• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Thomas Partey: Midfield Tank Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Immense player. Just so intelligent and quick with his decisions on the ball. Makes subtle feints and turns to give him space which aren't wasteful like ****ing Ceballos and he can actually carry the ball forward and ride a challenge. He had a fantastic individual moment on the first goal, creating that space and then sending a pinpoint delivery to Auba in seconds. As Wenger made famous, like a new signing.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
The three biggest improvements you could make on this team would be a new cm partner for Partey, a new CF and a new RB.

The difference between when he was on the pitch and off it was shocking. What he did for the goal is so simple, yet our midfielders are not capable of it. It wasn't the only direct ball he played and he isn't even at full match fitness.

We really need to think about the type of player we need to put next to him as Partey isn't an all out dm. We need a player similar to him who can do both jobs so they can take turns in who goes forward.

Ideally we need 3 in that mould and the last spot can be reserved for someone like Azeez. Creativity comes in many forms. Partey likes to receive in crowd scenes. He isn't bothered by having 3 players near him, it means that it creates space for ESR. I watched ESR closely when Partey went off. He saw the ball so much less as Elneny, Luiz and Xhaka became b dominant.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
The three biggest improvements you could make on this team would be a new cm partner for Partey, a new CF and a new RB.

The difference between when he was on the pitch and off it was shocking. What he did for the goal is so simple, yet our midfielders are not capable of it. It wasn't the only direct ball he played and he isn't even at full match fitness.

We really need to think about the type of player we need to put next to him as Partey isn't an all out dm. We need a player similar to him who can do both jobs so they can take turns in who goes forward.

Ideally we need 3 in that mould and the last spot can be reserved for someone like Azeez. Creativity comes in many forms. Partey likes to receive in crowd scenes. He isn't bothered by having 3 players near him, it means that it creates space for ESR. I watched ESR closely when Partey went off. He saw the ball so much less as Elneny, Luiz and Xhaka became b dominant.

Sounds almost like an old-fashioned 4-4-2 midfield with two B2Bs. I'm no tactics expert so I don't know who's the best partner for Partey, but it strikes me that usually a mix of complementary talents usually make for a good partnership instead of two players who both have the same skill set and the same role.

Like I presume you're thinking of someone like Bissouma. So in that scenario you have Partey and Bissouma in a double pivot in a 4-2-3-1, right? But like what are their roles, are they both 8s, is one a 6 and the other an 8, like how does it work.

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka

Yea I like Laca, but we def need an improvement on him. Bellerin has been bang average for too long, even Cedric looked like what you'd expect from a fullback and he is not a very good player. But at least Cedric can cross and is actually a better dribbler than Bellerin. We def need a partner for Partey better than Ceballos, El neny and Xhaka. All of them are too limited. Sabitzer would be a good shout. I think we also need another attacking mid. We can't just depend on ESR all season. If we can clog some of these needs, we could compete for the league real soon. I just don't see many teams that are legit special in the league, including Liverpool and Man City.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Sounds almost like an old-fashioned 4-4-2 midfield with two B2Bs. I'm no tactics expert so I don't know who's the best partner for Partey, but it strikes me that usually a mix of complementary talents usually make for a good partnership instead of two players who both have the same skill set and the same role.

Like I presume you're thinking of someone like Bissouma. So in that scenario you have Partey and Bissouma in a double pivot in a 4-2-3-1, right? But like what are their roles, are they both 8s, is one a 6 and the other an 8, like how does it work.

You are overthinking it. It doesn't have to be Bissouma. However it is really important that it is a two way player. There is no need to think of the role Partey plays. If you try and pigeon him into a 6 or an 8, even a 10 it will just limit your thinking.

We need two midfielders who can travel with without the ball, who can cover large spaces so full backs can push. Midfielders who are athletic and who can recover but also break through lines with dribbling. Comfortable receiving in tight spaces and able to play between lines as well as spray long passes. Partey literally has everything.

If we could put another player next to him who has the same skill set, why wouldn't you do it? It would allow us to push 6 forward and keep a box of 4.

If you had the option of having Yaya Toure next to Vieira would you turn it down because you feel we need a Gilberto? If the player is available you do it. I am sure the idea of Sabitzer looks lovely, but Bissouma literally walks into the team, places himself next to Partey and we instantly become so much better. Nobody runs through that midfield, and nobody presses it. We own the centre of the pitch which means we control the game.

Its then about having thr right players rocking around the box of four. A replica of Tierney at rb, a Cf who can link play and hold the ball, run in behind, dribble and contest serially and you are looking at a team that can challenge for the league. Not a squad, but a team that can match anyone.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
If you had the option of having Yaya Toure next to Vieira would you turn it down because you feel we need a Gilberto? If the player is available you do it. I am sure the idea of Sabitzer looks lovely, but Bissouma literally walks into the team, places himself next to Partey and we instantly become so much better. Nobody runs through that midfield, and nobody presses it. We own the centre of the pitch which means we control the game.
That's exactly what I think will happen, Arteta thinks so much of Xhaka that he will ignore again that position.
Not sure why you want another CF, we have Auba/Martinelli (if Laca is off) and I would see that as a waste of resources.
The budget will be probably for 1 bigger investment only unless we finally decide to sell a couple of players to finance a move for another one.

DasBootist

Gilberto was a fantastic foil for Vieira. Knowing he had Gilberto covering him allowed Vieira to make his famous surges into the final third, similar to what Petit did before him.

Why downplay Gilberto's contributions with this bizarro Toure tangent?

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
You are overthinking it. It doesn't have to be Bissouma. However it is really important that it is a two way player. There is no need to think of the role Partey plays. If you try and pigeon him into a 6 or an 8, even a 10 it will just limit your thinking.

We need two midfielders who can travel with without the ball, who can cover large spaces so full backs can push. Midfielders who are athletic and who can recover but also break through lines with dribbling. Comfortable receiving in tight spaces and able to play between lines as well as spray long passes. Partey literally has everything.

If we could put another player next to him who has the same skill set, why wouldn't you do it? It would allow us to push 6 forward and keep a box of 4.

Its then about having thr right players rocking around the box of four. A replica of Tierney at rb, a Cf who can link play and hold the ball, run in behind, dribble and contest serially and you are looking at a team that can challenge for the league. Not a squad, but a team that can match anyone.

Fair enough, yes I absolutely would take Yaya next to Vieira. But in that case, it's like, isn't there someone better than Bissouma? I mean for sure Bissouma is the right age with the right experience to step up, but is he really quality? Look at Ryan Gravenberch, he can do everything you just described and his ceiling is 10x greater than Bissouma's. Or if it's too soon for Gravenberch why not wait for Aouar in the summer and pair him with Partey?

I'm inclined to pair two absolute quality midfielders together and make it work rather than pair a quality midfielder with a good-but-not-elite midfielder just cos he's a good athlete.

And frankly the most likely thing is that Arteta wants to move to a 4-3-3. Partey might not be just a no. 6, but imo long-term Arteta wants him for that Fernandinho role. ESR long-term looks like an attacking 8 on the right side, so Arteta wants another attacking 8 for the left side, guys like Aouar or Gravenberch are perfect for that. And more importantly, they're absolute class.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
That's exactly what I think will happen, Arteta thinks so much of Xhaka that he will ignore again that position.

Not sure why you want another CF, we have Auba/Martinelli (if Laca is off) and I would see that as a waste of resources.
The budget will be probably for 1 bigger investment only unless we finally decide to sell a couple of players to finance a move for another one.

They don't have the traits needed in that position and I don't want them being smashed by CBS the whole game. Need a more robust player with excellent ball retention an aerial threat.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Gilberto was a fantastic foil for Vieira. Knowing he had Gilberto covering him allowed Vieira to make his famous surges into the final third, similar to what Petit did before him.

Why downplay Gilberto's contributions with this bizarro Toure tangent?

I'm not downplaying Gilberto's contribution. I am just saying. If you asked him to, Vieira could have done Gilbertos job.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
And if you do want another midfielder with those athletic qualities i'm pretty sure there are cheaper options out there than Bissouma. This team is lacking a bit of magic, it doesn't need 40m spent on Bissouma.

DasBootist

I'm not downplaying Gilberto's contribution. I am just saying. If you asked him to, Vieira could have done Gilbertos job.
But then you wouldn't be maximising Vieira's potential. Did you watch Arsenal back in the day? Sure, Vieira could tackle and liked to get stuck in, but he was not a defensive midfielder. He needed to play alongside one, though.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
They don't have the traits needed in that position and I don't want them being smashed by CBS the whole game. Need a more robust player with excellent ball retention an aerial threat.
I'm not arguing that, but we'll have to balance investments. You go for a CF and we'll have to watch Xhaka and Bellerin for another year, or you replace Xhaka and Bellerin and you watch Auba playing CF.
I'd rather see a world class midfield, Partey-Bissouma-ESR rather than patching other positions with questionable results of how it would work. Bissouma would take us to another level, that's almost certain and the risk for that investment would be almost 0, which you can't say for other positions/investments

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

I’ll take bissouma always impressed by him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom