• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Tuncay Şanlı

Status
Not open for further replies.

asajoseph

Established Member
Sheesh, it must be true - we all know how reliable Turkish TV is! ;) How'd you hear about that one Soler?

I have to say, I think if we sign another attacking midfielder (either central or winger), it would confirm to me that either:

a) Someone else is leaving

or

b) 4-5-1 is going to be our formation of choice for the whole of next season, and we won't be signing a striker... Edit: Unless we sell someone, of course...

asajoseph

Established Member
Now, I don't normally watch much in the way of Turkish football, apart from the winter-break tournaments they play against German teams, and the odd snippet in one of the Turkish cafe's near my house if I'm there for a coffee, so all I really know of this player is what people have told me here. I'm also not normally easily swayed by Youtube videos (they show you the 5 highlights of a player's season, on repeat, and skip over all the **** they produce), but that that video Soler posted does make it look like he has everything - pace, strength (he just brushes people aside), good movement, nice control, and one hell of a shot... Looks good, but then, you don't get to see the lowlights as well...

Soler

Established Member
asajoseph said:
Sheesh, it must be true - we all know how reliable Turkish TV is! ;) How'd you hear about that one Soler?

One of my mates is Turkish and is a Fenerbahce fan. I got a text from him about it. He said that they would not have signed Erkin if Tuncay wasn't leaving, as by all accounts they're practically the same player.

He said that if it were to happen it'll involve Sol going there as apart of the deal.

asajoseph said:
I have to say, I think if we sign another attacking midfielder (either central or winger), it would confirm to me that either:

a) Someone else is leaving

or

b) 4-5-1 is going to be our formation of choice for the whole of next season, and we won't be signing a striker... Edit: Unless we sell someone, of course...

If it happened:

------------------- Gilberto ------------
- Hleb --- Fabregas -- Rosicky -- Tuncay -
-------------------- Henry --------------

As far as I know Tuncay can play as either an AM right across the middle, or as a support striker. He plays as the #10 behind Anelka for Fenerbahce. In that formation Cesc would drop back and play a bit deeper, allowing Rosicky, Tuncay and Hleb - as well as the full-backs - to bomb forward in support of The Great One.

If Sol is apart of the deal then we would have to sign another CB. We can't go into the season with Toure, Senderos and Djourou. Tuncay would have to be the last attacking signing of the summer; there'd just be no room for anymore AM's or another striker otherwise.

patrick42uk

Established Member
its a very strange situation we are in. we know that we need a dmc/cm of real quality. and we know we might need a defender. but in terms of the attacking positions, everyone is amost anticipating the signing of another wide player/forward even though it creates a degree of uncertainty over those currently in those positions. the suspence is killing me and to think the summer just begun.

anyway, tuncay is a player i rate ever since the confeds from a couple of years ago. seen him in the cl recently too where he looks more mature more responsible and more confident in terms of what he does with the ball. maybe its time for a move. although i remain very skeptical about the validity of this story.

asajoseph

Established Member
I was especially impressed by how he seemed good at scoring pretty much every kind of goal - Henry-esque side footers from the top-left corner of the box, screamers from outside the box, headers, and running onto through-balls... More impressed with that Youtube than Ribery's, I gotta say, although Ribery of course plays in a better league, and I'm still ill, so might be delusional...

Anyway, I suspect it won't be long before one of our Turkish members either confirms or denies these reports - have to wonder though, if Wenger wants Tuncay, why would the deal depend on Sol leaving? Of course, it would be good if we come to a mutual agreement involving both players, but if Wenger wants Sanli, surely we get him and peddle Sol off elsewhere?

The_Prince007

I hope if Wenger do sign him, he puts him into the Dennis Bergkamp role, because we would really have too many Att.Midfielders: Hleb, Fab, Rosicky, Tuncay!!
Freddie's playing time will be limited this year plus we still have Walcott and Merida and Vela coming.....
Oh god i'm having a headache.... :(
We need Reo-Coker and Curtis Davies. That's all! :)

A

Anonymous

if wenger brings tuncay for 10.3million with campbell going the other way i will actually jump of a cliff .

Campbell is as much needed players as anyone , he offers great defensive cover and can still be a top defender. as well why would we go for tuncay when ribery is there for the taking

Soler

Established Member
asajoseph said:
Anyway, I suspect it won't be long before one of our Turkish members either confirms or denies these reports - have to wonder though, if Wenger wants Tuncay, why would the deal depend on Sol leaving? Of course, it would be good if we come to a mutual agreement involving both players, but if Wenger wants Sanli, surely we get him and peddle Sol off elsewhere?

Because Tuncay is their best player, and they won't part with him easily IMO. They'd want at least 10m for him (the figure quoted on Turkish TV) but I reckon to get him cheaper we could offer Sol as part of the deal. Sol is all but leaving and Fenerbahce were/are interested. Then a week later on Turkish TV there are stories of how we are bidding for their best player - it just makes sense. Of course if we really do want Tuncay we could just out-right buy him.

If we sign Tuncay he will definitely improve the team. He is a prolific goal scorer in the Turkish league (having looked it up he scored 19 goals in 03/04) and has knocked in more than a few in the Champions League, in what is a pretty poor team at the higher level. He's only 24-years-old as well.

patrick42uk

Established Member
tuncay or ribery, i'm not too fussy. i know it might seem a case of 'grass is greener on the other side' but i am hoping that we see another wide player come in to ensure reyes doesnt get playing time on the wing.

ribery and tuncay are mentally strong players too so maybe wenger has learnt a lesson there. charlie nicholas (usually chats rubbish) made an interesting point about reyes pre-cl final. he said he went down so easily because of a fear of responsibility. its almost like, 'oh my god i'v beat this player so i might have to do something decisive'. winning a foul takes away that dilemma from him.

pyschology lesson done for today.

Thommybhoy

Established Member
I think that Tuncay is good player I saw him play against Milan and for Turkey against Switzerland when he scored hattrick. I remember also him playing again I think ManU when they won 3-0. He scored at least one great goal. But I think it was also. Yup he did: hattrick. http://kotisivu.mtv3.fi/viihdemedia/ucl05.htm

But I really don't want us to sell anybody anymore (especially Campell, cause of his experience; we have a lot of younsters remember :) ), except maybe Cygan, cause I think that we will need as many players possible if we want to compete chelski and win Premier league.

qs

Established Member
The_Prince007 said:
I hope if Wenger do sign him, he puts him into the Dennis Bergkamp role, because we would really have too many Att.Midfielders: Hleb, Fab, Rosicky, Tuncay!!
Freddie's playing time will be limited this year plus we still have Walcott and Merida and Vela coming.....
Oh god i'm having a headache.... :(
We need Reo-Coker and Curtis Davies. That's all! :)

We can easily accomodate 4 attacking midfielders, especially when most of them can play on the wings aswell.

Incase no ones noticed our only proper winger now is Freddie, Reyes is still being split in 2, but even with him as a winger we need loads of cover.

I'm 90% sure Wenger sees Theo as a striker in the Henry mould.

I dont want to see Sol leave but if thats what it takes to get the players Wenger wants in so be it. We'll just have to sign Davies or someone aswell.

Whenever we havent had Fab this season we've lacked creativity in the midfield. Without Bobby leaving Rosicky was a good start to fixing that problem. With Bobby gone we need someone else. We need options and the ability to rest players. Thats what we lacked this year and its why we eneded up 4th. You look at Chelsea and their 2 players for every position thing. Thats what we are now competing with. We need a big squad.

With regard to the formation, this could be anyones guess?

Assuming this were true, the favourites to get 'reduced playing time' in my opinion would be Ljungberg and Reyes.

asajoseph

Established Member
TalentScout said:
if wenger brings tuncay for 10.3million with campbell going the other way i will actually jump of a cliff .

Campbell is as much needed players as anyone , he offers great defensive cover and can still be a top defender. as well why would
we go for tuncay when ribery is there for the taking

a) Campbell has been crap in 90% of the games he's played for us this season. He's been unprofessional, and let the club and many of the fans down with his behaviour.

b) Campbell thinks he's a first team player. He's not good enough to be a first teamer any more. Are we supposed to lie to him to keep him?

c) Except Ribery really isn't there for the taking, is he. He'll cost at least twice as much as Tuncay, and quite a few other clubs are in for him.

gstew

asajoseph said:
Now, I don't normally watch much in the way of Turkish football, apart from the winter-break tournaments they play against German teams, and the odd snippet in one of the Turkish cafe's near my house if I'm there for a coffee, so all I really know of this player is what people have told me here. I'm also not normally easily swayed by Youtube videos (they show you the 5 highlights of a player's season, on repeat, and skip over all the s**t they produce), but that that video Soler posted does make it look like he has everything - pace, strength (he just brushes people aside), good movement, nice control, and one hell of a shot... Looks good, but then, you don't get to see the lowlights as well...
Saw him play for Turkey about four times in the last few years. He was a player that always stood out as dangerous and I agree that he did show all attributes necessary. But he always seemed to me be an out-and-out striker (but facing the goal more than back-to-goal target man). I would not associate him with a midfield role like Hleb, Rosicky or Cesc. Those three are not really scorers, whereas Tuncay looks to go at the goal. I have never seen him play for Fener, only the national team. Does he really play midfield for his club? If so, that really surprises me.

Soler

Established Member
asajoseph said:
c) Except Ribery really isn't there for the taking, is he. He'll cost at least twice as much as Tuncay, and quite a few other clubs are in for him.

Really good point Asa.

It would be advantageous to say that we are the only confirmed team to be interested in Tuncay. Ribery is wanted by Lyon, Man United, Sp**s, Arsenal and at least a few more. Arsène never gets in bidding wars, we all know that.

Interestingly enough - they played against each other when Ribery was at Galatsaray.

qs

Established Member
asajoseph said:
TalentScout said:

Campbell is as much needed players as anyone , he offers great defensive cover and can still be a top defender. as well why would
we go for tuncay when ribery is there for the taking

a) Campbell has been crap in 90% of the games he's played for us this season. He's been unprofessional, and let the club and many of the fans down with his behaviour.

b) Campbell thinks he's a first team player. He's not good enough to be a first teamer any more. Are we supposed to lie to him to keep him?

All true, especially the Ribery part. When was the last team we beat the half of Europe to sign someone so coveted? Not Wengers style at all.

Another thing jsut occured to me. Do we really want to pay Sol his extravegant wages to be back up. Doesnt make much sense at all.

A

Anonymous

a) personally he hasn't let me down , and he proved that in the semi final and champions league final and was good through out 1st part of season.i dont think you can gett to many better 2nd choice defenders around? and thats what you need if your to compete for tittles.

b)whats wrong with thinking your a 1st teamer? this is good because hes ver competative , i wouldnt want someone happy to be 2nd choice and perform averagly in training. There comes a time when sol will realise he isn't 1st choice but i dont think thats time yet.

c)isn't in for the taking? ribery dont want to be at marsielle next season, all it needs is a lucrative offer from wenger to lure him, yes there are many clubs but we are one of the biggest clubs in europe now, WE must expect to attractive players of this calibure now , were no longer a average size european team.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Hehe just weeks ago i was namedropping this fellow as a Ribery substitute. he would come in handy both in a 4-5-1 and 4-4-2 IMO. This gives us alotta options for sure, now I am only waiting on a class CM to arrive. And yes this makes the 4-5-1 seem very likely with Rosicky playing almost the dennis role from CM. But talkin numbers this way is quite pointless i don't care what we call it if it is the old vavawoom. With our historia of vavawoom our 4-5-1 should be more described as a 4-1-3-1-1 or something. Soon we will be like the Galacticos just putting players out on the pitch and let e'm solve it :)

qs

Established Member
Soler said:
asajoseph said:

Really good point Asa.

It would be advantageous to say that we are the only confirmed team to be interested in Tuncay. Ribery is wanted by Lyon, Man United, Sp**s, Arsenal and at least a few more. Arsène never gets in bidding wars, we all know that.

Interestingly enough - they played against each other when Ribery was at Galatsaray.

Id expect Sp**s to be linked to Tuncay mid next week. Im pretty sure their "scouts" just watch out for who we're liked to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

What is unbelievable is that I am in a position where people reproach me for making a profit. The people who lose money – nobody says a word.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom