TV & Film

Discussion in 'The Dump' started by Gervais, Jan 9, 2016.

1. carlito'sway

carlito'sway French League Conneseur

By then, Fox Searchlight had paid some public-relations experts to work with him and prepare him for the interviews, since they knew those questions would come. The guy just decided to be a jerk instead not showing any empathy.

2. Xhaka Zulu

Xhaka Zulu Well-Known Member

Yeah he didn't seem prepared at all, just flat out refused to answer those questions.

3. Deathstroke

Deathstroke The Terminator

Yes. I liked the story and the acting, especially Gil Birmingham's dignified performance, but the film wasn't memorable enough for me.

Loved the way the opening scene was shot. Such fluid cinematography.

The writer (Taylor Sheridan) is the same guy who wrote 'Sicario'.

carlito'sway likes this.
  4. Deathstroke

Do you guys like films by Jeff Nichols and David Gordon Green? For instance, Take Shelter, Mud, Midnight Express, Snow Angels, Undertow, Joe...

5. carlito'sway

Unless there is a different Midnight Express, it was by Alan parker. :)

Deathstroke likes this.
  6. Deathstroke

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. I meant Midnight Special.

carlito'sway likes this.
  7. Deathstroke

One final recommendation for you who love dark films...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4991384/

It's an Indian Tamil language film called Interrogation ('Visaaranai'), about 4 out-of-state workers who are wrongly arrested and tortured by police. The film dealt with the theme of how the system screws everyone irrespective of whether you're just a common man or someone well-connected.

The sound design and the performances will make you squirm. Perhaps the highest praise one could give is that none of them seem to be acting.

It was one of the films that made me numb after watching, and too devastated to speak to anyone for the rest of the day.

P.S. - This was India's entry for the 2017 Academy Awards.

Xhaka Zulu and carlito'sway like this.
  8. carlito'sway

Man, you are really big on Asian movies. Are you living in SEA?

9. Deathstroke

GG.jpg

10. Deathstroke

I watch a lot of films. No discrimination. ;)

carlito'sway likes this.
  11. rich 1990

rich 1990 AM's Grouchy Grandpa

Think some of you watch too much TV. It melts your brain.

12. 4R5Emaniac

4R5Emaniac Always fresh from Bangladesh

@Carlo Marx @OG J0E Done with Iron Fist today. By the end of it its kind of good. Not on the level of Daredevil imo at all tho. No depth and not the most interesting characters but good entertainment still. Gonna watch Luke Cage as well after I'm done with Boardwalk Empire S2 and Bloodline.

By the way, any of you seen Into the Badlands? Reads interesting to me.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    Carlo Marx likes this.
  13. SuperGoon

SuperGoon Has 2nd Best Avatars on AM

Luke Cage is alright. The first half is much better than the second half, I feel. It just sort of drops half way in when
    The villain changes. I felt Cottonmouth was a much stronger antagonist than Stryker, and Stryker just felt so forced.

I haven't watched Iron Fist, and by most accounts I don't want to. I tend to let tv shows build up before I subscribe to netflix for a month. Then I just completely binge every night. Saves a lot of money, lol.

4R5Emaniac likes this.
  14. 4R5Emaniac

4R5Emaniac Always fresh from Bangladesh

I might not watch LC then. If the best villain is called Cottonmouth.

15. SuperGoon

Well, he hates the name as much as you can imagine :p

4R5Emaniac likes this.
  16. Xhaka Zulu

Xhaka Zulu Well-Known Member

Loved Take Shelter and Mud. Midnight Express not so much. Felt it re-used a lot of ideas of other movies and didn't have a real story, it left almost everything up to the viewer.

Deathstroke likes this.
  17. OG J0E

OG J0E Well-Known Member

Agree with this completely. The show ends up feeling very bloated, like Jessica Jones just with higher overall quality. Daredevil's been the only Marvel Netflix show so far that isn't like this.

18. SuperGoon

You see, I'm completely the opposite about JJ. I feel the first half of JJ was so slow and dull, while as it gets longer it definitely improves in quality of story telling.

I watched a 30 second clip of the combat in Iron Fist. It's pretty hilarious editing.

19. Furious

Furious Mr. Believer; still mad

Absolute poverty show. So, so bad I only kept watching it in pure disgusting of the terrible acting and writing. It's so slow.

After a while I treated it as comedy and kept thinking "could this get worse?" In which the show's answer was "**** yes!" Not to mention the amount of time they say the words "Luke Cage", it's hideous. It's as if the answer to just about everything is indeed Luke Cage - especially by that kunthoe Mariah, listening to hear is cancerous.

Cottonmouth was hilarious though, and agree with you Supergoon on Stryker, an absolute joker and a very forced vilian. Shades has to be the most irrelevant character I've ever seen.

Not watching any of those other Marvel shows either, watched 1 or 2 episodes of Daredevil, and it was just as slow and terrible. Waste of time.

@4R5Emaniac I would only recommend Luke Cage if you want a great laugh on how terrible TV can be. If you want a good show, and if you haven't watched it yet, then I'd recommend Oz. Only started watching it recently and it's very good up until now, I'm in season 3. Most of the The Wire crew is there, a few from Dexter and Sopranos too. An older show than those. Try it out.

20. grange

grange Well-Known Member

Iron Fist is getting horrid reviews so I'm not even bothering. Luke Cage started off pretty good, imo, and then it just went pure cringe 2nd half of the season. Kinda wish the stinger missile that blew the one restaurant up hit my place instead after sitting through all of that!

SuperGoon, Furious and 4R5Emaniac like this.