• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

UCL | Arsenal v Basel | 28th of September at 19:45 (GMT)

What will the result be for the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

I notice a few around here keep saying Xhaka looks "cautious" or that he's "not quite up to speed"...can someone tell me what he's supposed to be like when he's "ready" or "up to speed"?

He's basically taken his form at the Euros and transplanted it into an Arsenal shirt, he's been excellent to good for us every time he's stepped on the pitch (not counting the Liverpool game).

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

We've seen a steady increase in the quality of our performances recently, finally we started our season. I don't know why, but I doubt this is just a purple patch, we don't seem to be overly lucky but force our "luck" by performing up to the required standard.
Just a few things, based on the last month:
  • Our midfield works.
  • Our defense works.
  • Our attack works.
  • We're unpredictable.
  • We're performing well right from kick off.
  • Our new signings looks very good so far.
  • Players are stepping up.
IF we go through November unscathed, I'll be starting to get my hopes up.

@Gooner Zig Austrian has already shown more analysis than Stevie Nichol has all year .

amirkat

Established Member
IMO - Alexis didn't "miss" a whole lot of chances - their keeper made some saves where on another day, the ball just goes in. It's really that simple.

You're completely right.

Keeper had a blinder. Can only remember one chance that Alexis could have done better - the Walcott cutback in the 2nd half.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

You're completely right.

Keeper had a blinder. Can only remember one chance that Alexis could have done better - the Walcott cutback in the 2nd half.

Yep that was the one he should have scored. There were two big chances in the first half where you just have to take your hat off to their keeper Vaclik for some big saves.

- The dink where only the quick reaction of the arm saves a certain goal, and
- Alexis' left footed shot across goal which was kept out by Vaclik's outstretched foot

Two world class stops on another day, they're goals.

carlito'sway

Established Member
Yep that was the one he should have scored. There were two big chances in the first half where you just have to take your hat off to their keeper Vaclik for some big saves.

- The dink where only the quick reaction of the arm saves a certain goal, and
- Alexis' left footed shot across goal which was kept out by Vaclik's outstretched foot

Two world class stops on another day, they're goals.

Alexis was not a happy camper at the final whistle, he knew he should have scored last night. The keeper made some top saves but he missed a couple of open chances as well, the one from the Walcott pass comes to mind, that was a poor miss. Hoping that he will redeem himself vs Burnley. Actually, I am sure that will happen!

Chami

Alexis was not a happy camper at the final whistle, he knew he should have scored last night. The keeper made some top saves but he missed a couple of open chances as well, the one from the Walcott pass comes to mind, that was a poor miss. Hoping that he will redeem himself vs Burnley. Actually, I am sure that will happen!

I actually want to him to come of the bench against Burnley. Especially since he won't have a international break.

raag

I was at the stadium last night. Mustafi was playing right in front of me the entire first half. I'm really impressed. He's intimidating in terms of size and deceptively quick. His decision making is lightning fast. The one where he won the ball back in the opponents half, he was on the Basel player before he even received the ball. He backs himself and wins most of his duels.

Most importantly though, him and Kos seem to have a complementary partnership and they understand each other pretty well. Very impressed.

carlito'sway

Established Member
I was at the stadium last night. Mustafi was playing right in front of me the entire first half. I'm really impressed. He's intimidating in terms of size and deceptively quick. His decision making is lightning fast. The one where he won the ball back in the opponents half, he was on the Basel player before he even received the ball. He backs himself and wins most of his duels.

Most importantly though, him and Kos seem to have a complementary partnership and they understand each other pretty well. Very impressed.

He seems bigger/stronger than Kos, do you agree with that? He is deceptively quick as well . Arsène can finally plays a high line with these two. Hard to beat them for pace.

James Bond

Moderation Consultant
Can anyone find a gif the buildup of the 1-2 that Theo and Bellerin played on the counter that set up the wonderful chance for Sanchez? :drool::drool::drool:

Jumped off my couch at the time wishing he put that away. Would have been one hell of a team goal/counter.

raag

He seems bigger/stronger than Kos, do you agree with that? He is deceptively quick as well . Arsène can finally plays a high line with these two. Hard to beat them for pace.

He's bigger for sure. Not sure about the stronger bit just yet. Kos is skinny but he knows how to use his body very well to shield off opposition.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

@Gooner Zig Austrian has already shown more analysis than Stevie Nichol has all year .

Like you said mate - he's the epitome of lazy sports journalism. Talks in cliches and general-isms.

Can't believe people like him get paid top dollar to spout bollocks that anyone off the street could.

El Granit-Coq

Established Member
I notice a few around here keep saying Xhaka looks "cautious" or that he's "not quite up to speed"...can someone tell me what he's supposed to be like when he's "ready" or "up to speed"?

He's basically taken his form at the Euros and transplanted it into an Arsenal shirt, he's been excellent to good for us every time he's stepped on the pitch (not counting the Liverpool game).

Its just AM hipster talk. Don't pay too much attention to it at times :p

Token Yank

You are right but I think it is more to do with the changes in personnel and set up. We have added a pacy and quick footed striker to head the attack. The pressing game and ball winning from the opponents half is amazing. The runs into space from the front 3 is amazing. Arsenal is playing to its strenght. The defence is quick and committed. The midfield is very comfortable on the ball and aggressive enough in a tactical set up. We are controlling games today and our possession is very FLUID.

Bring Giroud to head the attack and we lose all the above and have to play to his strenght. Crosses into the box from wide and less use of space and runners into the box.

The onus is for Arsène to define how we play with Giroud. We cannot play thesame with Giroud as we do with Alexis. It will not work and it is why we have been frustrating and inconsistent in the past. Both players have different qualities and whoever is a focal point of the attack greatly impacts on how we play.
I agree with you but didn't want to bring it up. I like Giroud but think he is best served as a super sub.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

It's amazing what having a CB who can run and a CF who can run has done to our game.

I like Per a lot but it's been obvious for two seasons now how his lack of pace was a hindrance to the way we play. Playing that high line now with Kos and Mustafi has been a godsend for our midfield as we don't have to cover anywhere near as much space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom