• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

UEFA vote to scrap away goals rule

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Good. It's a stupid rule. Never made sense that winning, say, 1-0 at home should carry more weight than winning 2-1 at home heading into the 2nd leg. A goal is a goal. If the aggregate over 2 legs is 2-2, then the teams played even no matter where the goals were scored.

ThlRama

Player:Saka
I always thought that when the aggregate has to be settled between two dissimilar wins (say, a 3-0 and a 4-1) the team that should go through is the one that won the highest scoring game (the 4-1 in my example.) It just seems self-evident to me if the purpose is to promote attacking football. However, the problem with this is that it doesn't sort out double draws (a 1-1 and a 2-2) which is tricky. But double draws occur quite rarely at the very top level compared to one-win-each situations, don't they?

The thing that is certainly good (or at least has a balancing effect) about the away goal rule is that it tones down the advantage of playing the second game at home: The initiative in managing the result is yours, but if something goes wrong you're in trouble.

It's a difficult subject to be honest.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Is there anyway to alter it? Abolishing it completely gives an unfair advantage to the home team should it go to extra time.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Is there anyway to alter it? Abolishing it completely gives an unfair advantage to the home team should it go to extra time.

It's less of an unfair advantage than is the away goals rule itself. At least all goals count the same and you would no longer have teams altering play for the sake of it. Too many teams play to not give up a goal at home rather than playing for a goal themselves.

However, to your question, Ridge Mahoney of Soccer America proposed an alteration a few years ago:

There’s a simple way to lessen that away-goal burden: delay its implementation.

To wit: the away-goals tiebreaker isn’t used until overtime of the second game is completed. At the end of regulation of game two, only aggregate applies. In effect, the team with the edge in away goals goes into overtime with that advantage in hand. If it has not lost on total goals when overtime ends, it wins on away goals. But it has to play that extra 30 minutes to prevail.

You can read his whole piece here:

https://www.socceramerica.com/publi...goals-rule-can-be-altered-to-good-effect.html

Personally, I'd rather just abolish it. You could always schedule the higher seeded team to host the 2nd leg. That could be their advantage for being the higher-seeded team. But Mahoney's compromise would be an improvement.

carter777

Thinks Poch Is The GOAT

Player:Saka
Thought it was an archaic rule for a while now. There's just far too much homogeneity in football now. Pitches are of a similar standard, travel is far easier, sports science and recovery is far better, teams withing European competitions are far more familiar with each other now. It was brought it to make teams travelling to very different conditions more adventurous and not just play to keep the score down. We see far more teams now willing to go away now and play, I'd be in favour of scrapping it.

blaze_of_glory

Away goal rule makes the CL more exciting. You can benefit as much as you can suffer from it. Plus, its an incentive for the away side to play attacking football.

Keep the rule.
Gonna disagree here. think it actually makes it more dull and encourages teams to play too reservedly in front of their own fans, and away teams to really hunker down and park the bus if they grab one (in many games anyway). Really don't like how a lucky goal against the run of play can have such a huge impact either. Would much prefer all goals to be equal, both teams get a chance at home anyway so neither team is at a disadvantage there, and the away goals rule just seems unnecessary.

Anecdotal, but the MLS playoffs were absolutely outstanding to watch in the couple of years prior to them introducing away goals. Lots of attacking play and risks taken, very entertaining. Been much more dull since they added away goals to be more like Europe.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
It's supposed to be an incentive for away teams to attack, but I often find it results in home teams being more conservative in fear of conceding, you even see some say a 0-0 first leg is good for the home team. I honestly doubt the attacking play will suffer if they removed that rule.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Much rather a World League as the primary competition & then a smaller European League below that.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
who's even going to watch this? :lol:

I actually think it's a pretty good idea. At one time there were 4 European competitions, but expansion of the Champions League and UEFA Cup killed the Cup Winners Cup and the Intertoto Cup. The idea was to give clubs from smaller countries a chance in the big competitions, but realistically most simply can't compete. The article says Europa League would be reduced to 32 teams, making it less unwieldy. Maybe less trips to out-of-the-way places.

Of course it would mean nothing to clubs like Arsenal, but for clubs such as Derry City, Buducnost Podgorica or FK Shkupi it could mean everything.

Top Bottom