UEFA Champions League 2017-18

Discussion in 'Football Talk' started by razörist, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Sapient Hawk

Sapient Hawk Part Time Optimist

What's to stop him from doing both? He could focus on setting up the defensive blueprint whilst hiring one of our old boys with a knack for exceptional play in the final third.

The most crucial thing though would be building from the back. What I'd give for a back five like the one Graham built :(
    Trilly and Polar Bear like this.
  2. celestis

celestis Arsenal-Mania Veteran Moderator

We have played like that many times before , also with Özil and Ramsey there . In fact that is how we play best .
  3. TriniGunner

TriniGunner Well-Known Member

I screamed for us to buy him when he was at Fulham.
  4. Malky

Malky Well-Known Member

Pretty sure it was because of his relationship with Wenger he left, apparently they're not on good terms anymore.
    People seem to overlook just how brilliant Szczesny was at Roma, he was keeping Alisson on the bench, a keeper alot of this forum is now wishlisting.
    It's a sad situation that we sold one of Europes best keepers because of a manager that we're now all desperate to get rid of 8 months later. :(
  5. KrissKringle

KrissKringle Well-Known Member

Alisson was signed in 2016 and was an understudy for Szczesny, so of course he kept him on the bench. Otherwise they wouldn't have prolonged the loan for another year.
    Apparently Roma is operating on a tight budget, which is why they trusted the brazilian and didn't pull out the money for our guy.
  6. al-Ustaadh

al-Ustaadh Professor of Twitter

One of our missing pieces in midfield.
  7. Jury

Jury Wenger Öut

It had to be personal between him and Wenger. It can be the only explanation
    Dokaka likes this.
  8. Malky

Malky Well-Known Member

Alisson was signed as competition, he was highly rated when he went to Roma, and Szczesny never put a foot wrong for them to drop him.
    Yes Roma had the option to buy but couldn't afford him and already had Alisson, so Juve paid the fee instead and now have him as Buffons successor.
    Strange that you're making comments on a player you admitted that you haven't watched much since he left us, but still think " he's a clown " :rolleyes:
  9. KrissKringle

KrissKringle Well-Known Member

Alisson wasn't signed as competition. He was signed as a successor, considering that Roma weren't going to spend the money on Szczesny.
    I replied to another comment after that and said that I'll wait to see how he fares after Buffon retires, but for us he was a clown with very erratic decision making and if that's changed over the past couple of years, then I tip my hat to him.
  10. pacstud

pacstud Well-Known Member

Szczesny has gained more plaudits here for doing nothing than almost any player I've seen.
  11. <<reed>>

12. Brown Gooner

Brown Gooner Well-Known Member

Hope to see this in the QF

Barcelona vs Real Madrid
    Bayern Munich vs A.S. Roma
    Juventus Turin vs Liverpool
    Manchester United vs Manchester City
  13. El Granit-Coq

El Granit-Coq Well-Known Member

Golden glove at such a young age... Tying with DDG.
  14. Rimaal

Rimaal Questionable Taste

Hoping for an upset, not betting on it.
    krengon likes this.
  15. Newchange

Newchange Active Member

Bayern v Juventus
    Liverpool v Roma
  16. Juan Matas Beard

Juan Matas Beard Friendly Mancunian facial hair

My boy starting with a fresh cut.

GeorgiaGunner, <<reed>> and Rimaal like this.
  17. Notorious Big

Notorious Big Well-Known Member

Don't want Bayern Juve.They played few times in recent seasons.
    GeorgiaGunner likes this.
  18. Vinci

Vinci Head of the Asano Yakuza Clan

19. GeorgiaGunner

GeorgiaGunner Closet United Fan

¡Vamos Sevilla!
  20. Jury

Jury Wenger Öut

Man Utd look like choking this. They can't get going at all. One goal for the Spaniards will blow this up.