• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Thomas Vermaelen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kraig

Established Member
back to tommy v and pikes guys

you know... on topic

pike-fishing.jpg

i still find it unnerving that we appear to have another player who is very media friendly. in that he is eager to tell everyone what is going on all the time. anyone else concerned by that or is it just me?

tam1886

Established Member
I reckon it's a combination of him being hounded by the media wanting to know and him being excited about it. Yet another promising young Dutchman leaving for a bigger club again. I may be wrong but it's the impression I'm getting.

Kraig

Established Member
as i say, i may be reading into it too much. but we seem to have ALOT of media friendly players

DREVAK

Established Member
Hmm, I would put it down to you following Arsenal more closely than other teams. Thus you only see Arsenal players fraternizing with the media that much, or at least it seems that way. It's a global game, and both the press and the footballers know it's in their best interest to talk to each other. Then there's the fact that it's an important Ajax player going to what is one of the big clubs in Europe, so the attention was always going to be there.

Kraig said:
you got yourself a deal there klaus

*goes to google images to find the most RANDOM animal he can find*
Go for an axolotl.

patrick42uk

Established Member
I really like the way Vermaelen speaks about Arsenal in that interview. Theres a lot of things to like about this signing. The boy himself is obviously keen to come here, he's young, plays in a position we'v had issues in, has qualities we lack at the back both technically and mentally. Even the price we paid I feel is reasonable especially if its true that its in staggered payments or performance related. I really applaud Wenger and his team for this signing. Of course, all signings come with a risk. It would be too easy to say 'told you so' if he flops but I cant help but be impressed by the thought behind this signing.

Lord Dula

Established Member
tam1886 said:
I reckon it's a combination of him being hounded by the media wanting to know and him being excited about it. Yet another promising young Dutchman leaving for a bigger club again. I may be wrong but it's the impression I'm getting.

fort 'e was a Belguimder?

Paddy from Sweden

patrick42uk said:
I really like the way Vermaelen speaks about Arsenal in that interview. Theres a lot of things to like about this signing. The boy himself is obviously keen to come here, he's young, plays in a position we'v had issues in, has qualities we lack at the back both technically and mentally. Even the price we paid I feel is reasonable especially if its true that its in staggered payments or performance related. I really applaud Wenger and his team for this signing. Of course, all signings come with a risk. It would be too easy to say 'told you so' if he flops but I cant help but be impressed by the thought behind this signing.

Where have you read/heard this?

tam1886

Established Member
Lord Dula said:
tam1886 said:

fort 'e was a Belguimder?
You fort right. My mistake.

Kraig

Established Member
atmosphere said:
Soooo...

Bets on when Vermaelen will be announced on Arsenal.com?

I reckon Monday 11am.

if hes having his medical and is signing today then i think later this evening. im gonna angle for about 6pm. like we did with ramsey and head.

patrick42uk

Established Member
Paddy from Sweden said:
patrick42uk said:

Where have you read/heard this?

I dont have a source I can direct you to but i remember it being reported as 'up to 10 million'

qs

Established Member
I'm looking forward to seeing him in pre-season so we can get a real feel of what he's about. As with all transfers I think its important that we give him a fair chance too, it does take time for defenders to bed into a team, especially centre halves. Even Vidic and Skrtel had dodgy starts in the EPL.

Kenyonhater

Don't worry QS, you can be sure that everyone on here will be patient with him, will not judge him too quickly and will give him their full support as he attempts to adapt to a new country and culture and the pace and intensity of the Premier League.

ricky1985

Established Member
This really made me laugh, from the lobby.

Wokky said:
Just to ease the minds of those who are concerned about his height, I performed some in-depth analysis on photographic evidence, and have concluded that he's definitely taller than the 5'11" which has been mentioned:

vermaelenheight.jpg

lagos

Established Member
:lol:

The prosecution would like an opportunity to cross examine (discredit) the expert witness Mr Wokky.

1. Mr Wokky is obviously adept in the use of photoshop as evidenced by his "Nike" and "Fly emirates" implants shown above
2. On the basis on this flagrant manipulation of photographic evidence, I urge the jury to disregard and discredit the testimony of the witness
3. If you are not convinced by my arguments, I urge you to consider and deliberate on his name for a secong...."Mr Wokky"

In summary, I submit that the case is not proved and recommend that Mr Wokky be barred from practising as an expert witness

dave_rwr

Established Member
Haha, that picture is great.

Maybe some forum members here were around the Emirates today and can come back with some sort of word even if the final decision is not officially announced today.

ricky1985

Established Member
We've signed him. It's just been announced on Sky Sports News, and Arsenal.com.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/thomas-vermaelen-completes-move-to-arsenal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... to-arsenal</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thomas Vermaelen completes move to Arsenal
Arsenal Football Club is delighted to announce that Belgian international defender Thomas Vermaelen has joined the Gunners from Dutch Eredivisie side Ajax on a long-term contract for an undisclosed fee.

Vermaelen (23), who was the Ajax club captain last season, made his first team debut for the Dutch club at just 18, after playing at Youth level for Belgian side KFC Germinal Beerschot. During his 143 appearances with the Amsterdam side, Thomas, who is predominantly a central defender, gained experience in both the UEFA Cup and UEFA Champions League including two appearances against Arsenal in the 2005/06 Champions League Group Stages. He has made 21 appearances for Belgium, now being a regular in his country’s set-up since making his full international debut in March 2006.

During his time with Ajax, the club won the Dutch League Championship in 2003/04, with Vermaelen also winning the Dutch National Cup on two occasions (in 2006 and 2007) and the Dutch Super Cup twice (in 2006 and 2007).

Manager Arsène Wenger said: “Thomas is a great signing for Arsenal Football Club, and we are all delighted that he is joining us. Thomas is a solid performer with good experience of Champions League and UEFA Cup football and is also a regular with the Belgium national team.

Thomas is primarily a left-footed centre back, but he’s multi-functional and can also play at left back. He is strong technically with a positive winner’s attitude and I have no doubt his arrival will strengthen our team. Thomas Vermaelen will be a huge asset to Arsenal.”

After completing his move to the Gunners, Vermaelen said: “Firstly, I have to say that I’m sad to be leaving Ajax and I would just like to thank everyone for their help and friendship towards me over the past eight years.

“I’m just so happy to be joining Arsenal. This is a great Club with a world class manager, high quality players and a fantastic stadium. Everything is set up for Arsenal to be very successful for years to come and I joined this Club because I know Arsenal will be challenging for trophies.

“I have had a good taste of the Champions League during my time with Ajax and this is something I am looking forward to experiencing again with Arsenal. I’m also looking forward to playing in the English Premier League, which for me, is the best league in the world. Also, I just want to assure the Arsenal fans that I will give everything for this Club and I hope we can enjoy winning some trophies together next season.”

Thomas will join up with his new team-mates for pre-season training in early July.

patrick42uk

Established Member
Whixch means its on arse.com

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/thomas-vermaelen-completes-move-to-arsenal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... to-arsenal</a>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom