• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Thomas Partey: Midfield Tank Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

samshere

Why so serieuse?
I don't think its race that led to Partey being underpaid though. His midfield companions were Saul and Koke both home grown spanish players, they were obviously going to be paid more.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
I’m glad you said it because I really didn’t want to get into a commentary of race in football but unfortunately there’s a lot of truth in what you’re saying. I think black players are almost subconsciously or consciously rated as less intelligent or just dependent on their physical attributes. Pogba, Partey, Toure all have great technical ability but they’ll never be praised for their technique the same way Thiago, Kroos or Modric do. And in reverse a lot of non-black players do not get praised for their physical attributes too. A peak Modric had a very good burst and deceptively strong whereas Kroos has a good build and has good core strength.

This may be true (one of the clearest examples of this I remember is Song, who was praised for his physicality when he was really quite slow)--though Kroos is not a physically athletic player, Modric definitely had incredible burst, but this was always noted, tbh--to some extent, but race had absolutely nothing to do with Thomas. Atlético simply couldn't offer him higher wages and we could, being a more rich premier league club. Nor is there any foundation to the belief that Guardiola is somehow racist or Eto'o-Ibrahimovic swap had something to do with race (Eto'o was a brilliant striker, and in retrospect it was a poor piece of business, but Barça's thinking that Ibrahimovic, due to his technical ability and quality in associative play, was the ideal Barça striker, and Pep is ruthless in looking for upgrades, even when the margins are fine and the club is at the absolute peak of football--putting race into it is pure revisionist history and ex post facto reasoning).

I think people perhaps need to educate themselves a bit about wage structures here in Spain and also about how economically on the edge all of these clubs are at all times, even the biggest, especially now with our economy once again collapsing thanks to covid. Our clubs are constantly run with debts and economic imprudence that clubs in England would not conceive of having.

See my last post, some poor cherrypicking going on pointing to race here, with the amazing amount of players that have moved from Spain to England only to double, triple, cuadruple their salary, the great majority of them white.

Anyways, need look no further to the hardball Atléti played with us and how shocked and furious they are about losing him to see how much was their resolution to keep him. Fact is without their poor decisions in the market over the last few years, and without that dovetailing with covid to leave Atléti with no other option but to play the hard stance and hope no one bought Thomas off them, we wouldn't have gotten him.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Actually a bit worried about poor Lucas, Simeone will probably send back a beheaded Torreira.
Don't worry. We have insurance. Seriously, Simeone will either play him into a better player or make him Suarez's boot cleaner. Lucas has an possible exit in 12 weeks anyway.

GunnerShy

I’m glad you said it because I really didn’t want to get into a commentary of race in football but unfortunately there’s a lot of truth in what you’re saying. I think black players are almost subconsciously or consciously rated as less intelligent or just dependent on their physical attributes. Pogba, Partey, Toure all have great technical ability but they’ll never be praised for their technique the same way Thiago, Kroos or Modric do. And in reverse a lot of non-black players do not get praised for their physical attributes too. A peak Modric had a very good burst and deceptively strong whereas Kroos has a good build and has good core strength.
The point about technique and physique is bang on.

Prevalent in the English game too. They didn't review of English commentary recently and found the exact same thing.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ls-racial-bias-in-english-football-commentary

The thing with Thomas Partey is that he was somewhat of a late bloomer and has only shown himself to be world class over the last couple of seasons. From what I can gather, that's been more about taking a long time to find a role that suits his attributes. At times he's been a winger and a number 10.
It probably explains why people struggle to describe him. I think he's going to prove to be the midfielder United thought they were buying when they bought Pogba back. Maybe with a few less goals (but hopefully not!)

In any case, the relatively late development has led to a situation where, particularly pre Covid he was on a financial package with a buyout clause far below his true value. Sounds like subsequent offers from Atletico were probably lower than ours and he understandably thought "**** you. I'll go to a club that values me".

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity
2000/2001 season...think it was during the 1-1 game in Italy, Vieira would have killed him in a fight imo.
Was that not Sinisa Mihalovic (spelling)? He made certain noises to Vieira in the Lazio game. I remember that game cos i listened to it on the radio and Bobby equalised in the last minute.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Poor mans @BigPoppaPump entered the chat.

Yeah. He makes it sound like Partey is the ugliest man on the planet. I can only guess that this new member is a troll or a racist.

Partey has a special look, but he is is not ugly and has pretty handsome features actually.

partey-main.jpg

_114776631_gettyimages-1199582172.jpg

Partey-newest-two-scaled.jpg

0_Thomas-Partey.jpg

A bonus humour photo for everyone:

thomas-partey.jpg

giphy.gif

Troll party over, Thomas Partey on!

giphy.gif

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Honestly dunno, because of the way that whole thing ended. There were reports that Arteta spoke with him personally and tried to convince him of his plan, similar to Gabriel and I assume Partey.

For Auour to then come around and publically say that he'd rather stay at Lyon and from all accounts it sounding like the player rejected us as well makes me think Arteta's desire may have soured there.

We'll see anyway. But I wouldn't be surprised if Arteta's now looking for an alternative.
There were rumours of interest from PSG and Madrid so Aouar probably wants to keep his options open and stay in familiar territory to make the French squad. I hope we are looking for a creative midfielder and trying again in January.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Grimandi is easily one of the dirtiest players to have played for us.

Grimandi on Simeone

Grimandi elbow on Pep

Not letting a Sp**s player score during Bergkamp's testimonial was pretty good from him.

Wasn't a bad back-up/squad player tbf, too bad he is one of the worst ever scouts in football history though.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
Was that not Sinisa Mihalovic (spelling)? He made certain noises to Vieira in the Lazio game. I remember that game cos i listened to it on the radio and Bobby equalised in the last minute.
Pires scored a great goal. Was that not his first one for us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom