• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Thomas Partey: Midfield Tank Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Tonight was precisely why I wanted Aouar or James or a creative midfielder more than Thomas. Xhaka-Thomas-Ceballos midfield in this kind of game is so redundant.

Such negligence going into this season without signing a creative player in a time that had a DIRE need for it.

Manberg

Predator
Tonight was precisely why I wanted Aouar or James or a creative midfielder more than Thomas. Xhaka-Thomas-Ceballos midfield in this kind of game is so redundant.

Such negligence going into this season without signing a creative player in a time that had a DIRE need for it.

You have Aulas to blame for that. Can you really justify £60m for Aouar in a covid market?

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League

But we did create chances today. Not in the most orthodox way but we did. Creativity does not come from attacking midfielders, you need to move on from that mindset. It can come from anywhere. Our plan was to let Luiz switch the ball out to Saka or Tierney and overload the left. It worked well in the first half but we were not ruthless in the final third (as usual)

GoonerBoy19

But we did create chances today. Not in the most orthodox way but we did. Creativity does not come from attacking midfielders, you need to move on from that mindset. It can come from anywhere. Our plan was to let Luiz switch the ball out to Saka or Tierney and overload the left. It worked well in the first half but we were not ruthless in the final third (as usual)

Luiz went off at 49th min and we were headless chickens after that. We cannot rely on a single outlet, need to mix up our attack. Otherwise teams will just neutralize us with out much hard work.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
He is a better passer than both Ceballos and Xhaka. He can receive the ball under pressure, yet we completely bypassed him.

Wtf is our pattern of play? What is it geared to? It's pretty simple to me, give the ball to Partey as much as possible, get the full backs on overlaps and feed Pepe and Saka in one on one situations. That's all we should be looking to do.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
I have no idea what the plan is with Partey, yesterday it seemed to be avoid him at all costs. So often he wanted the ball but because a Leicester player was near him everyone avoided him. Partey can take a pass under pressure, that's why he doesn't need to create space around him. He can receive the ball move and pass all under pressure. Very strange to watch yesterday. Personally I dont want to see him and Xhaka togther in a 3 or a 2. I'd rather see Partey and Willock or Partey and Ceballos. in a 4-2-1-3

Moah

Its like we can put three cones and they'd be of use as much as our current midfielders. The plan on the ball completely removes the midfield. We just use our midfield to shield the defense as Gabriel and Luiz play long balls to our full backs and wingers.

Nothing is more midtable than the way we're playing right now.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
I have no idea what the plan is with Partey, yesterday it seemed to be avoid him at all costs. So often he wanted the ball but because a Leicester player was near him everyone avoided him. Partey can take a pass under pressure, that's why he doesn't need to create space around him. He can receive the ball move and pass all under pressure. Very strange to watch yesterday. Personally I dont want to see him and Xhaka togther in a 3 or a 2. I'd rather see Partey and Willock or Partey and Ceballos. in a 4-2-1-3
Our squad simply is not used to being able to pass to anyone who is even remotely under pressure. It's why we have such a slow paced game. Our players are always looking for players with 5 meters of space (hence the sidewards and backwards passes). Just look at Leeds (to not give one of the top teams in the world like Bayern and City as an example), strong/hard passes to players under pressure. That's what you need to be a ball-playing side.

Our players give weak, inaccurate passes to players in lots of space. Perhaps they don't trust themselves to make the pass more than the receiver.

One of the things that excited me about the Partey signing is that we finally have a midfielder who can receive the ball under pressure. The only other senior midfielder that can do that in our squad is Özil.

I reckon Saka and ESR can do it, but most don't see Saka as a midfielder and ESR isn't featured.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
He looks great and perfect but I really hope Arteta doesn't force him to play a deep libero role he seems to gravitate towards.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Our squad simply is not used to being able to pass to anyone who is even remotely under pressure. It's why we have such a slow paced game. Our players are always looking for players with 5 meters of space (hence the sidewards and backwards passes). Just look at Leeds (to not give one of the top teams in the world like Bayern and City as an example), strong/hard passes to players under pressure. That's what you need to be a ball-playing side.

Our players give weak, inaccurate passes to players in lots of space. Perhaps they don't trust themselves to make the pass more than the receiver.

One of the things that excited me about the Partey signing is that we finally have a midfielder who can receive the ball under pressure. The only other senior midfielder that can do that in our squad is Özil.

I reckon Saka and ESR can do it, but most don't see Saka as a midfielder and ESR isn't featured.

I agree! Now we have Partey its up to Arteta to change the way we play. Against Leicester it was like none of our players had ever seen Partey play.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
We always needed both Partey and Aouar because our midfield is just poor overall.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚

Ehh, we created relatively little:
I never said you can only create with creative midfielders, but it's very hard to create reliably and well when you have not a single player (minus Saka, who only really appears in the left channel in the 10 space, so it becomes predictable) who can receive and play in between lines. It's just a massive, massive deficiency in the squad and like I said, a major negligence not solving it going into this season. Lacazette, as I said in his thread, as a false 9/mediapunta is a really terrible tactic, he is not adept at all at that, and comparisons to Firmino are way off the mark, he's just not in the same league in that type of association ability.

You cannot play Xhaka-Thomas-Ceballos in a game like this against a low block. It's totally redundant. One of those three needs to be dropped for a more attacking player. Despite being a pure 4-3-3 yesterday he's gone with a far more conservative lineup than he did when he started Willian-Auba-Pepe and Saka-Xhaka-Ceballos in the 4-3-3/3-4-3 hybrid.

Unfortunately we are short on attacking players. Willian is hurt and Pepe is really a rather unreliable and uninspiring option for a club aspiring for top 4 places.

Negligence to not sign a creative player who is comfortable operating in the 10 space and can help to create more chances for a team devoid of players adept at operating in the 10 space and hugely deficient at creating chances.

blrgooner

Established Member

Completely agree. Its strange to see that arsenal are a team which has lack of confidence in technical abilities of players. The only players who even attempted such kind of passes yesterday were Partey and Gabriel. Why are we so scared? I am a big fan of Arteta but I do feel maybe this is on him.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Poor guy was the only midfielder in a formation where we essentially had 3 players on the left (Xhaka, Tierney, Saka) and 3 players on the right (Bellerin, Ceballos, Auba).

The only two players who weren't hugging the touchline in the entire midfield and attack was Partey and Laca. There is no chance of playing the middle due to this.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
He also just didn't play that well.

Stop defending the old midfielder that few on here like, while having a go at the new midfielder that we have needed for years :lol:

Pyres7

Poor guy was the only midfielder in a formation where we essentially had 3 players on the left (Xhaka, Tierney, Saka) and 3 players on the right (Bellerin, Ceballos, Auba).

The only two players who weren't hugging the touchline in the entire midfield and attack was Partey and Laca. There is no chance of playing the middle due to this.
Was about to post the same thing. Whenever we had possession, Xhaka dropped to LCB, Ceballos went to RM to cover Bellerin, and Partey was on his own in the middle. Clearly the game plan to bypass the middle at attack through the wings.

Didn't really work though, you need some kind of prescence in the centre to occupy their CMs, otherwise their spare men will go to where the danger is anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom