• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Transfer Deadline Day 2013/2014 Winter

Cruisio

Established Member
blaze_of_glory said:
Crusio: Ok so you are saying that if Wenger is unwilling to pay Shalke's valuation for Draxler then he should be going after someone else?

If that's the case then I see where you are coming from, as I also think we need an attacker. But I think its clear that Wenger only pays for players he think will improve the team (but won't overpay as we've established). So it then becomes a question of whether there is anyone available that would fit that requirement at a price Wenger is willing to pay.

Its kind of hard to see who that would be right now, at least for me. Theres just not many players who would actually improve Arsenal available in the middle of the season at a price that would be worth paying. Kallstrom is a loan so its not really an investment from the club i.e. not much cost there.

I do think Wenger is perhaps too stubborn in his valuation of players, but its got him this far and he usually ends up being justified in his decisions I'd say. There are many players that people have cried out for him to sign who, once they joined other teams, were shown to be pretty underwhelming.But then there are guys like Higuain who I think in hindsight it would have been worth spending on.

Basically I'd love for us to sign a forward but I just understand Wenger's reasoning for not doing so with the players linked to us this window. However I really do think we need to go all out in the summer. Much more likely to have success there as teams are much more willing to sell than in January.

Basically this.

There's no way in hell that a man of his experience and know how can't find a player who would improve our forward line. No matter who it is you'll have to pay over the odds (for the reasons I stated earlier) but it doesn't have to be in the 30m region, you may be forced to over pay for a player but in a far lower pay bracket than that.

Every player we've been linked with today has been in a loan, we know we have the money so why not bring in someone who he feels could make a difference now in the 15m region? They're out there and he's the man to find them and to be this close to the title to seemingly be happy with what he's got smacks of craziness

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
So today we tried to sign Papiss Cisse Klose and Kalou on loan and we failed. i don't think we are getting someone in but we are trying.

blaze_of_glory

Crusio: well if they actually are out there and he's not putting in the effort to get them then I agree thats not good enough. But I'm far from convinced thats the case.

I don't think Wenger wants to be stuck with players who end up as deadweight again, hence all these apparent loan bids. We've been through that and just recently rid ourselves of them. Hopefully he's waiting for a geniune talent to become truly available.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
still under 2 hours to go and we are trying to sign an attacker as its seems.

outlaw_member

Established Member
Cruisio said:
yousif_arsenal said:
If Draxler worth 37M and available this why Mourinho didn't spend that for draxler to replace Mata.

i think the manager think Draxler is still unproven and not worth 37M.

Let's put it in an (admittedly poor) analogy - I go to the shops and see something I feel I really want and really need and find out what price it is, I then go back home and say I need money to buy this thing I really want, I get how much it is. I don't then go back and try and haggle the price down if the money isn't mine :lol:

AntG's going to come out of retirement just to KO this.

Cruisio

Established Member
outlaw_member said:
Cruisio said:
yousif_arsenal said:
If Draxler worth 37M and available this why Mourinho didn't spend that for draxler to replace Mata.

i think the manager think Draxler is still unproven and not worth 37M.

Let's put it in an (admittedly poor) analogy - I go to the shops and see something I feel I really want and really need and find out what price it is, I then go back home and say I need money to buy this thing I really want, I get how much it is. I don't then go back and try and haggle the price down if the money isn't mine :lol:

AntG's going to come out of retirement just to KO this.

Wouldn't be the first time would it? :D

Like I said, I fully admit it's a poor analogy, but it's hopefully one that makes sense to most people.

@blaze - To suggest so would be to say we haven't known we were short in attack until quite recently. We tried loaning Ba in the summer, all our other attempts so far appear to have been loans, if that's the case then why wouldn't we just say f**k it and pay the money to get Berbatov or Klose (as an example) on a permanent deal? Neither of whom would cost a crazy amount of money and both would improve our squad options without hampering us long term

Loken

If only Shane Long hadn't moved to Hull, reckon he would have been half decent on loan, offering something different :lol:

blaze_of_glory

Cruisio said:
@blaze - To suggest so would be to say we haven't known we were short in attack until quite recently. We tried loaning Ba in the summer, all our other attempts so far appear to have been loans, if that's the case then why wouldn't we just say f**k it and pay the money to get Berbatov or Klose (as an example) on a permanent deal? Neither of whom would cost a crazy amount of money and both would improve our squad options without hampering us long term

I can only assume that he doesn't want to be stuck with those players for even a year as he thinks they are only worth it on loan. Only thing that makes sense to me. If not that then I really don't know.

I think he knows we are short in attack but wants to add a real top talent to address the situation long-term, but as with everything he will only do it his way, i.e. only according to his own valuation. Regarding Draxler, maybe he really feels he can get him cheaper in the summer (i don't know if that is likely or not) and doesn't see him contributing enough this season to justify spending the extra money...? We can agree or disagree with him on that but in the end its all up to him.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Loken said:
If only Shane Long hadn't moved to Hull, reckon he would have been half decent on loan, offering something different :lol:

Not sure, heard an Hull fan on Talksport complaining Long only has workrate.

Loken

GDeep said:
Loken said:

Not sure, heard an Hull fan on Talksport complaining Long only has workrate.

Yeah his record is awful. Heard a rumour about Eduardo back on loan, if only huh? He would accept it with open arms, as would I!

Cruisio

Established Member
That's just the thing though blaze, it is up to him, but he seemingly hasn't learnt from his past mistakes. In 08 we were one attacker away from probably winning that league, then Eduardo went down and it all went to pot (we could have brought in Anelka that year for around 15m, we relied on a very young Bentdner instead)

Not bringing in anyone to the forward line this season when we're so close seems almost negligent

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

blaze_of_glory said:
Cruisio said:

I can only assume that he doesn't want to be stuck with those players for even a year as he thinks they are only worth it on loan. Only thing that makes sense to me. If not that then I really don't know.

I think he knows we are short in attack but wants to add a real top talent to address the situation long-term, but as with everything he will only do it his way, i.e. only according to his own valuation. Regarding Draxler, maybe he really feels he can get him cheaper in the summer (i don't know if that is likely or not) and doesn't see him contributing enough this season to justify spending the extra money...? We can agree or disagree with him on that but in the end its all up to him.
fed up with long term thinking we have been neglecting the short term for so bloody long. Who cares if we have berbatovs wages for a season longer, for crying out loud we carried Almunias wages long enough, same for Denilson and Sebastian the great and numerous other players who contributed next to nothing. I'd happily carry an extra year or two wages of any player who gets us over the line., Bloody awful .

Latest posts+

Top Bottom