• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Toure v Upson

Would you rather have Upson or Toure?

• K'lo the magnificent

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Mathew Upson

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mini

kNiteMare said:
:eek: w00t!! I am the only one who vote for upson

anyway, it is kinda sypathy vote i guess, but he is better than toure in the air aint he? You guys are all gunning for upson when he isnt that bad... he's just never given the chance, hell, even cygan was higher in the pecking order.

It's true that he has never had a fair chance, but I doubt that he's better in the air, Kolo can jump as high as people's shoulder's nearly unaided

satan_beckham

The Mini said:
ExiledInNewcastle said:
Mini - would you care to rationalise that comment ...

What? the Englannd Part... Cuducini is about to become a British Citizen and an England International. The latter because he has never played for Italy, so he qualifies. If Kolo had never played for the Ivory Coast then in a few years he would qualify as a British Citizen and England International

thought cudicini got called up b4 last year if i am not wrong,and i think he did play in the friendly

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
Satan - got a feeling friendlies don't actually count. I think it's from when you play a 'competitive' match.

Mini - I didn't mean that bit, I meant selling Upson costing us the title! Plain daft.

As for who's better, well if Upson had ever had the bottle to perform as Kolo has this season on the various occassions he had a chance, he'd never have been sold.

Anders Limpar

Upson was a firm favourite of mine for years, Wenger decided to let him him go without giving him a proper chance so I can understand why he left...

...loyalty must go both ways, why should he throw his career away at Arsenal when he can play in the EPL as well as for England??

Kolo is getting there, have had a very impressing year so far but I can't vote against Mathew, simply can't...

...could he return like Keown did perhaps? I only hope...

Stim

Upson played what, 12 games during the double season, and still couldn't cement a place. Kolo plays a few games and has it cemented and already a fan favourite. No doubts from me - Kolo Toure.

SydneyGunnerFan

yes i think kolo is better because he is a strong player at the back his heart is with the club and when he makes a mistake he is always chasing after the ball hoping to get it off them but if he doesnt he will make it up on the next play that happens

kNiteMare

ExiledInNewcastle said:
As for who's better, well if Upson had ever had the bottle to perform as Kolo has this season on the various occassions he had a chance, he'd never have been sold.

I dunno about performance wise since i dun get to watch every game, but apparently upson is still pretty good when he was playing for arsenal.

Just wondering, if upson wasnt hindered by injury during the time when he was given a chance in the first team, would he still hold his place now?? would kolo get a place if keown is not injured at the beginning? would kolo still gets a place if he is injured and come back?

Or for example, Upson's career at arsenal was at the time when arsenal still had tony adams (-02), keown, and campbell (from 01). Where kolo now he is forced to play as there is not much back up (keown/ Senderos injured, cygan is lower pecking).

Dun know if any is able to follow my arguments, since i am not very good at writing down what i am thinking, but hope that you see what i am trying to point out. That just because luck is not favouring upson, it doesnt mean he is crap neccessary, look and he is playing for england now. Ok maybe he is not performing as well under pressure, but that comes from experience, which he was rarely given at arsenal.

And i am not supporting either way in particular, just think that the attitudes of some people is superifical (?better word?), just supporting one person when he is performing and casting him aside as **** after he leaves/ makes a mistake.

kNiteMare

and to further build up my point, what if kolo made a mistake in milan and coz us CL qualifications? would you guys just flame him and say that he cannot perform when it matters most? To say the truth, i do expect that from some of you.

A

Anonymous

Wenger did have faith in Upson.

Aston Villa at Highbury during our Double season.

Aston Villa were 2-0 up in the first half. In the second half, Wenger took off Upson for Keown. Upson, although quite a good player, was being outmuscled by Dion Dublin (of all people) who was getting vital flick-ons to the Villa forward players (watch their second goal).

After that game, Upson never had a sniff at the first team again.

He's good, but he's not that good.

Webdesignlab

Established Member
kNiteMare said:
and to further build up my point, what if kolo made a mistake in milan and coz us CL qualifications? would you guys just flame him and say that he cannot perform when it matters most? To say the truth, i do expect that from some of you.

Kolo is allowed to make a mistake, everyone does. The Upson isssue is always wheeled out by every manure and liverbore fan to prove Arsène Wenger is not a god, but Kolo proves he is. It shuts up that old boring argument.

I know he will not make a mistake on Tuesday. He's on fire.

Jasper

I think there were other reasons Ups was in Wenger's doghouse.
Ups is still not convincing at International levels.

K-Lo is way more versatile.
Right side, center back, winger, mid-fielder

nnn

To be fair, Kolo last night proved he is not just a better central defender then Upson, but that he is a better right back, we know he can attack better, and play in midfield better.

Kolo would also have catched Bergkamp on Saturday if he was on Brum, Bergkamp skinned Upson for pace and hes 10 years older, Upson made a rash challenge in the Denmark match, Kolo has made 3 challenges in the same position this season, and all have been perfect.

Kolo took the game by the scruf of the neck and dominated the right flank. I doubt wether Upson could play with half kolo's heart.

Upson might get Kolo in the air, but we have Sol for that, Kolo is literally twice the player Upson is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom