• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Thomas Partey: Midfield Tank Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Really good signing. All purpose midfielder with the kind of dynamism and athleticism we've lacked for a few years. Ticks a hell of a lot of boxes for me. Shame we couldn't push Aouar over the line, I'd have liked that. However, that loss could potentially be the gain of younger players such as Saka, ESR and Willock to eventually step up their output (well, Saka's output is already high) and solve that issue for us. But with Partey in that midfield, we now have a lot more presence, fluidity and mobility - also opens up the door for a lot of different combinations - IF Arteta decides to do more 3 man midfields.

All in all, this has been a pretty OK window - only downside is that we didn't get rid of all the people we needed to sell to trim the squad down.

Pyres7

Not to jinx it, but by checking his stats page, two things are obvious.
https://uk.soccerway.com/players/thomas-teye-partey/250434/

He has a ridiculous number of red cards, surely the PL refs (Dean, Atkinson, Oliver, Taylor etc..) will love dashing their cards on tough challenges he will make.

But on the other side, he is tough as a horse.
In a period of 7 years with Atletico, he was sidelined for a total of only 3 weeks
Actually if you look at the career section and scroll right, it shows that he's never got a straight red in any competition, and only 5 double yellows. Four of those were in his younger years playing for Atletico reserves and Mallorca.

So no red cards in his whole career, club or country, and only 1 double yellow in the last 7-8 years - crazy stats for a player who plays in a high risk position!

It's ok lets just get excited for once :Celebration:

samshere

Why so serieuse?
What a loss to the pun world it would've been if Partey never moved to an English team. The EPL owes us for bring him here.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Arteta's words

EjEprCLWoAciuAO

That intensity and athletic aggression is something our midfield has lacked for so long that's finally been addressed.

Agree completely

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Thanks for posting. Like that we seem to be a real draw for good African players. Arsenal must be a big club on that continent. Auba, Partey and Pepe etc. all must be big names there.

Really like that we have a squad of all kind of ethnic backgrounds. When the squad takes a knee before the games I feel proud to be completely honest.

DSTV is the major pan African sports broadcaster and they blew up around the time of the invincibles. Arsenal has a HUGE base because of Thierry Henry, Vieira, Lauren, Kolo, Kanu et al. Chelsea also because of Drogba and Essien. Pool because of Mané and to a lesser extent Salah.

City have relatively few by comparison.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
The Ghana pun is a solid 6/10, could have gone with "Ghana dominate the EPL" or similar.

Good signing, don't think he's the world class Vieira replacement some think he is but certainly a great option to have.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

The Ghana pun is a solid 6/10, could have gone with "Ghana dominate the EPL" or similar.

Good signing, don't think he's the world class Vieira replacement some think he is but certainly a great option to have.

I bet no one thinks he will be as good as Vieira, that would mean GOAT level.

People have just said that he is similar as in a complete, UCL level, midfielder who will start every game possible compared to our current midfielders.

"Great option to have" makes it sound like we a signed squad player.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
I bet no one thinks he will be as good as Vieira, that would mean GOAT level.

People have just said that he is similar as in a complete, UCL level, midfielder who will start every game possible compared to our current midfielders.

"Great option to have" makes it sound like we a signed squad player.

Tbh I was referring to one of my mates who has been guffing on about Thomas Partey ever since we were linked.

re:bolded..I mean...its a squad game. I think Partey will easily play 30-40 games per year for us.

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko
Tbh I was referring to one of my mates who has been guffing on about Thomas Partey ever since we were linked.

re:bolded..I mean...its a squad game. I think Partey will easily play 30-40 games per year for us.

I actually think from now on we'll be resting players much more often than we have been able to in the past 3-4 years.

Think aside from goalkeeper Arteta wants to be rotating a lot more even when Covid will finally be *over*.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Weird that the Arsenal twitter background photo has changed to a pic of Partey, doesn't it usually do that for all new signings?

Think in a week it will come out that the deal didn't go through, right now Arsenal are just lying to us imo.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Weird that the Arsenal twitter background photo has changed to a pic of Partey, doesn't it usually do that for all new signings?

Think in a week it will come out that the deal didn't go through, right now Arsenal are just lying to us imo.

Think it's because we haven't had him in for any photos.

Tomb Bombadil

How is that crazy? He has clearly been underpaid for years now. He is a top 10 midfielder in the world. Very versatile, durable and still in his prime. Wages shouldn't matter to the fans, so long as the player puts in great performances that elevate the team.
I guess he would be the highest paid DM in the world. And I thought we want to reduce our wage bill + it's always delicate to pay this kind of salaries because other players want also be paid higher. Compare United/Arsenal to Sp**s.

Also a big problem is we are in a highly uncertain time and we are making hugh losses. And of course every pound you are paying in to a player will not be available for other fees/salaries.

And of course if it's not working out or he has an injury you have a lot of dead capital or he's impossible to move on.

So I thought he would be in the Willian/Lacazette salary bracket with around £150k-200k

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Also weird how underpaid Partey seemed to be by Atletico, Makelele was the same at Madrid back in the day and that's why they lost him to Chelsea...we even accepted a bid from Real for Vieira in summer 2004, but when Madrid offered Paddy the same wage Claude was on, Vieira told them to **** off.

Spanish clubs do seem to underestimate black players ngl...Barca paid Inter Milan like £40 million plus Samuel Eto'o for Ibra in 2009 after Eto'o was their top scorer in a Treble winning season...very dodgy :lol:

Last edited:

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
I personally think his reputation has taken a hit for all those years he’s been at Athletico. If he were at Barca, Real Madrid, Juventus etc he would be considered top 5 in his position. I really don’t think people understand the magnitude of this signing. This to me is up there with the Auba, Sanchez and Özil signings.
However, people don’t take time to watch an ugly team like Athletico play so he often gets branded as just a “destroyer”. He is capable of so much more.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Also weird how underpaid Partey seemed to Atletico, Makelele was the same at Madrid back in the day and that's why they lost him to Chelsea...we even accepted a bid from Real for Vieira in summer 2004, but when Madrid offered Paddy the same wage Claude was on, Vieira told them to **** off.

Spanish clubs do seem to underestimate black players ngl...Barca paid Inter Milan like £40 million pounds plus Samuel Eto'o for Ibra in 2009 after Eto'o was their top scorer in a Treble winning season...very dodgy :lol:

For everyone example like that there is a counter-example...Marcelo, Dani Alves, Kondogbia, Iñaki, Isak, Salisu...plenty of black players have found their career in Spain where they didn't find it in other places.

Wages in general are far lower here in Spain. The wage Thomas was on at Atléti is typical of their wage structure. Just because we can cherrypick a couple of black players doesn't mean anything, the general trend is simply that if a player wants to get a higher wage he goes on to the prem, we can think of the same case for hundreds of white players (Santi, Mata, Silva, Rodri, the hundreds of players that have migrated from Spain to England...coaches too...). Did Madrid let go Reguilón and keep Marcelo and Mendy, or let Brahim and Kubo go and keep Rodrygo and Vinicius because they are racist towards non-black players? No...same as the reverse isn't true.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

I guess he would be the highest paid DM in the world. And I thought we want to reduce our wage bill + it's always delicate to pay this kind of salaries because other players want also be paid higher. Compare United/Arsenal to Sp**s.

Also a big problem is we are in a highly uncertain time and we are making hugh losses. And of course every pound you are paying in to a player will not be available for other fees/salaries.

And of course if it's not working out or he has an injury you have a lot of dead capital or he's impossible to move on.

So I thought he would be in the Willian/Lacazette salary bracket with around £150k-200k

According to Ornstein he is on ~£230k per week. Over 4 years it will make ~5 million pounds more than 200k per week.

Who cares? I never thought we'd get UCL level player after 3 years in a row in UEL.

The release clause was low for his skill level, so the money comes from there already.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Also weird how underpaid Partey seemed to Atletico, Makelele was the same at Madrid back in the day and that's why they lost him to Chelsea...we even accepted a bid from Real for Vieira in summer 2004, but when Madrid offered Paddy the same wage Claude was on, Vieira told them to **** off.

Spanish clubs do seem to underestimate black players ngl...Barca paid Inter Milan like £40 million pounds plus Samuel Eto'o for Ibra in 2009 after Eto'o was their top scorer in a Treble winning season...very dodgy :lol:
I’m glad you said it because I really didn’t want to get into a commentary of race in football but unfortunately there’s a lot of truth in what you’re saying. I think black players are almost subconsciously or consciously rated as less intelligent or just dependent on their physical attributes. Pogba, Partey, Toure all have great technical ability but they’ll never be praised for their technique the same way Thiago, Kroos or Modric do. And in reverse a lot of non-black players do not get praised for their physical attributes too. A peak Modric had a very good burst and deceptively strong whereas Kroos has a good build and has good core strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom