their captain nowadays, isn't he?

I used to have a soft spot for him when he played for Villa. He's been quality at Stuttgart too whenever I've seen him play. He's got some terrible power to his shot as well (Youtube "Thomas Hitzlsperger - The Hammer"). For £5 million he'd be a great backup in midfield. I could definitely see this happening.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
Back-up only Klaus? So not the first choice midfield "enforcer" we are all looking for then.

Raider

Established Member
Erghhhh no. Wow, its not just our squad, but the rumours which are going down hill as well.

Sad times. Thomas Fucarghhhhhhh. Aston Villas reject of a central midfielder. I would usually say no thank, but no way mate.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
Ton: I've no idea really. I just figured that he'd be used as an attacking player rather than a central one (and in that case I don't see him making the starting XI) but perhaps Wenger is thinking about using him as a box-to-box player behind Cesc? Supposing we're really interested in him to begin with, of course. Who knows? It would make better sense come think of it. All I know is that he's quality and I'd love to have him here for the alleged price. He's in the right age span too.

Raider: I suppose you've seen him play a lot since he left Villa four years ago then? Funny how he was considered being good enough to start a European cup final for Germany but not even good enough to be a substitute for us in your opinion.

Raider

Established Member
I havn't seen him one bit.

I'm just being an asshole. Regardless of how he might have improved, my answer would still be the same. No thanks.

dbig

Remember him being good, but not great at Villa. Haven't seen him in action for Stuttgart. Surprised to see he has 45 appearances for the German national team since 2004, though.

Links are tenuous but maybe someone who has seen him in action recently can comment?

Edit: Klaus did, but how can you take someone with Crynaldo's pic as an avatar seriously? ;)

kamikaze80

Established Member
he made a name for himself here with his absurd howitzer.. surprised he hasnt killed anyone yet with that shot of his. dont really remember him all too well besides that.

Stevo the Villan

Established Member
I'm surprised.

And jealous.

Make no mistake, he isn't a Villa reject. We wanted to keep him but he was determined to go back to germany.
He was very good for us and has come on leaps and bounds since leaving us. Plus he has one of the best shots around.

Much like the Cahill link, I don't see him being good enough to start for you guys regularly, but as back up he'd do a very good job.

I honestly wish it was us signing him!

Paddy from Sweden

Here I was yesterday watching Spain vs Germany in the U21 tournament thinking we need a german player and then this pops up. :)

The german CB Jerome Boateng from Hamburg looked quite promising.

Thommybhoy

Established Member
He is Stuttgart captain, he has a cannon in his foot, he is 182cm, that's about 6ft-6ft1in, transfermarkt says he is LDM.
I must say this thing seems somehow possible.

Gurgen

Established Member
He has improved a lot since leaving Villa but I don't know if he's good enough to start for us every week. For 5m I wouldn't be against it though.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Where would he play? Numbers wise we are good in central midfield - just need one body to up the quality. Never thought Hitzlsperger would be that guy though.

All I remember of him was scoring a cracker at Highbury - but we walloped them that day anyway.

patrick42uk

Established Member
"Hitzlsperger has an interest in economics, and whilst in England studied investment strategies, although he did not complete the course. He regularly visited the Bank of England to discuss finance with the bank's governor, Mervyn King, a lifelong Aston Villa fan",. Snap him up, lol!

He's stuttgarts' captain, at a good age (27), isnt really high profile and wont really get in Denilson's/Ramsey's way long term, and he's cheap. There a quite a few reasons why this could happen.

True Gooner

Established Member
Haven't seen him since he left Villa but I always thought he was a pretty good player. If he's improved I think he's definitley worth taking a gamble if (and only if) we can't find anyone better.

Webdesignlab

Established Member
Man, he is so ... white. I cannot see him being able to do the African dance (if he ever scored) ... or any for the matter.

Top Bottom