• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

UEFA Champions League 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
Where is that fella who told me possession football is dominating world football :lol: this silver lining is once again I was right. Although that doesnt take away the pain of Liverpool and Sp**s being in a CL final. We are too fat behind.

Sp**s won last night having 60% of the ball.

Unlucks.

TriniGunner

Watching the Barca Liverpool game really hammered home how far we have fallen. That used to be us. We are now one of the most boring, uninspiring and error prone teams to watch. We rarely string more than 3 passes together without error. There is literally nothing attractive about us, not the football, not the ambition, boring manager, the players mean nothing to me.

Same here. I watched that Liverpool v Barcelona game and all I could think of was we used to be there, battling with Barcelona (even though we eventually get hammered). To be honest, it seems like a cloud of uncertainty and mediocrity is hanging over Arsenal Football Club from the top down and nothing more than an owner who loves football and the club rather his money would get us out of this stink. A fish rots from the head.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Sp**s won last night having 60% of the ball.

Unlucks.
Unlocks Furious.

Sp**s vs Ajax
51 and 60 vs 49 and 40

Sp**s vs Man City
35 and 41 vs 65 and 59

Sp**s vs Dortmund
36 and 53 vs 47 and 64

Average 45.83 vs 55.66

Good teams will have possession it is natural but more teams in major tournaments are getting by through dominating the ball less and being effective on the counter.

Real Madrid dominated Europe, France won the WC and now two teams have got through to the CL final having less possession. As such we would expect to dominate Cardiff at home and away but against better teams countering is a more effective tactic currently.

Malky

Established Member
This is the worst CL final ever. Pool Sp**s is a ****ing nightmare I'd never thought I'd see in my lifetime. If only it was possible for two teams to lose a final, but unfortunately I'll need to do the unthinkable and support Liverpool. ****ing kill me now!

Malky

Established Member
And **** Ajax, knew we couldn't trust the ****ing dutch. Bunch of clog dancing, windmill building, tulip growing, canal rowing, bike riding ****s!
You deserve to have your team ripped apart after that bottlejob.

Furious

Unlocks Furious.

Sp**s vs Ajax
51 and 60 vs 49 and 40

Sp**s vs Man City
35 and 41 vs 65 and 59

Sp**s vs Dortmund
36 and 53 vs 47 and 64

Average 45.83 vs 55.66

Good teams will have possession it is natural but more teams in major tournaments are getting by through dominating the ball less and being effective on the counter.

Real Madrid dominated Europe, France won the WC and now two teams have got through to the CL final having less possession. As such we would expect to dominate Cardiff at home and away but against better teams countering is a more effective tactic currently.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

You picked a couple of games of your own choice and put an average on it. Won't have to read the drivel you've written to justify it.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

You picked a couple of games of your own choice and put an average on it. Won't have to read the drivel you've written to justify it.
That's their knock out fixtures and stats taken from the actual matches. Which shows on average in the knock out games they had less possession.

But that's fine wouldnt expect you to engage with facts or figures. You and your buddy are the same. Drop in with a comment and then snake out of it rather than engage.

NieThePiet

Loves Overhyping Our Rivals
Still can't believe this happened.

We are so close to an apocalypse. It's only one game and everything could happen in this game..

tenor.gif

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

Top 5 average CL possession stats

Man City
Real Madrid
Barcelona
Dortmund
PSG

Furious

Bottom 5 average CL possession stats

Zvedza
PSV
Plzen
Brugge
Athens

All out in the group stages. But but surrounding possession wins you tournaments :lol:

Furious

That's their knock out fixtures and stats taken from the actual matches. Which shows on average in the knock out games they had less possession.

But that's fine wouldnt expect you to engage with facts or figures. You and your buddy are the same. Drop in with a comment and then snake out of it rather than engage.

What's there to engage about? It seems that you've made up your mind "silver lining I was right" :lol:

I don't know what the other guy argued. But to look at it in such a simplistic manner ie. possession vs counter attack shows a lack of knowledge.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

What's there to engage about? It seems that you've made up your mind "silver lining I was right" :lol:

I don't know what the other guy argued. But to look at it in such a simplistic manner ie. possession vs counter attack shows a lack of knowledge.
The original argument was that we should move to counter attacking as it is proving more effective. The other guy said possession football like Barcelona and Ajax is dominating world football. I said maybe 10 years ago.

It's not that simplistic. I agree. But at the very top in recent years teams that are strictly possession based have fell short. Stats from the World Cup and CL show. League campaigns are slightly different*

It is better to be versatile than strict believers in one way. Which seems a bit illogical given that I've said countering is the way to go. But as you rightly pointed out Sp**s had more possession last night. You should be able to switch. But long term we should gear more towards countering and seek to dominate teams that are significantly below us.

We actually done this well against Napoli where we had less possession over the two legs. And comfortably went through.

The teams you've listed are weak teams and expectations would be that they'd go out anyway. They have no alternative but to try and hit on the break. Where you have that middle ground and you have to decide do we dominate or counter then the choice should be counter.

*This assumes that you're playing a team that is a near equal which in the latter stages of a knock out tournament you should be. In the league we should be comfortably better than 10 of the teams and slightly above or weaker than the remaining 9 which is when a decision has to be made. Home to Wolves and away Wolves should be dominate and counter. Home and away to City, counter.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer

Not debating anything here, but I'd actually like to see some statistics that show how important having more of the ball is when two (somewhat) equally funded teams compete. I'd imagine overall possession statistics get skewed heavily by big clubs just having access to much better players which makes a massive difference when you're going up against small teams etc.

Gut feeling says the team with the highest possession statistic probably wins out more often, but I could also see the actual split being much close to 50/50 than something like 70/30, mainly because many games between top teams end up with a possession stat that doesn't swing heavily towards one team, which probably makes it less impactful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom