• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

UEFA Champions League 2017-18

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
I thought he would apologize, but Buffon stands by his words.

Speaking via Sky Italia, he doubled down on his criticism of the referee, saying:

"I don't have to make up for anything, because I am a human being who puts passion, sentiment and anger into what I do. You find a way to speak, right or wrong, that at times can seem excessive... but this is me, I am Gigi Buffon.

"The other night the game had finished an hour and a half ago, so consequently what one expresses at that moment are sentiments and thoughts that are strong, in certain respects raw, but the sentiments of a man who won't hide behind a veil of hypocrisy and instead throws out what is bubbling in his guts. End of story.

"Right there, you cannot ask a man who lives sport as deeply as I do to be balanced, because even if I expressed these feelings in an exaggerated way, they were still logical thoughts. I'd say them all again. Maybe with a different type of language, one that was more civilised, let's say. But the content remains and I stand by all of it.

"Even if I was excessive, I said what I thought, that he should not have given that penalty. A referee with more experience would not have blown his whistle and decided not to become the protagonist of the match. He would've left it running, turned around and let the two teams fight it out in extra time. Let the pitch do the talking.

"I'm sure Oliver will have a great career in future, but he's too young to officiate a match like that. The beauty, the imponderable nature of football, means that unfortunately this young man found himself in a situation that was too complex, too garbled and too big for him to deal with.

"So at the end of the day, what I said after the match, I don't hold any rancour towards Oliver. I'm not even angry with him. It all ended there, but naturally in the heat of the moment one does feel I'm not saying penalised... I felt defrauded. Not defrauded of the result, but of the night. It was a night that can never be repeated."

Brown Gooner

DoN'T ceNsOR maH FreE SpEecH
Agree with Buffon, not because he’s a legend and I have immense respect for him but because he is right about letting the players decide the fate of the game.

I hate it when an iconic game between two strong teams is decided by the referee. Unless it is the worst possible offense, IMO the referee should keep the red card in his pocket and mustn’t point to the spot.

Maybe I’m a romanticist but that’s just me.

Brown Gooner

DoN'T ceNsOR maH FreE SpEecH

He’s right. The referee needs to look at the totality of the circumstances before making a decisive call. Many decisions in the first leg that were given were not in the second leg.

And then there is the issue of the officials (Oliver’s) consistency in the same match itself.

Truth is that English referees like Oliver, Dean, Clattenburg crave the spotlight. 50 years from now no one will remember an official who properly officiated a game. However, referees who make controversial decisions are remembered even after their deaths.

Case in point: Dienst and Bahramov

Aevi

Hale End FC
Buffon is wrong. It's not the referee's fault he had to make a decision, it's Benatia's for giving him a decision to make. And to try and discredit or lay blame on Oliver when he ****ing got the decision right is even more ridiculous.

I understood his reaction when it was in the heat of the moment, but the fact that he's doubling down on it in the aftermath is silly.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
In retrospect, maybe Oliver could have just given him a yellow for arguing and at least let him try to save the penalty.
As I said a few pages ago, Buffon probably had a better chance of saving the potential shot from Vasquez instead of a clumsy penalty made by Benatia.

elemoo

Liverpool to beat Roma tonight 3-1... if they play like they did against city - Roma are f**ked. Roma to get a late away goal. However play like they did against Barca (not likely, as they really had to go for it then) and score first... it's gonna be an interesting game bcos defensively Roma seem a lot more organised than Pool (and Barca haha!).

c00lguy

He’s right. The referee needs to look at the totality of the circumstances before making a decisive call. Many decisions in the first leg that were given were not in the second leg.

And then there is the issue of the officials (Oliver’s) consistency in the same match itself.

Truth is that English referees like Oliver, Dean, Clattenburg crave the spotlight. 50 years from now no one will remember an official who properly officiated a game. However, referees who make controversial decisions are remembered even after their deaths.

Case in point: Dienst and Bahramov

I disagree completely with what Buffon said, and I'm sure most professional referees too.
Every game, every half and every decision needs to be judged based on the incident in question alone. The referee who has the balls to make the correct decision at the correct time is the hallmark of a good referee, and that's what Oliver did during that game.

Top Bottom