• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Thomas Partey

Do you think Partey will sign for Arsenal?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

With black midfielders, for me there’s always that casually racist stereotyping where they get seen as big bruisers who can tackle and run a lot.

Thomas though is so technically sound, he’s probably the best midfielder for Atletico. Every year he keeps on improving exponentially. The player who broke through a few years ago is unrecognisable.

He’s so composed on the ball, he can dictate play from deep but carry the ball and play that final pass or be a goal threat himself.

For me he could hit that Ramsey 2013/14 level at a consistent level. If we could put a good playmaker and team orientated striker with him he’d be unreal.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
With black midfielders, for me there’s always that casually racist stereotyping where they get seen as big bruisers who can tackle and run a lot.

Thomas though is so technically sound, he’s probably the best midfielder for Atletico. Every year he keeps on improving exponentially. The player who broke through a few years ago is unrecognisable.

He’s so composed on the ball, he can dictate play from deep but carry the ball and play that final pass or be a goal threat himself.

For me he could hit that Ramsey 2013/14 level at a consistent level. If we could put a good playmaker and team orientated striker with him he’d be unreal.

Black players in general. Even with King Thierry, the first attribute referenced by non-gooners was often his pace despite his incredible technical ability. With Vieira always his physicality despite again being technical. Kouilibailly Power (he is a beast granted) but positionally he's very sound.

Funnily enough though, I always had Partey as a bruiser. Guess I haven't watched him enough.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Yeah, it is interesting how few Black players are ever described as elegant, but it is very common to hear white players, especially those who are slow, described as elegant.

In the Everton match on Sunday, I heard Andre Gomes described as elegant a couple of times when he came on. And that's not taking anything away from Gomes, but he also isn't athletic either.

However, if you look at Auba, I think it would be fair to say that he is a very elegant footballer. Balletic would also be a good word to describe his game, but whenever we hear about Auba the emphasis is always on his pace.

Granted he is incredibly fast, but when the conversation pertains to Black players I think the conversation definitely skews to talking about physical attributes instead of other skills.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Its deep routed. Watched his interview on the BBC site from last year highlighted the strength in Yaya & described himself as a stopper like hero Essien.

Think in general getting better though just like the QBs breaking stereotypes in NFL over the last decade. The Obi Mikel to DM was the one that killed me watching his younger playing clips... in 2020 cant see that happening.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
It definitely is casual racism, to just ignore the technical abilities of some black players and just focus on their physical ones.

You look at the likes of Patrick Vieira, Edgar Davids, Michael Essien, how many times have you heard them described as DMs...all were incredibly skilful players, who had their best form playing NEXT to a defensive midfielder...I think I have heard pundits praise the passing ability of Clarence Seedorf, but I am genuinely unsure of this.

Thierry is one of the most graceful player I have watched, not just some kick and run merchant...while I guarantee you most English pundits will say Kane is more skilful than Drogba, but say Drogba had the edge with his "power".

Shame.

GDeep™

League is very weak
What about Giroud? He was just a big lump despite playing for Arsenal and France, it was the black players around him at French level who were lauded as the great footballers.

Robertson at Liverpool is mainly praised for getting up and down despite him offering more. TAA gets his fair dues for attacking contributions. What about Mane? Rarely you see him described as a “pacy winger” or something, he’s considered an all round fabulous footballer.

What about say Brazilian footballers? Most are generally rated as great pure footballers. I have never seen guys like Silva, Marcelo, Alves, Neymar, Fernandinho, Fabinho, Marquinhos, all black or mixed, being praised for anything other than their football skills and reading of the game.

Issues exist, not as deep rooted as some of you make out though.

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Partey seems like what the team need in the midfield - mobile, good positioning, ball winning, spreading passes at ranges. 111 games for Atletico in 3.5 seasons, so he has been constantly available for selection. Go get this player, Mikel.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Easily worth the €50m in today's market, don't mess about and go get him. I'd replace Xhaka and Guendouzi with him without looking back.

I'm also a little afraid he'll sign a new contract though. A few days ago I read that new contract talks were opened up, so timing is definitely odd. At the same time, we've been linked for a while now.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Ornstein saying he have no updates about this one yet but he confirmed emery desperately wanted him last summer.

say yes

forum master baiter
Ornstein saying he have no updates about this one yet but he confirmed emery desperately wanted him last summer.
Ornstein said a few months back that Partey was “desperate” to join us. No idea why he would be, but if that’s true then this could have legs.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Ornstein said a few months back that Partey was “desperate” to join us. No idea why he would be, but if that’s true then this could have legs.
I think because he wasn't regular for A.Madrid also we can give him better wages London playing in PL. Now I'm reading he happy in A.Madrid things could change specially if A.Madrid won't give him the contract he deserves

Malky

Established Member
He'd be an incredible signing, would transform our midfield. Partey is worth every penny and more of his release clause!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom