• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Thomas Partey: Midfield Tank Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
I can't recall when the last our cms won a "midfield battle" in a match. Constantly get bossed this season.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
He looked slightly sharper today, but he's been playing at 80% this season imo. Needs a nice long pre season with a plan with the fitness coach.

He's one of those players who needs to come out next season getting plaudits from commentators for being more fit. It's what's lacking from his game right now.
When was the last time he missed a match through injury?

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
In shape or when we park the bus? It's easier to be effective just breaking play up when the other team have to play riskier passes etc.

However when we play open and attack as well as defend he seems lost. Or has at least seemed lost in some games.
he more suited with this system because of A.Madrid he not played with team that very good going forward it's new thing for him and still despite all that there games he can pass forward much better than most other mids. he quality you need to get top 4 now we should get him partner that better than Xhaka.

akhil

He's basically playing by himself in that midfield since Xhaka went to LB.

For a manager who's all about possesion, all the passing options are behind him. Not sure what he's supposed to do when he instinctively wants to break fast and sees 1 teammate in front him surrounded by 3 oppositions players all the f**king time.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
he more suited with this system because of A.Madrid he not played with team that very good going forward it's new thing for him and still despite all that there games he can pass forward much better than most other mids. he quality you need to get top 4 now we should get him partner that better than Xhaka.
My point is its easier for a midfielder to play a defensive role and play one way. Defending.

Clearly defined.

However when the game is open and end to end you have to work twice ad hard and think twice as much.

That's where I think he struggles.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
When was the last time he missed a match through injury?
I don't mean it like that though. I'm no fitness expert but isn't this possible if he has recurring injuries and no rest? Considering we have played him A LOT when he's been somewhat available? I feel like he has been playing catch up with his fitness this season. he certainly looks like a slightly different man physically to what we saw at the start of the season, I remember him looking more agile and running more.

That's my two pence at least, I just think that he has physically gone backwards as the season has gone on, and the second leg against vs Villareal was quite telling. He is a professional though, so I'm sure he will sort it out. I am hoping that him fixing his fitness issue, in combination with fans returning, will push him forward.

mpower2540

I can't recall when the last our cms won a "midfield battle" in a match. Constantly get bossed this season.
Probably Man Utd away? I do think a large reason we fail to dominate midfield is down to how passive we are. That’s a collective attitude problem rather than an individual player problem imo.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
I don't mean it like that though. I'm no fitness expert but isn't this possible if he has recurring injuries and no rest? Considering we have played him A LOT when he's been somewhat available? I feel like he has been playing catch up with his fitness this season. he certainly looks like a slightly different man physically to what we saw at the start of the season, I remember him looking more agile and running more.

That's my two pence at least, I just think that he has physically gone backwards as the season has gone on, and the second leg against vs Villareal was quite telling. He is a professional though, so I'm sure he will sort it out. I am hoping that him fixing his fitness issue, in combination with fans returning, will push him forward.
But if he hasn't missed a match through injury and he has been fit to play for the past I don't know 10-12 matches (probably a couple of months) he should be operating at his normal capacity.

What would be really interesting is his running stats for us this season and for Atletico. Is he running more or at least being asked to cover more ground hence his performance in wide open games is a problem.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
But if he hasn't missed a match through injury and he has been fit to play for the past I don't know 10-12 matches (probably a couple of months) he should be operating at his normal capacity.

What would be really interesting is his running stats for us this season and for Atletico. Is he running more or at least being asked to cover more ground hence his performance in wide open games is a problem.
I feel like he was in a more compact and organised team + midfield at Athletico too. I didn't watch them because Simeone is the anti-christ of football but I remember them always playing anything between 3-5 CMs at once :lol: . Must have had a tight midfield where he can just occasionally step out of for nicking/intercepting the ball or trying high risk plays.

So yeah there's definetely a learning curve required here. We need to find him a partner too, I wonder how many games he has started with Xhaka in a double pivot this season, probably not much at all. But yeh above all of this I geniunely think something is up with his fitness right now. I guess time will tell if I'm wrong or right.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
I feel like he was in a more compact and organised team + midfield at Athletico too. I didn't watch them because Simeone is the anti-christ of football but I remember them always playing anything between 3-5 CMs at once :lol: . Must have had a tight midfield where he can just occasionally step out of for nicking/intercepting the ball or trying high risk plays.

So yeah there's definetely a learning curve required here. We need to find him a partner too, I wonder how many games he has started with Xhaka in a double pivot this season, probably not much at all. But yeh above all of this I geniunely think something is up with his fitness right now. I guess time will tell if I'm wrong or right.
The thing is we can't just say. Well we will only get the best or a good version of Partey when he has a suitable partner.

Said partner gets injured and Partey goes to **** the excuses start flying. Oh he didn't have a partner he didn't play enough games bla bla bla.

He had played about 10-15 mins against West Brom and standing over the free kick with Willian and Pepe he looked wrecked. Type of player suits defensive minded team not being asked to do too much box to box stuff I think. Rodri role at City as opposed to say Pogba when playing in midfield for United.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Said partner gets injured and Partey goes to **** the excuses start flying. Oh he didn't have a partner he didn't play enough games bla bla bla.
Not really. I think the way football works sometimes is maybe upon arriving to a club you struggle without a proper pairing and without constant minutes. Once you get over the hill and you are acclimatised you can hold your own better and perform better in difficult situations.
He had played about 10-15 mins against West Brom and standing over the free kick with Willian and Pepe he looked wrecked. Type of player suits defensive minded team not being asked to do too much box to box stuff I think.
I didn't watch the West Brom game. So he did look tired? It's something to work on then as I said. I don't think he's an unfit player. Simeone and his training coach are world famous for some of the stuff they put their players through. It would be best to see the miles he clocked for Athleti + the high intensity sprints and compare it to some of his games here.

And yes I don't think he's an extremely high energy player like Kante, JWP or Ramires (Chelsea guy if you remember him). He won't be flying up and down the pitch with commentators constantly talking about his engine. Partey is a bigger player firstly and secondly may not have the ceiling stamina wise of these players, who are the best around in that regard. I think he can play 6, and as a defensive numer 8 in a 433. Examples:

------Partey----Bissouma-------
--------------ESR-----------------

Or

------------Bissouma-------------
-------Partey-----Aouar----------

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Yeah, it's definitely his fitness/some kind of injury.

Was quality in the first half, could barely do anything in the second :lol:

Looking forward to a fully fit Partey next season!

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
Arsenal fans been calling for a DM for years.

Get a proper one then give out he can't do everything.

We had one in Coquelin but the majority of Arsenal fans wanted him out as they didn't consider him good enough on the ball. Now we have Partey who seems to give the ball away more cheaply than even Flamini and Frimpong.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Yeah, bit of a sub par season overall. Great last ditch interception in the box in the first half yesterday, not sure he gets a lot of credit for the amount he nicks the ball.

Looking forward to next season with him as a mainstay in the side, with hopefully more stamina thrown in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom