• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

UEFA vote to scrap away goals rule

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
who's even going to watch this? :lol:

I think it's fair for smaller nations who fail to qualify for even the EL. But in the end it's a ploy to milk those TV markets, too.

What I'd actually really like is a reformed Club WC. I don't know how you could implement it into the schedule of all continents with more teams added, but I would love to see South American, North American, African and Asian teams compete with European clubs in a serious competition.

Would love to see how say Atlanta or Gallardo's River Plate would fare against European teams, and to see some famed names like Boca Juniors, Sao Paolo or Flamengo in an intl. tournament.

Problem is for the big guns from over here they are not good enough, so it would be just another trophy thrown at the usual suspects. Without those, the tournament isn't atttractive enough for today's market and viewership. When do you play these games? Maybe playoffs very early in the season, then throw it in whenever there's time.

Could be something like this:

The 5 CL winners plus last years Club WC winner/finalist/3rd

Champions + Cup winners out of:
4 Concacaf nations - 8 teams
4 Conmebol nations - the four countries that have won the Copa Libertadores most, in a tie it's the more recent win that counts. So it would be
Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay and Colombia - 8 teams
4 CAF nations - same as with Conmebol - Egypt, Morocco, DR Congo, Cameroon - 8 teams
4 AFC nations - same with the others - Japan, South Korea, China, Australia - 8 teams
4 UEFA nations - the first 4 going by the 5 year efficient - 8 teams

-------
I'd send these into association playoffs with only the 5 CL winners set to filter out 2 teams for each association, two groups of 4 each,
no second legs, games in neutral stadions. That means 3 games per team for the playoffs. That's then 16 teams straight into a completely by chance K.O. phase. That would be 4 to 7 games max for any team played in neutral stadiums around the world.

Last season could have been something with the likes of

Real Madrid
Urawa Red Diamonds
Wydad Casablanca
Guadalajara
Gremio Porto Alegre
Pachuca
Corinthians
Nacional Medellin
Juventus
Barcelona
Toronto
Tigres
Melbourne

Could be a very interesting tournament and a neat way to bring football together globally, bringing back as of now fringe countries back into the club fold in a way and even out markets a bit - and it could be great for fans. Sure, the European heavy hitters would be favourites every season, but I think some US or South American teams could hurt them on special nights.

It could be a very multi facetted tournament with a special feeling, kind of honoring and celebrating club football and football culture from different continents, giving bynow fringe clubs the opportunity to get some publicity and their fans a game against either one of the world's biggest clubs or a club from the other end of the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: A_G

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
encourages teams to play too reservedly in front of their own fans, and away teams to really hunker down and park the bus if they grab one
I don't agree teams do this. Perhaps the smaller teams do but I've never seen us do this. City don't do this. Pool didn't do this last season. United ALWAYS do it under Mourinho. Real Madrid don't do this. Juventus maybe. Barca never scrap their football to do this..

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
I don't agree teams do this. Perhaps the smaller teams do but I've never seen us do this. City don't do this. Pool didn't do this last season. United ALWAYS do it under Mourinho. Real Madrid don't do this. Juventus maybe. Barca never scrap their football to do this..
We did it at Highbury after beat Real at the Bernabeu. Arguably Real did it last season after beating Juventus 3-0 in Turin and it nearly cost them.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
We did it at Highbury after beat Real at the Bernabeu. Arguably Real did it last season after beating Juventus 3-0 in Turin and it nearly cost them.
You will see it more with big teams vs each other but I'd argue the reverse would be true if the rule was abolished. Home teams playing for the win and away teams parking the bus.
It is going to happen and it is also sometimes the only way through. I agree with a previous comment... It is unfair on defensively minded managers too. As much as we dislike that style here at Arsenal, it is a style nonetheless and shouldn't be up against it due to opinion.

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone

giphy.gif

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
I think that this is an important change as those away goals always made matches more cautious.

That's the point.CL is competition where teams need much more tactical approach to win it.They want to make football more attractive,which isn't fair to some defensive managers.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member

Good!

Have always hated this nonsense rule where a goal some how counts as double just because.

I get it, they wanted to encourage the away side to attack but games of football arent all about attacking, you cant just punish defensive performances because its not deemed entertaining.

Going out a competition to fake goals was always bullshit, hope this goes through and announced Friday but we'll see.

Reactions: A_G

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Didnt it work quite well in the CL this year, heightened the tension a bit?

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
Didnt it work quite well in the CL this year, heightened the tension a bit?

Not in my opinion, what worked well was when the pandemic was in full force and they had to play 1 game only knockouts but that affects the money so will never change!

Edit: On the subject I think the competition would thrive if they had 1 game knockouts, it would open up the competition to 'lesser' clubs winning the thing, its so hard to beat a big dog over two legs.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom