• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Toby Alderweireld

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Alderweireld's ceiling isn't high enough to play at a club like Arsenal, but he's pretty decent for clubs right below our level. And he's definitely not capable of playing at DM.

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
if he's anywhere near as good as verts, sure. even if not, i don't see the harm in this, it's not like we're lacking much quality in individual terms. we weren't going to bring a starting defender over what we have anyway, just someone versatile, wenger had the same idea last season anyway (re: vert). he's here to make up the numbers and cover for inevitable injuries, as long as he's willing to start from the bench and fight for his place.

hhoneestly tho, never seen him play. any scouts on here? kthx :)

Kroket

Trusty and Sensible
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.ad.nl/ad/nl/11264/TransferTalk/article/detail/3499084/2013/08/27/TT-Wordt-Rode-Duivel-nog-een-Blauwe-Arsenal-meldt-zich-voor-Alderweireld.dhtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.ad.nl/ad/nl/11264/TransferTa ... reld.dhtml</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That link says sources from Ajax have confirmed we've made an offer for Alderweireld. Apparently the asking price is around €7.5m, or £6.4m. AD Sportwereld usually have decent, reliable sources so there could very well be something going on there.

Sydney Gooner

Established Member
Kroket said:
http://www.ad.nl/ad/nl/11264/TransferTalk/article/detail/3499084/2013/08/27/TT-Wordt-Rode-Duivel-nog-een-Blauwe-Arsenal-meldt-zich-voor-Alderweireld.dhtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That link says sources from Ajax have confirmed we've made an offer for Alderweireld. Apparently the asking price is around €7.5m, or £6.4m. AD Sportwereld usually have decent, reliable sources so there could very well be something going on there.

101greatgoals running with it as well.

Source

thedon5

Apparently Atletico had a €4 m bid rejected, I can definitely see us trying to get him at around €6 m. Would be a good value signing. Can't expect Wenger to spend much more on a 4th choice CB.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Alderweireld can play as right back also? would be good signing for us a player who can play center back and fullback.

Kroket

Trusty and Sensible
He's physically strong and a good tackler, he'd certainly be our most imposing central defender if he came here. He's also a ball-playing defender, much like Vertonghen and Vermaelen before him. He prefers to play centrally but is usually deployed at right back for the Belgian NT, although I have no idea if he's any good there.

Unfortunately he has been prone to the odd tactical mistake or mental lapse, but at just 24 years of age chances are he'll develop that part of his game as he gets older and more experienced. He has all the physical and technical tools to be a top player and is versatile to boot, so for the quoted price he could turn out to be a bargain in my opinion. I don't think he'd immediately displace Koscielny or Mertesacker, but he'd be a much better back-up option than Djourou or Squilaci.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
ArsenesNO1Fan said:
Dutch Gooners, how good is he?

Not as good as Vertonghen or Vermaelen. Definitely a decent back-up, but wouldn't get into our first XI. His positioning isn't always as great and he used to be a bit naive in his defensive game but that seems to have improved. Wouldn't rate him as our level though.

Wouterus

Not a worldbeater, but for 7 million euros we'd have a good enough squad player who potentially could turn out great. Over the last two seasons he has developed from a lanky, shy kid into a strong, confident CB. In possession he is better than Mertesacker and Vermaelen. This could be a real asset for us because Per and Sagna next to each other is sometimes painful to watch.

As pointed out by Kroket and DD he isn't absolutely rock solid defensively, but then which CB is these days? Hummels, Ramos, Terry, Luiz, Pique and the like are guilty of multiple errors over the course of a season as well.

Aside from all that, how can a CB with the initials TA fail at Arsenal?

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Kroket said:
He's physically strong and a good tackler, he'd certainly be our most imposing central defender if he came here. He's also a ball-playing defender, much like Vertonghen and Vermaelen before him. He prefers to play centrally but is usually deployed at right back for the Belgian NT, although I have no idea if he's any good there.

Unfortunately he has been prone to the odd tactical mistake or mental lapse, but at just 24 years of age chances are he'll develop that part of his game as he gets older and more experienced. He has all the physical and technical tools to be a top player and is versatile to boot, so for the quoted price he could turn out to be a bargain in my opinion. I don't think he'd immediately displace Koscielny or Mertesacker, but he'd be a much better back-up option than Djourou or Squilaci.

Also plays right back, that sounds like the versatility Wenger has been talking about. I remember reading up about him either last summer of Jan, as we were linked with him then. Looks like a good squad option to me.

say yes

forum master baiter
Marquis said:
From a Belgian journo...

Sven Claes ‏@svenclaes

Arsenal heeft zich niet gemeld bij Ajax voor Alderweireld. Onzin. - Arsenal haven't contacted Ajax for Alderweireld. Nonsense.

Surprise surprise :lol:

I can't wait to find out who we're not going to sign next.

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
we wont sign any defender this season
Vermaelen is back, Kos is fine, Sagna is doing well as a CB
Wenger will just sign Flamini and make him cover RB. LB and CDM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom