• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Thomas Partey

Do you think Partey will sign for Arsenal?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
We should be buying players the way we've always done: with money found down the back of Sir Chips' sofa.

Burt Gold

I do like Partey but I just don't see him as a 50 mil player. Which I know is difficult to say because our midfield has need a player like him with his power probably since Vieira, I'm just not wholey convinced he is as good as most are hoping he'd be.

For instance, to me Ndidi is a much better player. I would targer Rabiot for around 20-25 mil over Partey even.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

This summer poses a great opportunity to take advantage of a weak market filled with uncertainty to strengthen the team. I wouldn't be opposed to club acquiring some financing that is dedicated strictly to recruitment.
Looks dodgy as hell

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
I do like Partey but I just don't see him as a 50 mil player. Which I know is difficult to say because our midfield has need a player like him with his power probably since Vieira, I'm just not wholey convinced he is as good as most are hoping he'd be.

For instance, to me Ndidi is a much better player. I would targer Rabiot for around 20-25 mil over Partey even.
Partey is much more technically proficient than Ndidi. Also, £50m for Partey is standard procedure for a quality player in this market. Leicester would tell us Ndidi is not for sale unless we offer stupid money, maybe 65+. They simply don’t need to sell him.

Burt Gold

Partey is much more technically proficient than Ndidi. Also, £50m for Partey is standard procedure for a quality player in this market. Leicester would tell us Ndidi is not for sale unless we offer stupid money, maybe 65+. They simply don’t need to sell him.
For sure he is worth more and isn't for sale or in our price range if he was. I'm just saying that I don't expect Partey to have the type of impact Ndidi has at Leicester.

Partey is a good player but what is he great at?

If we do get him, I'd be happy I just have never seen him as a 50 mil player. As I said Rabiot is worth 25 and just as good if not better.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Looks dodgy as hell
We sold our soul and values once we sold to Kroenke. Raul's dodgy ways brought titles and 222m for one man in particular. I really do hope we capitalize on these uncertain times.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

Post-invincibles Wenger logic.

A player's value is whatever the highest bidding suitor is prepared to pay for them.

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
It's behind a paywall. What does it say? Is he good at football?
hmmm its not for me, I guess I will add it here

Pitch Coverage & Passing
Thomas operates as a defensive midfielder, though he can function as a central midfielder if called upon. He also has a few appearances under his belt playing as an attacking midfielder, and as a right-back. He is first and foremost a defensive player, more often than not, the last player behind the defensive line. However, that does not make him static in where he positions himself on the pitch, quite the opposite actually. Thomas is a player with incredibly high stamina, and that is evident in his action map for the season.

This action map can tell us a lot about Thomas and his positioning. The most obvious factor is that he occupies almost all of the pitch. Central midfielders tend to be the players on the pitch with the most movement as they do have the responsibility of contributing in both attack and defence. However, with both Atlético Madrid and Ghana, Thomas occupies the defensive midfield role. Essentially he plays a hybrid role of fulfilling both the duties of a defensive midfielder and a central midfielder. This is a very high risk, high reward style of play, but Thomas is skilled enough that he is able to pull it off well. In the times he doesn’t, he commits mistakes, but more on that later.

Another tidbit that can be read from the action map is what kind of actions he performs on the pitch. With predominantly yellow, green, and blue markers on the map, it shows that Thomas preforms long passes and short passes in these areas. Therefore, from the map, we can tell that his good pitch coverage leads him to be one of Atlético’s main ball carriers and progressors, and both the statistics and the eye test prove this.

Statistics
Statistically, Thomas has his Atlético midfielder teammates beat in almost every stat when it comes to passing. Based on these statistics, Thomas is always attempting to move forward with the ball, and this can be seen with his stat in forward passes per 90 (19.41). And although he has not registered any assists this season, he often tries to get the ball to his forward playing teammates, despite being a defensive midfielder, which can be seen when looking at his final third passes per 90 (10.91) and his progressive passes per 90 (10.46). The accuracy of his passes show that these pass contributions are not meaningless, and they do in fact lead to progressive play for Atlético Madrid (rather than the opposition winning back the possession), as Thomas has an overall 86.21% pass accuracy, with his progressive pass accuracy being at a high 82.86%.

Eye Test
The eye test just further proves the statistical data. Numerous times in matches Thomas will actually stop and look around and adjust himself accordingly. Not only does he cover the pitch so well, but he does also it smart, always ensuring that there is some benefit to where he is on the pitch. From there, he will often receive the ball, because he is in such a good position. Once he has the ball, he has a good view of what is going on, and he is able to make a decision. He can either progress the ball forward with a pass, or he can act as a ball carrier, and physically move it himself.

No matter what he decides, Thomas does get to decide the play that Atlético decide to make. He is more often than not the shot-caller, and despite being a defensive-minded midfielder, he is so crucial to the attack.

Thomas’ action map is so widely spread out because he is always aware of where he is, and where he can be most useful to his teammates. Although Atlético play in a compact 4-4-2 (more on that later), he does have the licence to roam, especially whilst his team is in possession because his passing ability is so distinguished and important to how his team plays.

Duels & Ball Retention
As mentioned, Thomas is a defensive-minded midfielder, and this is truly apparent when looking at how he performs in duels. He commits an average of 15 successful defensive actions per 90, winning 62.4% of his general defensive duels, 60.19% of his aerial duels, and 76.57% of his ground duels. He also commits a total of 4.82 interceptions per 90, on average.

These are really good statistics, but they are not the only reason as to why Thomas stands out as a defensive midfielder. When he commits to a duel, he makes it a priority to win the duel but to also keep the ball. Often times, statistics can be a bit skewed, because once the duel is won, some players mismanage the ball, and it ends right back with the opposition. Thomas’ ball retention after duels is something to note, as it is very difficult to get the ball off him once he wins the duel.

Error Proneness
We’ve discussed some of the many strengths that Thoams has as a player. A predominant weakness though is that his game sometimes does suffer from avoidable errors. This is not because of a lack of a certain quality that he does not have, but simply because he will make too quick of a decision. The way Atlético play also has a factor in this, because their counter-attack style is based on quick play to get the ball forward (again, more on that soon). Thomas, as do the rest of the Atleti players, finds himself playing these quick passes because of Simeone’s instruction to get up the field quickly before the other team can settle into a defensive shape.

Usually, these errors don’t result in goals for the opposition, simply because Atlético are either already too far up the field or they are still compact from their shape. However, if Thomas played for a more expansive team, say Arsenal, these errors may matter more.

They also take about difference in tactics between Arteta and Simeone and how Thomas will need to adapt to get used to our way of pressing.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
hmmm its not for me, I guess I will add it here

They also take about difference in tactics between Arteta and Simeone and how Thomas will need to adapt to get used to our way of pressing.

Interesting. The assumption has been that if he came here he'd be paired with Xhaka, and I understand that. Xhaka is still (unfortunately) our best passer from deep. I wonder though how Partey would do next to Guendouzi. It would be such a mobile pairing, they both have high stamina and cover a lot of ground. Could be very effective.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Screen-Shot-2020-05-18-at-11.51.45-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2020-05-18-at-11.52.37-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2020-05-18-at-11.49.13-PM.png
Screen-Shot-2020-05-18-at-11.54.25-PM.png

@dashsnow17 This was on the page too, interesting comparison of their strengths and weaknesses. Shows that on paper Torreira is the best partner balance wise, but the stats also show how limited Torreira is in terms of progressing the ball / playing the ball forward.

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
Screen-Shot-2020-05-18-at-11.51.45-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2020-05-18-at-11.52.37-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2020-05-18-at-11.49.13-PM.png
Screen-Shot-2020-05-18-at-11.54.25-PM.png

@dashsnow17 This was on the page too, interesting comparison of their strengths and weaknesses. Shows that on paper Torreira is the best partner balance wise, but the stats also show how limited Torreira is in terms of progressing the ball / playing the ball forward.
Shows how much of a DEFENSIVE midfielder Torreira is.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Shows how much of a DEFENSIVE midfielder Torreira is.
Yh if you think about it, Xhaka + Partey would be balanced in some ways but we'd be playing 2 CMs. Maybe thats what Arteta wants but neither are a DM thats for sure.

I'd be interested to see somebody like Ndidi's stats, many people have mentioned him but I feel like he'd be limited going forward.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Yh if you think about it, Xhaka + Partey would be balanced in some ways but we'd be playing 2 CMs. Maybe thats what Arteta wants but neither are a DM thats for sure.

I'd be interested to see somebody like Ndidi's stats, many people have mentioned him but I feel like he'd be limited going forward.
Ndidi is Coquelin on steroids. Fantastic ball-winner, amazing at it - doesn't do much else though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom