• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Tomáš Rosický (Out)

DK Gooner

Re: Rosický off?

He's not finished by any means. He was out injured for nearly 2 years and put the effort in to make a comeback. He is not too far away from the level we expect from him, so let's cut the guy some slack. He wasn't great against Barca, but did we truly expect him to perform week in week out last season and particualrly against one of the best teams in Europe near the end of the season?

We need squad depth and Rosicky provides experience that we all clamour for when its not there. He is more effective on a more consistent basis than Denilson, Diaby, Eboue and Nasri when playing as part of a CM three, so why don't we dispense with one of them 1st? If he is so susceptible to future injury, why don't we also get rid of Djourou and RVP as well?

If players are good enough, they'll get opportunities on merit, Wilshere included. He has had a good pre-season looking sharp and we need players who can contribute at any point during the season. We have no idea how Wilshere will fare over the course of his first full season and it would be unfair and unwise to heap more pressure on because we lack alternatives. Let's see how he does this season and then judge. I extend the same sentiments to Diaby, Denilson, Eboue and Nasri as well.

P_Gunner

I see a lot of people talking about us needing one player or another for experience - but when has Rosicky's experience ever helped us? I'm not trying to bash him, its an honest question. Many times while watching us play you would figure Rosicky was one of the inexperienced players on the team.

This question can also be stretched to many of our older squad members.

In actuality, just because your older doesn't mean you provide useful experience.

Rocafella

Established Member

Bite their hand off for £5mill and put that money straight in to the Özil pot. He won't cost more than £10mill I'd say with a year left on his contract and I would happily swap one for the other. Although this is Wenger we're talking about, so we know it won't happen.

outlaw_member

Established Member

DK Gooner said:
He's not finished by any means. He was out injured for nearly 2 years and put the effort in to make a comeback. He is not too far away from the level we expect from him, so let's cut the guy some slack. He wasn't great against Barca, but did we truly expect him to perform week in week out last season and particualrly against one of the best teams in Europe near the end of the season?

We need squad depth and Rosicky provides experience that we all clamour for when its not there. He is more effective on a more consistent basis than Denilson, Diaby, Eboue and Nasri when playing as part of a CM three, so why don't we dispense with one of them 1st? If he is so susceptible to future injury, why don't we also get rid of Djourou and RVP as well?

If players are good enough, they'll get opportunities on merit, Wilshere included. He has had a good pre-season looking sharp and we need players who can contribute at any point during the season. We have no idea how Wilshere will fare over the course of his first full season and it would be unfair and unwise to heap more pressure on because we lack alternatives. Let's see how he does this season and then judge. I extend the same sentiments to Diaby, Denilson, Eboue and Nasri as well.

When push comes to shove, Wenger doesn't seem to trust Rosicky as part of the midfield trio. The entire issue with him is that he is almost always deployed as a wide player where he is completely ineffective. He's like Eboue in a way, he can become a key part of the squad if he was perpetually used in his natural position. However, I'd rather he was discarded, if he's going to constantly be used elsewhere to the teams detriment.

outlaw_member

Established Member

P_Gunner said:
I see a lot of people talking about us needing one player or another for experience - but when has Rosicky's experience ever helped us? I'm not trying to bash him, its an honest question. Many times while watching us play you would figure Rosicky was one of the inexperienced players on the team.

In actuality, just because your older doesn't mean you provide useful experience.

Many players are misrepresented as experienced, simply because of their old age.

It's funny you say that, because I too think that Rosicky occasionally comes off as naive, when he habitually attempts to execute actions which often end up being beyond his capacity.

outlaw_member

Established Member

cloista said:
Yet in preseason he's played exclusively in the middle...

That doesn't really say anything. Nasri has also been exclusive to the middle, but in all probability, he'll spend 90% of the season everywhere other than central midfield.

Invincible

Established Member

outlaw_member said:
P_Gunner said:

Many players are misrepresented as experienced, simply because of their old age.

It's funny you say that, because I too think that Rosicky occasionally comes off as naive, when he habitually attempts to execute actions which often end up being beyond his capacity.
This is so true. Fabregas has more experience than Rosicky and he's 7 years younger than him.

qs

Established Member

Armor for Sleep said:
Based on what... performances for Bolton?

If Bolton owned a player who'd been that good at that age last season everyone here would be desperate to sign him.

qs

Established Member

Invincible said:
outlaw_member said:
P_Gunner said:

This is so true. Fabregas has more experience than Rosicky and he's 7 years younger than him.

I couldn't agree more with these posts, and ye aren't people I often agree with. :wink:

Biggus

Established Member

P_Gunner said:

Well ideally it should P_G, but you've actually raised a very good point.
Possibly because of his injury record, in all his time here only once or twice have I seen him take a game by the scruff of the neck and change it's course.
This is something that we should expect from our senior players regularly, Gallas to his credit used to do it before he decided to just go through the motions, and we don't have any other players in central game changing positions of the right age and experience.

Fabregas can obviously do it too and is getting more consistent, but I'm not really counting on him for anything this season for obvious reasons.

DK Gooner

Biggus said:
P_Gunner said:

Well ideally it should P_G, but you've actually raised a very good point.
Possibly because of his injury record, in all his time here only once or twice have I seen him take a game by the scruff of the neck and change it's course.
This is something that we should expect from our senior players regularly, Gallas to his credit used to do it before he decided to just go through the motions, and we don't have any other players in central game changing positions of the right age and experience.

Fabregas can obviously do it too and is getting more consistent, but I'm not really counting on him for anything this season for obvious reasons.

I agree with P_Gunner that age doesn't necessarily equate to experience, but if sold, he is unlikely to be replaced with an external figure. Most people have suggested along the lines of an internal promotion such as Wilshere which would lead to a loss of PL experience in our 1st team. As someone mentioned earlier being able to call on Jack and Rosicky makes us stronger than only having Jack.

I like Rosicky as a player and though he has not lived up to what I hoped he could have been, particularly with his blistering outside the box shooting we witnessed before we signed him, I still think he has done enough injuries aside, to make a positive contribution to the team. He is a tidy player and after the switch fromm 4-4-2, where he was quite effective on the flank, he has impressed me more overall in the CM position than Denilson, Diaby, Nasri and Eboue on a more consistent basis. He is still a very useful squad option for us considering the number of games the we will have to play in all competitions. He may not take the game by the scruff of the neck, but I no longer expect it from him and at least 70% of our squad to boot as well.

TomasCR

Established Member

All Denilson, Song, Diaby, Fabregas and obviously Ramsey have a good chance to miss the first game of the season (which I think says a lot about how it's going to look like during the whole season) yet a lot of you actually want to sell one of the most experienced players at the club who is most likely willing to sit on the bench and step in when it's needed. Fair enough. Thought he has had quite a good pre-season too, never mind.

Biggus

Established Member

Hey Tomas! good to hear from you again, if anything would flush you out I knew this would.

TomasCR

Established Member

Have had a busy summer, hence no time to post more but this one really got me. There were times when people cried for a lack of squad players when we needed them badly; now it seems to be the other way around. I do agree that Rosicky didn't show anything special last season but you would have to be a fool to expect more after being out for like 20 months and since we actually gave him a full season to "get back", what would be the point of doing it if we decided to ship him out now?! It's no secret this is a do or die season for him as nobody waits forever but just let him show what he can do now being able to go throught the whole pre-season uninjured before you write him off once for all.

asajoseph

Established Member

He's been one of the brighter players this pre-season for me, even if he was pretty awful last year.

Shue

Established Member

I'd prefer to see him stay. I'm expecting him to impress this season.

Lukazan

Established Member

I highly doubt Rosicky is going anywhere. I think Wenger is giving him one more season. If he can't stay fit, or is as awful as he was last season, he'll probably be moved on next Summer.

eye4goal

Established Member

Unless we're buying a worldclass talent like Özil we should look to keep Rosicky. I feel he has been underated throughout his Arsenal career especially in 07/2008 when he was as good as Hleb and Cesc and then his injuries started. He is now a squad player and I think he can be to us what Giggs is for Man Utd

mo50

Established Member

I'm in favour of keeping Rosicky too. The chance of a replacement coming in are slim, and the more options available throughout the season the better we stand at winning.

Latest posts

Top Bottom