<

Thomas Partey

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Troopz, Oct 16, 2018.

?

Do you think Partey will sign for Arsenal?

1. Yes

43.3%
  2. No

56.7%
  1. field442

field442 Hates Journalists Named James

I think it’s about options. In the big games you might want a three of Xhaka, Ceballos and Partey. In games where teams sit back and we need to break them down you’d play Partey and one of the other two with Coutinho in front of them.

say yes and Makavelii like this.
  2. Makavelii

Makavelii Active Member

Arteta was good at this too. He was disciplined at dropping back and covering us. Not as aggressive a ball winner though.

tap-in likes this.
  3. dashsnow17

dashsnow17 Established Member

We need more than just Xhaka and Ceballos. It's pretty clear those are the only two central midfielders Arteta trusts to do a job, and you can't go through a whole season with just that.

Funnily enough if we got Partey our CM options would be very similar to what Chelsea had this season. Xhaka for Jorginho, Ceballos for Kovacic and Partey for Kante.

tcahill, North5, Trilly and 4 others like this.
  4. Trilly

Trilly The John Sauce Of Ilford

Wish I hadn't watched this. I need him in my midfield now ffs.

He's terrifying.:lol:

Gunners1616 and Rex Banter like this.
  5. KrissKringle

KrissKringle Well-Known Member

Arteta was always bullied by other players and lost the ball in dangerous places because of his small frame.

6. Sebastes

Sebastes Statbomb Merchant

Yes, but those stats are actually a bit worrying. I mean Partey looks the part the few times I've seen him but defensively he doesn't do a lot at all looking at stats.

I saw an analysis of why City have been weak defensively and a fair part of that came back to Rodri not being too proficient in tackling, intercepting and pressuring.

With Partey coming in addition to Xhaka, Ceballos and more creative options we address the athleticism but not our defensive weakness (unless Arteta pulls some masterclass in redefining the way Partey plays).

@Rex Banter I know yourself and Atletico fans rate Partey highly, what's your take on this?

Dutch D likes this.
  7. Sebastes

Sebastes Statbomb Merchant

[​IMG]

8. Trilly

Trilly The John Sauce Of Ilford

Hard to compare systems but seems like he can do what the current (safe passing) version of Xhaka does as well as progress the ball.

Xhaka will be forced to be more progressive or Partey completely and utterly benches him.

9. al-Ustaadh

al-Ustaadh Professor of Twitter

10. Marjorie

Marjorie Thread Monopolizer

Nothing new there really

11. Rex Banter

Rex Banter Got Swerved By Gallas Trusted

Like @Trilly says a lot of it is down to system, Atletico as a team like to trap on the sidelines rather than just sit in a low block.

Also he’s not a straight DM, if you want someone to patrol the center circle breaking up attacks and not doing much else you’d be better going after Ndidi or Sangare.

Partey is a central midfielder in a sense that he’s a natural ball carrier, plays on the front front and links play in a way that Ndidi can’t.

He’s basically a Ramsey type midfielder who’s better at winning the ball but worse in terms of end product.

Sebastes, The_Playmaker and Trilly like this.
  12. yousif_arsenal

yousif_arsenal King of Twitter Rumours Moderator

Think Arsenal know about his clause long time ago. But we not going to disrespect A.Madrid and activate his release clause while they still have CL to play for and he said he focused with A.Madrid for remaining of season unlike Werner

al-Ustaadh and tap-in like this.
  13. tap-in

tap-in Nothing Wrong With Me

Hopefully things have been agreed on the basis we pay the release clause, so yes, no rush if the player wants us!

14. yousif_arsenal

yousif_arsenal King of Twitter Rumours Moderator

Him not signing new contract should make things clear he waiting until season ends to decide we'll have to stay patient for 2-3 more weeks

15. The_Playmaker

The_Playmaker Established Member

Sangare is available for peanuts. There is a lot of Partey talk, but there are a lot of players out there who fit the fernandinho mould.

Arteta most likely wants two monster Cbs and a monster dm to allow his full backs to push and both wide players to tuck inside. If we add a striker who can dribble and hold the ball, you then have an interchangeable front 3.

Or will he play Auba central?

sykesy69 likes this.
  16. al-Ustaadh

al-Ustaadh Professor of Twitter

Gives us time to sell some of our own and build up a transfer kitty.

17. razörist

razörist Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

That does not sound like something Raul would care about.

yousif_arsenal likes this.
  18. NieThePiet

NieThePiet Loves Overhyping Our Rivals

Partey and Kante are completely two different types of player.

dashsnow17 likes this.
  19. Idiotologue

Idiotologue Well-Known Member

Signing Sangaré would be shrewd business, which is why we probably won't do it.

Amadou Diawara and Danilo Pereira have been mentioned as Partey alternatives. Both are proper holding midfielders, so if there's any legitimacy to those rumours we'll probably go that route if Partey pursuit proves unsuccessful. Looking at a double pivot with Partey or a single pivot with a new DM.

Sebastes and The_Playmaker like this.
  20. The_Playmaker

The_Playmaker Established Member

Not convinced by Diawara rumours. He's black and a holding mid, so he has been linked. He can't header at all. Isnt that good of a tackler, Sangare is ahead of him.