• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Thomas Partey: Midfield Tank Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
I'm pretty much giving him a pass on this season given he's rarely looked 100% up to speed after injuries. Not that he's been poor by our CM standards at all.

The quality is obviously there but he needs to cut out some of his silly decisions / lapses in concentration. He's extremely lax at times and it's not just a tiredness thing. You'll see him doing it in the first 20 minutes of games.

We hammer Xhaka for this sort of stuff. A better player like Partey should be called out for it too.

Anyway, I've got faith he'll really produce the good next season as long as he steers clear of injury and gets a decent preseason.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Just to be clear from my end. What I noted as cowardly play primarily isn't not trying long forward paces, but when the pressure starts to mount not wanting to be the player who has to turn quickly, to dribble or make the more difficult short pass between and close to opposition players that are pressing.

I also think you can describe what Xhaka is doing as self-awareness of his own limitations and as cowardice. The end result is the same as it puts other players in a more difficult situation. This is also why I would have prefered Xhaka to come off instead of Elneny as at least around our won box Elneny can take more responsibility thanks to his better athleticism and ability to turn than Xhaka.

All players find it tougher under pressure though , hell Partey missed a 10 yard pass to Luis that went out for a corner. Then messes up a 4 yard pass , it happens .

I have never seen Elneny turn so I’ll just leave it there.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Best baller in midfield , but I’m not sure he can be the main man. Xhaka ahead of him at this stage as the cornerstone of this team.
This for me. For all the slander, Xhaka is still the man somehow.

Something I did not see myself saying this summer and Partey definitely strolls into this team with one hip, but yeah.

Football is funny, Partey can lose the ball at the edge of our area as many times as he wants, but it’s just seen completely differently :lol:

mpower2540

This for me. For all the slander, Xhaka is still the man somehow.

Something I did not see myself saying this summer and Partey definitely strolls into this team with one hip, but yeah.

Football is funny, Partey can lose the ball at the edge of our area as many times as he wants, but it’s just seen completely differently :lol:
Think that’s because the flashes of quality he has shown plus his natural attributes elevates our team hugely. Plus I’ll make no excuses I’m heavily biased towards him because I’ve loved the player for ages :lol:.

The very first time I watched him I thought “I wish we had him in our midfield” granted I didn’t watch him game in game out but every time I saw him he did something that stood out technically, fully fit and motoring he’s a monster physically. I just wish we’d got him sooner and in a better squad of players. He’s a champions league level player I’m in no doubt

mpower2540

Just to be clear from my end. What I noted as cowardly play primarily isn't not trying long forward paces, but when the pressure starts to mount not wanting to be the player who has to turn quickly, to dribble or make the more difficult short pass between and close to opposition players that are pressing.

I also think you can describe what Xhaka is doing as self-awareness of his own limitations and as cowardice. The end result is the same as it puts other players in a more difficult situation. This is also why I would have prefered Xhaka to come off instead of Elneny as at least around our won box Elneny can take more responsibility thanks to his better athleticism and ability to turn than Xhaka.
I’d say this is part of the mental fragility we have as a team. Xhaka does it, Elneny does it but even ESR on Thursday night gave Partey an utter hospital pass in the corner that Partey has to try wriggle out of and was lucky to get a free kick. Leno looked panicked, the entire team did bar Ødegaard and there was no real need to.

It’s this whole “well if I’m the one who doesn’t give it away it’s not my fault” mind set when the pressure starts to increase.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Think that’s because the flashes of quality he has shown plus his natural attributes elevates our team hugely. Plus I’ll make no excuses I’m heavily biased towards him because I’ve loved the player for ages :lol:.

The very first time I watched him I thought “I wish we had him in our midfield” granted I didn’t watch him game in game out but every time I saw him he did something that stood out technically, fully fit and motoring he’s a monster physically. I just wish we’d got him sooner and in a better squad of players. He’s a champions league level player I’m in no doubt
I mainly watched him for CL or Ghana my nationality, so whilst I’m very familiar with him this is the first time I’m taking a good look at him.

He’s clearly a CL level player, but I reckon we will need another midfielder with different attributes to fix the team.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

He’s clearly a CL level player, but I reckon we will need another midfielder with different attributes to fix the team.
Playing next to Xhaka cannot be a pleasure when teams start pressing. Xhaka is not going to be an outlet to help, but one that will only increase the pressure on you. I personally think we cannot really improve unless we move away from Xhaka.

Partey on the other hand is absolutely quality. Calm, intelligent, technical, really strong and athletic. To me he was a top signing. He hasn’t been 100% fit and that shows. Had he been we would not languish where we are in the table. With a fit Partey we are a much better side. Cannot say the same thing about Xhaka.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Playing next to Xhaka cannot be a pleasure when teams start pressing. Xhaka is not going to be an outlet to help, but one that will only increase the pressure on you. I personally think we cannot really improve unless we move away from Xhaka.

Partey on the other hand is absolutely quality. Calm, intelligent, technical, really strong and athletic. To me he was a top signing. He hasn’t been 100% fit and that shows. Had he been we would not languish where we are in the table. With a fit Partey we are a much better side. Cannot say the same thing about Xhaka.

How you can come to that conclusion, particularly after this season, is quite baffling.

We’re 100% better with Xhaka. I think Partey is a world class midfielder and of course we’re better with him too- but our midfield without Xhaka lacks purpose and it has done for a long time now.

I think he and Partey have qualities which suit eachother and I’m disappointed we’ve not seen a lot of them in midfield. I think they can build and understanding and their physical and technical qualities make for a top class partnership.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

I’d say this is part of the mental fragility we have as a team. Xhaka does it, Elneny does it but even ESR on Thursday night gave Partey an utter hospital pass in the corner that Partey has to try wriggle out of and was lucky to get a free kick. Leno looked panicked, the entire team did bar Ødegaard and there was no real need to.

It’s this whole “well if I’m the one who doesn’t give it away it’s not my fault” mind set when the pressure starts to increase.
Fair point and I would not necessarily disagree and something that the coaches need to work on. Also don’t think it is only on the players but also on the setup and tactics.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Had he been we would not languish where we are in the table. With a fit Partey we are a much better side. Cannot say the same thing about Xhaka.
I need to see this team without Xhaka for an extended period for me to say this. Been easier to see what the team looks like without Partey as he just simply hasn’t done it.

Fwiw, Xhaka is definitely the cleaner passer. He can switch sides or really fizz it with conviction when he wants to. Whether he chooses to do it is a different discussion, but his passing is sadly overlooked on these forums.

Partey is more willing to try riskier balls that has led to goals or take pointless shots towards goal (much like when Xhaka joined) but I’m not convinced that is truly his game.

mpower2540

Fair point and I would not necessarily disagree and something that the coaches need to work on. Also don’t think it is only on the players but also on the setup and tactics.
This worries me. Arteta clearly values structure and perhaps even low risk football which can create an environment where players turn away from opportunities.

It’s happening right now at Sp**s, they looked utterly petrified to make any mistakes cos they knew they’d spend hours analysing what they’d done wrong.

Also the fact they apparently spent all their time looking at Orsic’s runs when they were 2-0 up and only needed one goal to kill the tie off completely. :lol:

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

How you can come to that conclusion, particularly after this season, is quite baffling.

We’re 100% better with Xhaka. I think Partey is a world class midfielder and of course we’re better with him too- but our midfield without Xhaka lacks purpose and it has done for a long time now.

I think he and Partey have qualities which suit eachother and I’m disappointed we’ve not seen a lot of them in midfield. I think they can build and understanding and their physical and technical qualities make for a top class partnership.
I find your position baffling, so we are even there...

The reason I am low on Xhaka is because I have seen him play for 5 years now and Xhaka simply is a very flawed player who will in the end find a way to let us down.

I watch more or less all games. My mind on Xhaka is made up. He needs to be moved on. This is also why I would like to see us try a different DM combination in the 4231 than with Xhaka.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

I need to see this team without Xhaka for an extended period for me to say this. Been easier to see what the team looks like without Partey as he just simply hasn’t done it.
I agree with this and this is something I hope we can see more than for one game. But Mikel keeps on picking Xhaka and he is never injured so goes we will have to wait. I hope it comes sooner rather than later as it in my view is keeping us back.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

I agree with this and this is something I hope we can see more than for one game. But Mikel keeps on picking Xhaka and he is never injured so goes we will have to wait. I hope it comes sooner rather than later as it in my view is keeping us back.
Indeed the lack of Ceballos and Elneny is really holding us back :lol:

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

He was excellent in the NLD, then has an underwhelming cameo vs Olympiacos when the entire team was playing poorly and people are losing their **** in a season that's already been stop start for him because of rare injuries if you look at his career.
Agree. Not clear how Partey all of a sudden is being criticised and ranked below Xhaka? How you can arrive there even briefly after 5 years of Xhaka diet? The internets are strange places as Mr. Bush once said... :popcorn:

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
I find your position baffling, so we are even there...

The reason I am low on Xhaka is because I have seen him play for 5 years now and Xhaka simply is a very flawed player who will in the end find a way to let us down.

I watch more or less all games. My mind on Xhaka is made up. He needs to be moved on. This is also why I would like to see us try a different DM combination in the 4231 than with Xhaka.

You think Ceballos or Elneny would do a better job over a long stretch of games? Xhaka is a better player than both of them, flaws and all. He’s had more good games then bad- that’s for sure.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Pretty much this , and they’re also the most physical midfield we have had in a long time

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

You think Ceballos or Elneny would do a better job over a long stretch of games? Xhaka is a better player than both of them, flaws and all. He’s had more good games then bad- that’s for sure.
Partnered with Partey hopefully! As we haven't seen it, it is hard to judge, although the bar of being better than Xhaka is pretty low in my opinion.

I simply don't rate Xhaka and it is as plain and simple as that. He is much too limited a player in my view. In my book he has more downside than both Ceballos and Elneny and they sure aren't great CMs. I actually find it more baffling how anyone can watch 5 (five!) years of Xhaka and still rate him after all the **** he has produced season in and season out. He is the reason we struggle so often as he kills any quick transition, commits stupid mistakes, cannot deal with any real press and is an absolute coward with the ball! I honestly don't envy anyone playing with him.

PS. As this is the Partey thread let's take it to the Xhaka thread. I'll post something negative about Xhaka there and you can tell me what a fool I am and on we go! 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom