• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Thomas Partey

Do you think Partey will sign for Arsenal?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
What good and less expensive alternatives do you suggest?
Tough to say, given how multifaceted Partey is as a player. We'd have to sacrifice one element or try to bring in two similar players to make up for it, which bring it's own problem of overcrowding.

If it's PnP we want, then we can try and get Sangare. He won't cost more than £15m from a relegated team. He's not fantastic on the ball but he's adequate albeit rough around the edges. He's an excellent duel winner though and would add necessary power to our midfield. I think he's quality for what he does but a tad limited.

Soumare would cost quite a bit himself and probably would move to a better club. I'm not a huge Doucoure fan but he's PL tested and a decent blend of athleticism and technique. There's one gamble I'd consider seriously aswell, and that's bringing back Josh Dasilva from Brentford. He's both powerful and technically sound, probably one of the best all-round midfielders in his age group at the moment. Still young at 21 aswell.

With all those players, they are strong in particular areas but relatively weak in at least one, so there's gonna be gambles. I'd love Soumare but he's out of our reach IMO. Think Sangare or Dasilva would be underrated gets, and if we want PL experience, then Doucoure is a shout. It's not perfect but we have to learn to be a bit more creative in terms of recruitment - particularly if we can't get what we want but we can identify similar profiles and work with it.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Tough to say, given how multifaceted Partey is as a player. We'd have to sacrifice one element or try to bring in two similar players to make up for it, which bring it's own problem of overcrowding.

If it's PnP we want, then we can try and get Sangare. He won't cost more than £15m from a relegated team. He's not fantastic on the ball but he's adequate albeit rough around the edges. He's an excellent duel winner though and would add necessary power to our midfield. I think he's quality for what he does but a tad limited.

Soumare would cost quite a bit himself and probably would move to a better club. I'm not a huge Doucoure fan but he's PL tested and a decent blend of athleticism and technique. There's one gamble I'd consider seriously aswell, and that's bringing back Josh Dasilva from Brentford. He's both powerful and technically sound, probably one of the best all-round midfielders in his age group at the moment. Still young at 21 aswell.

With all those players, they are strong in particular areas but relatively weak in at least one, so there's gonna be gambles. I'd love Soumare but he's out of our reach IMO. Think Sangare or Dasilva would be underrated gets, and if we want PL experience, then Doucoure is a shout. It's not perfect but we have to learn to be a bit more creative in terms of recruitment - particularly if we can't get what we want but we can identify similar profiles and work with it.

Ibrahima Diallo too, not as physically imposing as someone like Sangare but very good stamina apparently, a bit like Kante. Sangare seems like the obvious cheaper alternative though.

Burt Gold

That sentence is something a 12 year old would come up with.

:lol:

No. If you could clearly read my post in which I said sign a CB and then use the rest of the funds on a midfielder.

Spending 50m outright on Partey doesn’t make sense when there are other options out there.
Who are your other options?

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Ibrahima Diallo too, not as physically imposing as someone like Sangare but very good stamina apparently, a bit like Kante. Sangare seems like the obvious cheaper alternative though.
That's an interesting shout. One of my football mates loves him. I've only seen him on youtube but in terms of profile he's not far away from our needs. Quality remains to be seen.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
If we desperately want we'll have to convince A.Madrid to accept big upfront payment i think it will be our last chance seem we don't want to pay full 50M at once.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
You have to make offers to test the waters. I'm pretty sure he will sign, we might just need to win that FA cup final to make life easier for ourselves though.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
I agree, having a solid midfield to build on would be a devastating blow for the club.

Look, I rate Thomas and I would love to have him at the club, have watched his whole development with Atléti. But we have numerous needs and a small budget, and Guendouzi is a player with as much or more talent than Thomas, it is a matter of coaching and helping him improve his defensive aspect, which with good cochina should be possible.

We simply cannot be afford to be paying 25m + an asset like Guendouzi in a rebuild. Guendouzi should be developed into an even bigger asset and not sold at the bottom of his value. And the only way we are getting Thomas here in any realistic scenario from Atléti is by paying him over the odds in wages, because otherwise it is a step down. So we are talking about a significant financial outlay.

If it’s Guendouzi for a player of a similar age and projection then fine. But there is just no way we are going to fill all our needs and get back into the top 4 like this.

Anyways, I expect this is all bullshit, Thomas is likely leveraging us to get a better deal with Atléti.

But if it's not, we are just not gonna get there through this type of inefficient use of resources. If we want to even compete for top 4 next season we'll need a creative attacking midfielder (significant outlay), a centre back, Ceballos or someone even more expensive, re-sign Aubameyang (significant money outlay in itself), and probably two signings for the future because we are lacking in talents that are really going to push us forward long-term (Joelson and a young creative midfielder, for example).

There is room for clever accounting (perhaps we can do a Ceballos loan with buy at the end of the season), but simply put, it is highly unlikely we are going to achieve our goals using our resources like that. I would sooner go ahead with Guendouzi-Ceballos in the pivot with Xhaka as back-up, and spend those 25m otherwise, while developing an asset (Guendouzi). Guendouzi needs to be got back on board, period: sell him next year or in the winter window but selling low is not a good solution for a club in our state with our plenitude of needs.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes

Zakaria by a landslide on those imo, but probably out of sight at this point and easily 50m :(

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Signing Partey would be great, but looking at Atletico's insistency for cash makes it a rather bad deal for us, if we do not have significant cash left.

Signing Partey but ignoring our main issues would be shocking to say the least.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Signing Partey would be great, but looking at Atletico's insistency for cash makes it a rather bad deal for us, if we do not have significant cash left.

Signing Partey but ignoring our main issues would be shocking to say the least.
To be fair, midfield as a whole is probably the biggest issue we have right now - even more than our bloated and bad defence!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom