• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Thomas Partey: Body Falling Apartey

D

Deleted member 102404

Well I think people are going to rush here talking about how if you doubted Partey you're a fool etc etc. A typical AM thing to do after a good performance.

But let's not pretend like his time at Arsenal has been flawless.

That said, he was very good today though and the big thing is keeping fit really, I think if he can do that he can build the form to put out consistently good games.

Yes he was brilliant yesterday.
MOTM I think.
But, he’s not been consistent enough as an Arsenal player to date.
If he can play week in week out at the level he was yesterday then we will be seeing what we thought we were getting when we signed him.

samspade

"You said I said" detection expert at your service
Yes he was brilliant yesterday.
MOTM I think.
But, he’s not been consistent enough as an Arsenal player to date.
If he can play week in week out at the level he was yesterday then we will be seeing what we thought we were getting when we signed him.
Let’s be real, he’s going to continue to get injured. If Arsenal could count on ESR and Partey (or if we signed another top 6) the we probably are challenging

BergMan

Betrayed by Xhaka
Partey’s replacement doesn’t need to have Partey’s turning ability on the ball, this is not a necessity. What is most important for this 6 role is off the ball work and positioning. Must be able to read the game well and be in the right place, must be mobile to cover large ground, must be strong physically in duels (ground and aerial), and must be good on the ball passing out of pressure. I believe this covers most of it. There are many players out there who fit the description. Like I said, ability to turn on the ball is not necessary, passing your way out of danger is often more effective.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Like I said, ability to turn on the ball is not necessary, passing your way out of danger is often more effective.
Turning away out of short spaces is usually what's done when there isn't a pass on. I'll have a player who can do both please! That's why I'm a fan of this guy.

Legend14

Established Member
Partey’s replacement doesn’t need to have Partey’s turning ability on the ball, this is not a necessity. What is most important for this 6 role is off the ball work and positioning. Must be able to read the game well and be in the right place, must be mobile to cover large ground, must be strong physically in duels (ground and aerial), and must be good on the ball passing out of pressure. I believe this covers most of it. There are many players out there who fit the description. Like I said, ability to turn on the ball is not necessary, passing your way out of danger is often more effective.
Agree with the qualities listed.

Being able to turn into space is also important otherwise you’ll just put your defenders under pressure by returning the ball to them when everyone is being pressed.

It should be used when appropriate since the position is 6 and not 10. Otherwise you risk losing the ball in the defensive third. Not everyone can do this well. It requires awareness and technique and a bit of acceleration.

Ødegaard struggles with this as a 10 because he lacks the acceleration. Partey is excellent at this and so he can start an attack after bypassing pressure.

BergMan

Betrayed by Xhaka
Agree with the qualities listed.

Being able to turn into space is also important otherwise you’ll just put your defenders under pressure by returning the ball to them when everyone is being pressed.

It should be used when appropriate since the position is 6 and not 10. Otherwise you risk losing the ball in the defensive third. Not everyone can do this well. It requires awareness and technique and a bit of acceleration.

Ødegaard struggles with this as a 10 because he lacks the acceleration. Partey is excellent at this and so he can start an attack after bypassing pressure.

Look at many of the best DM’s in the world right now. Rodri, Kimmich, Busquets, Brozovic etc. Granted there are some who do such as Kante but most don’t have Partey’s turn on the ball ability. How many times does it actually come off in a game? On average it’s probably 2 or 3 times. Other times he tries it and it doesn’t work putting us under pressure. The best DM’s can pass their way out of pressure through the help of teammates (simple passes) or win fouls under pressure. Quick turning is not a necessity.

Legend14

Established Member
Look at many of the best DM’s in the world right now. Rodri, Kimmich, Busquets, Brozovic etc. Granted there are some who do such as Kante but most don’t have Partey’s turn on the ball ability. How many times does it actually come off in a game? On average it’s probably 2 or 3 times. Other times he tries it and it doesn’t work putting us under pressure. The best DM’s can pass their way out of pressure through the help of teammates (simple passes) or win fouls under pressure. Quick turning is not a necessity.
I can’t remember Partey losing the ball when turning.

Partey one touches balls out of pressure most of the time. But you can’t always pass your way out of pressure when facing your defense. It assumes that a player/lane is open for you to pass to. I believe most players are capable of turning. I think Partey is capable of turning under pressure and escaping.

I don’t usually pay attention to this since it is part of Partey’s game. He is a very positive player. Let’s see what he and opposing 6 do in the Liverpool game and if this gives him an advantage.

BergMan

Betrayed by Xhaka
I can’t remember Partey losing the ball when turning.

Partey one touches balls out of pressure most of the time. But you can’t always pass your way out of pressure when facing your defense. It assumes that a player/lane is open for you to pass to. I believe most players are capable of turning. I think Partey is capable of turning under pressure and escaping.

I don’t usually pay attention to this since it is part of Partey’s game. He is a very positive player. Let’s see what he and opposing 6 do in the Liverpool game and if this gives him an advantage.

Not saying Partey can’t pass his way out of pressure he definitely can.
You have to watch someone like Busquets and see how he always makes himself available and always finds a pass, without making 180 turns and 360 spins on the ball.

Legend14

Established Member
You have to watch someone like Busquets and see how he always makes himself available and always finds a pass, without making 180 turns and 360 spins on the ball.
See Xhaka’s yellow card today. He needed to turn under pressure. No pass was available. He could not, because it is not his strength. Result: Yellow because he lost the ball.

BergMan

Betrayed by Xhaka
See Xhaka’s yellow card today. He needed to turn under pressure. No pass was available. He could not, because it is not his strength. Result: Yellow because he lost the ball.
Eh? He got a yellow for stopping a counter with his hand. I know Xhaka doesn’t turn on the ball, but something he’s great at if he can’t pass is to win a foul.

Legend14

Established Member
Busquets makes more 360 degree turns than almost any 6. He has excellent footwork to allude pressure. He is not a good example for your argument. Partey plays much more conservatively than Busquets. Both are successful.

Top Bottom