• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Thomas Vermaelen (Out)

leo_ense

Established Member

marv3llous

Re: Thomas Vermaelen?

There's also a link to Per going to Wolfsburg.

I think its simply journos making stuff up according to how we perform. Our back four + GK have had bad times recently so 4 out of 5 have been linked with moves away. Sagna to PSG, Per to Wolfsburg, Verm to Barca? and Szczesny simply losing his spot or being sold.

Speaking about Vermaelen specifically, first i want him to lose captaincy and starting spot. In the current squad i would rather Arteta has it, or even Per if Jack isnt ready yet. He has been the most anonymous captain we have ever had. Even Gallas was better. He doesnt deserve it.

And in addition to that i wouldnt hesistate for a second if a bid upwards from £10m comes in for him. He is easily replaceable in his current form. Good left footed CBs available also - Nkoulou, Ogbonna.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member

This is one season I'd be happy to see our captain sold for a decent fee. A captain should be one of our best players leading by example and organising the defense. Vermaelen is 1 of our worst regulars this season.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard

Vermaelen is our best defender, I dont know how people judging him.

evoh_1

Established Member

Verms was more vocal as a non captain then he has been with the armband, he has also ****ed up repeatedly when others around are looking at him to lead and guide the defence. I would be looking to sell him but only if we get an other that allows us to add in some cash, he just singed a new deal last year as did kos and per so I can't see us selling just yet.

Maybe he needs a wake up call and the captaincy removed from him to see how he responds, if he steps up his game and improves his own way then fine if he goes gallas and acts even more like a **** then ship him out.

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Kos is a better defender than Vermaelen

Vermaelen is a good CB but he's not the best CB at the club and if people really want Wenger to buy a WC CB then Vermaelen needs to be sold, you can't leave your captain on the bench for too many games and taking the armband off him will have a very negative effect on the player so if we want a WC player to partner Koscielny next season then Vermaelen has to be sold

Kos, ? , Mertesacker, Miquel/DJ is possible - Kos, ? , Vermaelen, Mertesacker is not a possible scenario

kofigunner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I keep wondering how TV would do as DM, kind of like a Petit conversion. In theory he has most of the attributes one would want, pace, a willingness to tackle, strength, aerial ability, a decent pass, a good shot if he comes forward, etc. The question would be his positional awareness, but I think it's something worth exploring.

Wouterus

I don't like the idea of Vermaelen as a DM at all, but I suppose it can't hurt to try it in a pre-season friendly.

Vermaelen seems like a good guy, hard worker, and he's also not as bad as some people claim. I don't think he has to be sold if he could accept that he won't be captain anymore and might be on the bench more often.

kofigunner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Wouterus said:
I don't like the idea of Vermaelen as a DM at all, but I suppose it can't hurt to try it in a pre-season friendly.

Vermaelen seems like a good guy, hard worker, and he's also not as bad as some people claim. I don't think he has to be sold if he could accept that he won't be captain anymore and might be on the bench more often.
Agree, he isn't all bad but I'm curious as to why you don't like the idea of him as a DM. Is it because you think he can't play that position or is it because you think we can't get better defenders? Or is it because you see him as a starting CB?

Wouterus

kofigunner said:
Agree, he isn't all bad but I'm curious as to why you don't like the idea of him as a DM. Is it because you think he can't play that position or is it because you think we can't get better defenders? Or is it because you see him as a starting CB?
I don't think Vermaelen is good enough as a DM (at least not to play there regularly). His passing is decent for a CB, but he often takes a long time to pick a pass and when he is under pressure he misplaces his passes too often. Defensive midfielders are under pressure a lot more than CBs (just look at Arteta at the moment). I don't think Vermaelen is composed enough for that role.

Perhaps my doubts about Vermaelen as a DM have to do with the fact that I prefer calm, tactically strong defensive midfielders (e.g. Xabi Alonso, Carrick, Busquets) to agressive, physical DMs (e.g. Mascherano, Tiote, Parker etc).

MDGoonah41

Established Member

hes been terrible this season in just about every capacity.

the question is, does this represent a deterioration of his skills, is he hiding some kind of injury/personal issue, is it the weight of the armband, or something else?

if you think hes better than this, then there is no need to sell unless you receive a big fee. if its the armband, he has to be willing to give it up. if he isn't, then i dont see how he can stay if you strip him of the captaincy.

a pairing of mertesacker/vermaelen doesn't work at all. i think one of them has to go this summer and a new first choice should come in to pair kos. the one who stays should obviously be 3rd choice.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer

Vermaelen needs to be the one shipped out as he's the captain. I'd kill his confidence and sour morale is he was stripped, yet he's not good enough to start and certainly not fit to be a captain.

Wouterus

If Wenger gives Vermaelen a good explanation of why he's stripped of captaincy I think he would accept that. He knows he hasn't been playing well, and if he could admit that it would be better for him to focus on his own game without all the responsibilities of a captain, he might become a good CB for us again.

GDeep™

League is very weak

He was struggling before he got the captaincy. I think Wenger has been very fair to him, stuck with him for a while despite his bad form but it seems the derby was the final straw, even though I think Per and Monreal were as much to blame that day.

The DM talk is abit pie in the sky? When has he ever played there? He couldn't cut it at CB or LB so I wouldn't hold my breath, let's go and sign a quality established DM type. Also, in that position, in our system, your passing must be nothing short of sharp and brilliant.

evoh_1

Established Member

Verms was all over the palce in the derby like he has been all season, its like he is playing football in his own world going man on man with however is on the ball. He has been majorly at fault for a lot of our poor defending this year if not individually than through the fact taht as captain he is looked on by the defence in particular as the leader of the line. In that he has failed miserably as has been apparent from his poor positioning since he came here, it just seems to have got worse this year while he has failed to put up 10+ goals like in previous year to gloss over.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless

Would like him to be sold, I used to like the idea of him staying as he was an okay CB and a more than able LB but as we now no longer need cover at LB it is time to assess Vermaelens role here. Sold please as he's far too rash.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Vermaelen to Barcelona for £15M would be brilliant business.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless

Stylistically Vermaelen is somewhat similar to Puyol just nowhere near as talented. Doubt that they want him though.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

They're in for him or Agger apparently, can definitely see it happening.

Latest posts

Top Bottom