• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Top strikers in Arsenal history

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Henry, Bergkamp, Vieira, Adams, Seaman, Wright, O'Leary, Pires, Brady, aaaaand it's ****ing Ray Parlour! honestly though maybe Rocastle, maybe Rice I dunno.

I wonder where Fabregas would be on the all time list.
It's a list of top ten strikers not best overall all time player

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Tbf, I've not seen ten top striker for arsenal in my life time. I put anelka and and Wrighty there because of their record.

Surely you can't put Laca and Giroud over any of them?

As for Eduardo, I admit we didn't get to see what he could because of the injury, but I'll have him over Giroud any day.

Sanchez when deployed as a CF was world class there. So yes, I think we can all agree that Sanchez played as forward, he did far better than Giroud or Laca. I don't think Laca or Giroud will ever have a 20 PL goal season never mind 25 goals.

Lacazette has only had one OK season. he hasn't even scored 20 goals for us in a season.

The reason I didn't list ten players was that the tenth player I had in mind, Arshavin, I could really put him there. Though I like him. I just felt he didn't done enough

It's your top 10, so you can choose who you please. However, over looking our player of the year in Lacazette because he hasn't score 20 league goals in favour of Eduardo who never scored 10 is a little crazy. Eduardo actually played quite a bit from the left hand side as well.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Van Persie is nowhere near Bergkamp despite also being a fantastic player, legacy helps define a player and Dennis' is on a whole other level to Robin's.

It isn't all Van Persie's fault, Robin didn't play in as many great teams as Dennis, but even then Bergkamp is called God for a reason.

Van Persie and Anelka would be close, probably 60/40 either way, both top strikers at their best...what I will say though, is what you see first as a kid makes a bigger impact on you, it's all about that sweet nostalgia ;)

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
It's your top 10, so you can choose who you please. However, over looking our player of the year in Lacazette because he hasn't score 20 league goals in favour of Eduardo who never scored 10 is a little crazy. Eduardo actually played quite a bit from the left hand side as well.
He was injured. If he wasn't injured that guy would have reached RVP's level at the very least.

2 years ago Lingard was one of Utd's player of the season nominee. But we all know he's trash.

I'm sorry if it felt like I was knocking others for their opinion.

But I still maintain that based on what I saw of Eduardo, he was better than Giroud and Lacazette.

Lacazette winning that POTS award means nothing. It's a fans award. I don't really take fans award seriously.

It's like when Özil was winning 7 consecutive German player of the year award. Or when Salah the puskas 2 years ago.

truth_hurts

Funnily enough, bar his finishing, which was quality, I didn't think Eduardo was that special. Rated Adebayor and Van Rapist much higher.

I do think we would have won the league if he didn't get that horrific injury, but more than his injury happened on that infamous day in Birmingham.

truth_hurts

Lacazette is probably underrated. As clearly as it is that Auba is the better between the 2, Laca does better against our rivals. He's scored against all of the traditional big 6.

Juan Matas Beard

Pronouns: dat, guy 🫶
Trusted ⭐

Van Nistelrooy is my most hated/respected forward from an opponent.

When I first became an Arsenal fan, especially the 01/02 and 02/03 seasons, the rivalry we had with United was everything to me...whenever they played, first it was did they lose, second it was did Ruud score...I wanted Arsenal to win the league, plus I wanted Henry to be top scorer so badly...what a time it was!

As I wrestling fan, at the time I used to associate Thierry with The Rock and Horseface with Triple H :lol:

Interesting to see this perspective. Was the reverse for me. No United fan will find this easy to admit but in terms of natural ability Henry always was much better but Ruud did a damn good job to get in the same range of scoring. Fantastic record in Europe too.

You can see the rivalry with Arsenal and Henry really got to him, it was evident that it meant a lot to him when he scored against Arsenal too. Elite mentality.

Paul Scholes said:
If Thierry Henry had scored he wouldn't talk to anybody for the full trip home because he was so engrossed in being the leading goalscorer, not just at United but in the league, in the world, everywhere."

Rio Ferdinand said:
Ruud van Nistelrooy used to come in the changing room after a game, trust me, we’re trying to win the league, we’ve beat someone 3-1 or 4-1, he’s scored one goal,

he’ll come in and look up to the TV [shake his head] and go ‘ohh’.

‘He sits down, [we ask] ‘Ruud, are you alright, what’s wrong?’. And he’ll reply, ‘nothing, nothing’. ‘Then someone will go, ‘Thierry has scored two today, Ruud has only scored one, so he’s a goal behind now.’ And he’s sitting there devastated, and you can see it.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Van Persie is nowhere near Bergkamp despite also being a fantastic player, legacy helps define a player and Dennis' is on a whole other level to Robin's.

It isn't all Van Persie's fault, Robin didn't play in as many great teams as Dennis, but even then Bergkamp is called God for a reason.

Van Persie and Anelka would be close, probably 60/40 either way, both top strikers at their best...what I will say though, is what you see first as a kid makes a bigger impact on you, it's all about that sweet nostalgia ;)
I can only assume that you never watched Anelka in his peak. It's the only logical explanation. After Luis Ronaldo, he was probably the most gifted striker around.
Legacy, yeah but that's only because Van Persie was injured majority of his career and surrounded by **** players but is still an all time leading scorer here, while won Utd the title nearly on his own and is Netherlands record goal scorer while captained them to a World Cup semi final. He's scored multiple times against every big club we've ever faced and his highlight reel of goals is a thing of beauty. His final season performance here was one of the greatest individual performances in Arsenal's history in the worst Atsenal squad in living memory and it was the most crucial top 4 finish that really made it feel like a trophy given the state of affairs.

I'm no stats guy but his impact and statistics not just goal wise given how often he was injured is crazy.

dridinho

Legacy, yeah but that's only because Van Persie was injured majority of his career and surrounded by **** players but is still an all time leading scorer here, while won Utd the title nearly on his own and is Netherlands record goal scorer while captained them to a World Cup semi final. He's scored multiple times against every big club we've ever faced and his highlight reel of goals is a thing of beauty. His final season performance here was one of the greatest individual performances in Arsenal's history in the worst Atsenal squad in living memory and it was the most crucial top 4 finish that really made it feel like a trophy given the state of affairs.

I'm no stats guy but his impact and statistics not just goal wise given how often he was injured is crazy.

I believe that van persie is so underrated by our fans. He was a complete forward with an outstanding technical abilities and an exceptional football brain. Had RVP stayed fit and played 5 full seasons with us from 06/07 to 11/12, He would have added at least 2 golden boots to the 2 that he already had, at least +45 pl goals to his PL tally which will make him the third Pl top scorer ever and our second top scorer ever. The majority doesn't really release how good that guy was.

GeorgiaGunner

#FreeClaude
Interesting to see this perspective. Was the reverse for me. No United fan will find this easy to admit but in terms of natural ability Henry always was much better but Ruud did a damn good job to get in the same range of scoring. Fantastic record in Europe too.

You can see the rivalry with Arsenal and Henry really got to him, it was evident that it meant a lot to him when he scored against Arsenal too. Elite mentality.
I don't think you'd find too many (sane) United fans who'd have Ruud over Henry. Ruud was certainly immense (one of the best finishers around), but Henry was on another planet during the early 2000s.

GDeep™

League is very weak

Don’t think I have seen a more deadly finisher for Utd. Had a love/hate thing with Ruud, loved him because I was bit of a Dutch fanboy but hated him because he always scored for Utd.

Great finisher, strong, quick, good feet, guy was a machine.

All that said, in my mind and the mind of most Arsenal or football fans, there was never an Henry vs RvN debate, gap was just too big. I simply don’t even put them on the same level never mind try to even compare them.

Juan Matas Beard

Pronouns: dat, guy 🫶
Trusted ⭐

Don’t think I have seen a more deadly finisher for Utd. Had a love/hate thing with Ruud, loved him because I was bit of a Dutch fanboy but hated him because he always scored for Utd.

Great finisher, strong, quick, good feet, guy was a machine.

All that said, in my mind and the mind of most Arsenal or football fans, there was never an Henry vs RvN debate, gap was just too big. I simply don’t even put them on the same level never mind try to even compare them.

It's a rivalry that Ruud put in his own mind (Tyson Fury-esque :lol:) knowing full well the ability Henry had (as you can see from Scholes and Rio's comments in the OP) and the United fans bought into it. Goalscoring was the only attribute where he could possibly compete with Thierry.

Quite simply, he just wanted to outscore Henry, I think that was the only facet of Ruud's game of how he could be acknowledged as beating Henry if he won, especially at a time when both clubs were the best in England - that's another layer in why most United fans won't find it easy to admit, despite it being true that Henry was on another level. In some ways similar to Ronaldo vs Messi.

Last edited:
Top Bottom