• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

UEFA Champions League 2015/2016

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
English teams will be **** in CL next season.Arsenal,Leicester,Sp**s and Man City lol.Can't be worse than that and they're already in big problems in Europe in last 3-4 years.Hope that Bayern will do something more next year.That fraud Pep just ruined them in last three years.

General

Established Member
His performance yesterday made Theo's OT embarrassment look positively Messi-esque - he did nowt yesterday. Couldn't believe it & still they ran Real close and probably should have won. Greizmann seemed to disappear after he missed the PK.
Yeah they are a team that operates on the whole being greater than the sum of the parts but after the first 15mins you could see they were a bit disjointed. They've come a long way and I can't knock them as they dragged themselves back into contention where many teams would've folded but they were undermined by some of their key players, Torres being the chief culprit. Another false dawn at Real too. They've had a relatively easier route and tip toed their way into winners

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
Many good performances but if there's a standout it has to be Carrasco, game changed completely when he was subbed on, scored a goal and made life hell for Real's back four in general.

I remember when he was at Monaco people likened him to Ox, seems like ages ago. Another Genk youth product btw, they had a hell of a generation coming through with him, de Bruyne, Courtois, Benteke and Koulibaly.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
Playing Barca and Bayern eventually took its toll. You deserve to win the competition when you get past these two. Losing the toss and having to take the penalties in front of the Madrid fans wasn't a good omen. Despite getting back in the game I thought it was a bit of an off colour performance from Atletico and they were unusually wide open at times. With better finishing Real would have been home and dry in the first half. Atletico are punching way above their weight and it must be tough for Simeone having to pick himself and the team up and go again.

I'm sure he'll have a good hols and come back refreshed but you can see that at present he's distraught- his teams give everything but they didn't look as dangerous as I've seen in the past. Give credit to Real as they defended pretty darn well, even if they were off colour up front.

General

Established Member
English teams will be **** in CL next season.Arsenal,Leicester,Sp**s and Man City lol.Can't be worse than that and they're already in big problems in Europe in last 3-4 years.Hope that Bayern will do something more next year.That fraud Pep just ruined them in last three years.
I think the PL is far too tough on a squad of 25 these days without the added distraction of the CL. Juggling both competitions is now an impossibility and you have to sacrifice one for the other. February to April is when it really bites the English teams. To be honest with the money coming into the league now, CL is becoming less and less important apart from brand image.

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
Real is very silent winner of this CL.Really their season was poor at the start and a lot of people didn't think that they can win a CL.Similar to Chelsea in 2012.And i can't remember any other case in last 10 years.

4R5Emaniac

Always fresh from Bangladesh
Yeah, where was he????
I was thinking they could've done with a finisher like him coming on. The absolutely huge amount of openings they created despite Torres being utter **** would have been ideal for a striker like Vietto. I imagine he was injured or did not make the bench even. Carrasco made some impact, obviously and may be someone like Vietto would've relished an opportunity like that.

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
I think the PL is far too tough on a squad of 25 these days without the added distraction of the CL. Juggling both competitions is now an impossibility and you have to sacrifice one for the other. February to April is when it really bites the English teams. To be honest with the money coming into the league now, CL is becoming less and less important apart from brand image.

I can agree with that about money and brand,but it was a same situation with Englsih teams when they dominated in CL in that period from 2007 to 2011.The thing is that teams aren't good enough anymore and managers are not so great.Arsenal usually had problems in CL beacuse we can't play on result and that will always cost us against tough rivals.Chelsea,Man Utd and Liverpool at that times had better teams and managers.They tend to put effort in both,PL and CL.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
Vietto doesn't play a role under Simeone, doesn't have the stamina and mentality needed. Always seemed a bit brittle even at Villarreal although he's very talented of course

Simeone had an arguably even bigger talent on the bench in Correa but didn't want to use him either as he wanted someone to hold play up front in Torres, Griezmann and Correa are unable to do that. Think just before Carrasco scored Correa was about to come on, the 4th official showed Correa's number on the board.

redanddread

It's huge brand image though and amongst the players & managers alike they know that the CL is the holy grail of club football.

redanddread

Vietto doesn't play a role under Simeone, doesn't have the stamina and mentality needed. Always seemed a bit brittle even at Villarreal although he's very talented of course

Simeone had an arguably even bigger talent on the bench in Correa but didn't want to use him either as he wanted someone to hold play up front in Torres, Griezmann and Correa are unable to do that. Think just before Carrasco scored Correa was about to come on, the 4th official showed Correa's number on the board.
Torres couldn't have held up traffic yesterday. Surely, anything or anyone would have been better than "El nino".

General

Established Member
I can agree with that about money and brand,but it was a same situation with Englsih teams when they dominated in CL in that period from 2007 to 2011.The thing is that teams aren't good enough anymore and managers are not so great.Arsenal usually had problems in CL beacuse we can't play on result and that will always cost us against tough rivals.Chelsea,Man Utd and Liverpool at that times had better teams and managers.They tend to put effort in both,PL and CL.
It's a combination of factors why English teams aren't doing as well as they did in the past. United and Chelsea certainly aren't as good as they were when they dominated a few years ago but remember also that one of the worst Chelsea teams won it with Roberto Di Matteo and a poor City side made it to the semis this season. We've produced better teams than the one that made it to the final in 2006. I think Real, Barca and Bayern will always feature heavily in the closing stages because of the long running monopoly they hold in their leagues and the fact that overall the local competition is a little bit easier. I still find it strange how Real have emerged as eventual winners but it's the luck of the draw.

4R5Emaniac

Always fresh from Bangladesh
One of the reasons of English teams demise I think was the ageing of the Golden Generation. Pretty much during the same period with not much gap and they were hugely influential/powerful at their clubs.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
Torres couldn't have held up traffic yesterday. Surely, anything or anyone would have been better than "El nino".
Of course, I'm just saying this is probably what Simeone's reasoning was and Torres has had some great performances this season to be fair to him. Picked the worst game of course to have an absolute stinker in

eye4goal

Established Member
The PL also lost too many world-class players to La Liga in Cesc, Modric, Suarez, Bale, Macherano, Alonso, Ronaldo etc. The likes of Sp**s and Liverpool will do anything but sell to other English clubs.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Statically this was the 2nd easiest CL win. Mourinho's two wins also rank 1st and 3rd easiest.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Things will start to change when Messi and Ronaldo retire.

It doesn't help that most South Americans dream of playing for the Spanish big two. I feel like back in the day there were quality players all over Europe, now you seen concentrated in Spain.

That can't last for ever and I would love nothing more than for Real, Barca and Bayern to be brought down a peg. Need English and Italian football to rise again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom