• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

UEFA Champions League 2017-18

Brown Gooner

DoN'T ceNsOR maH FreE SpEecH
Real never won a title during Francos reign if I am not mistaken.
This is a joke right?

Franco’s reign started in 1939 after the Spanish Civil War and lasted until his death in the 70s.

In the meantime Real Madrid won multiple League titles, the first five European Cups and a few Spanish Cups as well.

@Batman - That analogy is apples to oranges.

God lord there are too many Real Madrid glory hunting apologists in this thread. :confused:

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

This is a joke right?

Franco’s reign started in 1939 after the Spanish Civil War and lasted until his death in the 70s.

In the meantime Real Madrid won multiple League titles, the first five European Cups and a few Spanish Cups as well.

God lord there are too many Real Madrid glory hunting apologists in this thread. :confused:

Indeed you are right , but they only won the title 1953 14 years into his reign hardly shows a Real bias .

Reactions: BBF

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
This is a joke right?

No, it really isn't. You said 2 wrongs don't make a right and then suggested that Oliver committing a 2nd wrong would have been right. Your supposed point was exposed for being illogical and hypocritical and now you're spinning your wheels calling people apologists for understanding how football works and not letting a bias against Madrid overshadow that. If being smart enough to recognize that referees always have a lower tolerance for physical play in the box than outside it makes me an apologist then I would rather own that label than be deluded as you are showing yourself to be.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
Anyway I’m done discussing this. The tradition of Barca/Real getting crucial officiating decisions in their favor continues. This has been happening for about a decade now. Hopefully this Spanish favoritism ends soon.

Yeah that's what bothers me about it, it's a pen, but if it happens exactly the same on the other side I'm convinced Oliver wouldn't dare give it, they keep catching breaks when they are in trouble . I don't think the refs are corrupt, but they always seem to subconsciously favour the elite teams, as if it's not hard enough to beat them already. Over the last few years you could point to plenty of questionable decisions that went Barca and Real's way(and Bayern too), but I can't think of a single incident off the top of my head where you could say they were robbed.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Yeah that's what bothers me about it, it's a pen, but if it happens exactly the same on the other side I'm convinced Oliver wouldn't dare give it, they keep catching breaks when they are in trouble . I don't think the refs are corrupt, but they always seem to subconsciously favour the elite teams, as if it's not hard enough to beat them already. Over the last few years you could point to plenty of questionable decisions that went Barca and Real's way(and Bayern too), but I can't think of a single incident off the top of my head where you could say they were robbed.
The lower teams in the Prem have been complaining about this for years, refs biased in favour of Man U, Chelsea and City in particular.

They should play Rag and Bone Man as they walk on the pitch. 'I'm only human after all put the blame on me.'

Gunners4life

Definitely Not RonaldoMadness
I'm still of the opinion it's never a penalty and the red card was unjustified.

And many agree with me including former referees

If we give that as a penalty may as well make football a completely none context sport then

pacstud

Should also be a factor that Real goes down as easily as Man Schitty and the ref had been somewhat good about ignoring their frail lower bodies.

The worst thing of all of this is that I don't think he scores. Foul was unnecessary.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Yes If the referee allows physicality for the entire duration of 90 minutes and allows the game to flow then making that call in stoppage time especially in the box is unfair. Had it been a leg breaking lunge/dangerous play then it’s different but in 50/50 decisions the referee must remain consistent.
That wasn't a 50/50 though. The defender was the wrong side of the attacker and impeded him, it's a definite foul. A good way to look at it is, if that was an Arsenal striker in that position, would you be calling for a penalty or not?

Brown Gooner

That wasn't a 50/50 though. The defender was the wrong side of the attacker and impeded him, it's a definite foul. A good way to look at it is, if that was an Arsenal striker in that position, would you be calling for a penalty or not?
Personally I don’t like teams winning big games through dubious penalties or offsides decisions. Even if it is Arsenal getting the calls in their favor.

IMO Decisive Penalties should be given in big games only when it is a very serious offense. For instance Suarez handball against Ghana.

IslingtonBornandbred

I don't know what's going on here because I haven't read through the pages and pages of comments about the penalty.

Basically. I wanted it to go to extra time. I wanted Juve to cause an upset.

But.

Vazquez was five yards out from goal, about to stick the ball in the net. In a desperate attempt to win the ball or/and disrupt Vasquez, Benatia shoved him in the back and then attempted to hook the ball away from the wrong side.

It was a penalty. The only debate is why Oliver and his team didn't send off Benatia either for DOGSO (denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity) or if he deemed it an "attempt" at winning the ball and being a careless foul using the new double jeopardy rule it should have been a penalty and a yellow which would have been Benatia's second yellow and followed by a red. It wasn't a soft penalty. It was a penalty. It's about perception and interpretation. If Benatia gets a big foot on the ball and knocks it 20 yards in the air, Oliver then has a decision to make, unfortunately for him he shoved Vazquez in the lower back to try and put him off and then tried to hook the ball away sticking his leg around Vazquez's body and under his armpit making further contact. That shove when it's unexpected is more than enough to knock Vazquez off balance, he's 5ft 6 and 70kg FFS, Benatia is 6ft 2 and around 20kg heavier than him...of course it's enough to knock him over.

Buffon's reaction was aggressive and very intense. Well over the top about what's allowed within the rules. Oliver could have got away with a yellow and that may have calmed Buffon down but if Buffon used direct abusive language/insults and with the aggression it can fall under a red card. Joe Hart made contact with Oliver in the past and got away with it. Oliver probably recognises he made an error with Hart. He doesn't have to make the same mistake twice.

The timing was unlucky. The context is irrelevant. The outcry about Buffon being sent off in his last UCL game is irrelevant. He shouldn't have reacted like that if he didn't want to risk getting send off.

The outcry from Juventus is ridiculous especially once everything has cooled off. What, have they never been on the end of a tough call or something? Tough luck.

Brown Gooner

Around the 1:05 minute mark they start showing slow motion replays of the incident and my god that was such a soft penalty!!

English referees are ****! Atkinson (who was the linesman in Wednesday’s game) didn’t give Man City a penalty for that Ashley Young studs showing red card challenge on Aguero in the box but this dumbfuck Oliver calls that a penalty at the most crucial moment of a huge CL KO game.

Looks like the Englishmen have set a wonderful precedent. From now on every time a defender even puts as much as a pinky finger on the attacker inside the box from behind it shall be a penalty, whereas a studs showing lunge from defenders on opponents legs is nothing at all.

If the above precedent becomes the norm then there will be regular tennis like scores in football and many forwards with broken bones and ligaments.

Juventus players and fans have every reason to be upset. Even if Arsenal were the beneficiaries of such a decision I would feel bad about qualifying in such a way.

Last edited:

IslingtonBornandbred

Around the 1:05 minute mark they start showing slow motion replays of the incident and my god that was such a soft penalty!!

English referees are ****! Atkinson didn’t give Man City a penalty for that Ashley Young studs showing red card challenge on Aguero in the box but this dumbfuck Oliver calls that a penalty at the most crucial moment of a HUGE CL KO game.

Looks like the Englishmen have set a wonderful precedent. From now on every time a defender even puts as much as a pinky finger on the attacker inside the box from behind it shall be a penalty, whereas a studs showing lunge from defenders on opponents legs is nothing at all.

If the above precedent becomes the norm then there will be regular tennis like scores in football and many attackers with broken bones and ligaments.

Juventus players and fans have every reason to be upset. Even if Arsenal were the beneficiaries of such a decision I would feel bad about qualifying in such a way.

Have a day off. Did you have a bet on or something and lost your pocket money?

It was a penalty. You can clearly see Vazquez's body being jolted forward by the push. It was a penalty.

Everything else you wrote about English referees is rubbish. Atkinson should have given a penalty for Young's challenge but that's irrelevant discussing this incident.

Reactions: BBF

Brown Gooner

Have a day off. Did you have a bet on or something and lost your pocket money?

It was a penalty. You can clearly see Vazquez's body being jolted forward by the push. It was a penalty.

Everything else you wrote about English referees is rubbish. Atkinson should have given a penalty for Young's challenge but that's irrelevant discussing this incident.

I am guessing you’re English so you defending a fellow Englishman wouldn’t surprise me much. However to most people it is very clear that Rnglish referees love being in the headlines and can be pretty vindictive at times. When fans boo them for certain calls, English refs take it personally and then make sure that all the decisions go against the team of the booing fans.

A penalty means a free shot at goal. When the referee points to the spot he basically seals the fate of the game. Giving a penalty in the dying minutes of a game most often than not decisively swings the match. Penalties should only be awarded when you have blatant 100% fouls in the box. Like the Pique penalty on Dzeko on Tuesday.

I really hate it when referees and not players decide such big games.

Also LOL at that tweet stressing on the words “in isolation.” Football is played for 90 minutes and the referees calls are supposed to be consistent in the game or at least in the same half of the game.

Honestly Ask yourself, if the shoe was on the other foot, would Juve have been awarded a late penalty against Real? How tf do Real players keep getting away with fouls and dives and no bookings!?

Last edited:
Top Bottom