• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Loss UEL R16 2nd Leg: Arsenal 1 (3) v 1 (5) Sporting CP (2) | Thursday, March 16 | KO: 20:00 GMT | BT Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

@A_G

31160018025_4434182e88_b.jpg

Paperino

It’s Timo Time

The its 'ok to get dumped out of cups early' attitude is what really disturbing me about my club and the fanbase. We have no right to be dismissive about the tournament.

Yeah, thats a loser attitude. But i dont think we can win both PL and EL with this squad so i picked PL.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
We could have definitely won both man.
Our performance in europa is crap the moment we rotate we look different team we can't dominate and cant let other teams stay in thier area. Even tho sporting win was pure luck goal from middle of pitch and penalties after thier keeper made 3 huge saves

Jack badmon

Our performance in europa is crap the moment we rotate we look different team we can't dominate and cant let other teams stay in thier area. Even tho sporting win was pure luck goal from middle of pitch and penalties after thier keeper made 3 huge saves

It was not luck they had far more desire and heart than we did there was only team who wanted it. We only started playing until extra time.

We need to get rid of this priority ****. Partey, Ødegaard etc. Play your strongest team get the job done take them off.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
It was not luck they had far more desire and heart than we did there was only team who wanted it. We only started playing until extra time.

We need to get rid of this priority ****. Partey, Ødegaard etc. Play your strongest team get the job done take them off.
That what i meant we don't take it seriously so even if we win we'll go out next round we simply don't show same effort and desire like we see in league. It'll change when we in CL because first you have to play your best team and you have to be on top of your game. That's why i don't like EL even tho its still good trophy but the club clearly take league specially in position we in more seriously than wasting energy in EL.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

EL is basically the Carabeo of European football. No need to throw away our title hopes in the league over this.

The day we have a more solid squad and are in the CL, it is a different argument. For now, this is like prioritising the league over the Carabeo.

In any case, it is a "bald man yells for a comb" argument. We are out. There are 11 games of the season left.

Jack badmon

EL is basically the Carabeo of European football. No need to throw away our title hopes in the league over this.

The day we have a more solid squad and are in the CL, it is a different argument. For now, this is like prioritising the league over the Carabeo.

In any case, it is a "bald man yells for a comb" argument. We are out. There are 11 games of the season left.

This exactly the problem such disrespect over two trophies one which we have never won and won we havent won since 1993.

Lets win them first then disrespect otherwise we had might as well just be Tottenham.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

This exactly the problem such disrespect over two trophies one which we have never won and won we havent won since 1993.

Lets win them first then disrespect otherwise we had might as well just be Tottenham.
The problem with this line of argument, is that you presume that we could just play our first eleven in all games. We can't.

Once we rotate with our current squad, the performance level drops significantly. I would actually argue that Arteta picked a competitive team. We could well have won that game. Had he played our first eleven, I'm sure we would have won. That could have cost us the game on Sunday, which simply is more important.

I agree with you that our overall performance as a club in Europe is poor. For a club our size, we should have won more, but in my view, the decisions Arteta took were the right ones.

Jack badmon

The problem with this line of argument, is that you presume that we could just play our first eleven in all games. We can't.

Once we rotate with our current squad, the performance level drops significantly. I would actually argue that Arteta picked a competitive team. We could well have won that game. Had he played our first eleven, I'm sure we would have won. That could have cost us the game on Sunday, which simply is more important.

I agree with you that our overall performance as a club in Europe is poor. For a club our size, we should have won more, but in my view, the decisions Arteta took were the right ones.

Partey, Ødegaard and Saka should have started on Thursday, the rest of the team
we can probably get away with it. Those three are so essiential to what we do its not even funny.

Again, start them get the job done and take them off. As you said its done now but I am devastated that we have been knocked out of all the other competitions so early.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Partey, Ødegaard and Saka should have started on Thursday, the rest of the team
we can probably get away with it. Those three are so essiential to what we do its not even funny.

Again, start them get the job done and take them off. As you said its done now but I am devastated that we have been knocked out of all the other competitions so early.
I just don't think we can afford to play those players week in week out. Partey has a poor injury record, and Saka looked totally knackered against Fulham.

I'd love to be in the position where we can challenge on every front, but we are not there yet. If we are to look at causes for optimism, it is clear that the club and the owners are committed to investing in the squad. CL football should bolster our ability to invest as well.

Pop Tart

Established Member
Any one seriously peeved that we lost this need to remember we are only 5 clear of man city, a team of incredible depth. This pl title is realistic, becomes even less so the more games we play and possibility of extra time in all further rounds. We simply do not have the squad at this stage to do both however winnable the Europa is.

If we had a bigger points margin i get it but this league title is so important for the club, manger and fans moving forward. We can have a proper go at winning cl after next season

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

After they scored Zinchenko decided to have a wee team huddle and drill into the players. I don't mind people having words but this isn't American football. The team no how to respond without gathering everyone around. Looked a bit daft at the time and more so looking back.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
To be honest, I thought we could win both cups with this current squad we have. A team of Nketiah, Nelson, Smith Rowe, Vieira, Jorginho, Tomiyasu, Tierney, Turner, Trossard, Kiwiour, Holding would have been enough to get us to the latter rounds as far as I was concerned. And we almost go there to be fair.

But its a wake up call to say that we dont have the necessary depth that we require to maintain our high level of football on display currently. We need to rectify this in the market with some key signings.

Im bummed we are out this cup and we could end up trophyless of course. But if you gave me this option in August, I would have gladly taken it.

LittleMo

To be honest, I thought we could win both cups with this current squad we have. A team of Nketiah, Nelson, Smith Rowe, Vieira, Jorginho, Tomiyasu, Tierney, Turner, Trossard, Kiwiour, Holding would have been enough to get us to the latter rounds as far as I was concerned. And we almost go there to be fair.

But its a wake up call to say that we dont have the necessary depth that we require to maintain our high level of football on display currently. We need to rectify this in the market with some key signings.

Im bummed we are out this cup and we could end up trophyless of course. But if you gave me this option in August, I would have gladly taken it.

For all the talk of tiredness, looking back at the fixtures since Jan, we’ve only had 3 midweek matches. The rest has been one per week, so why are they all so tired?

In the same vein, the players you mention all barely play with any regularity (with one or two exceptions). I wish Arteta wasn’t so rigid in his PL team and Cup teams, and could spread mind around a bit more. If you throw a handful of new or rusty players into a team, it’s going to be ****.

Maybe the squad isn’t good enough but they aren’t exactly being given the best conditions to shine either.

SA Gunner

For all the talk of tiredness, looking back at the fixtures since Jan, we’ve only had 3 midweek matches. The rest has been one per week, so why are they all so tired?

In the same vein, the players you mention all barely play with any regularity (with one or two exceptions). I wish Arteta wasn’t so rigid in his PL team and Cup teams, and could spread mind around a bit more. If you throw a handful of new or rusty players into a team, it’s going to be ****.

Maybe the squad isn’t good enough but they aren’t exactly being given the best conditions to shine either.

For me, its not about fatigue really. Its about quality.

I agree with you that the cohesion and understanding when playing together is not there. However when we look at teams like City, they can not play the likes of Foden, Bernado, Grealish, Mahrez for long periods. Only to have them come into the side and contribute at the level of the starting XI, from the first minute.

I thought Nelson, Vieira, Jorginho, and even Holding were capable of coming in and replicating that in the Europa League. I was wrong.

Think our next phase, phase 4, is us getting to that level. 16-18 players of absolute class, who can interchange and keep our system at starting eleven levels.

LittleMo

For me, its not about fatigue really. Its about quality.

I agree with you that the cohesion and understanding when playing together is not there. However when we look at teams like City, they can not play the likes of Foden, Bernado, Grealish, Mahrez for long periods. Only to have them come into the side and contribute at the level of the starting XI, from the first minute.

I thought Nelson, Vieira, Jorginho, and even Holding were capable of coming in and replicating that in the Europa League. I was wrong.

Think our next phase, phase 4, is us getting to that level. 16-18 players of absolute class, who can interchange and keep our system at starting eleven levels.

The thing is Man City DO play them, they make subs at half time or at least around up to 60mins so players are getting at least a good 30+ mins fairly regularly. The exception might be those coming back from injury like Phillips, but even he is getting time now.

Most of the players you mention have played in the last couple of matches at least.

SA Gunner

The thing is Man City DO play them, they make subs at half time or at least around up to 60mins so players are getting at least a good 30+ mins fairly regularly. The exception might be those coming back from injury like Phillips, but even he is getting time now.

Most of the players you mention have played in the last couple of matches at least.

Dont you think that's because of their quality?

If you have a Foden, Mahrez, Bernado, Alvarez to call on. Players who are of high quality, then they will naturally be able to get more minutes because they can sustain the levels required?

Look at them and compare that to Holding, to Tierney, to Nketiah and Jorginho even. Are these players who can come in and give us high level performances as their counterparts do, and not drop our quality output.

That for me is our next phase in development. Being able to give good minutes to our squad and retain high quality.

EmeryCouldnt

Established Member
The its 'ok to get dumped out of cups early' attitude is what really disturbing me about my club and the fanbase. We have no right to be dismissive about the tournament.

Do you have any arguments vs those already put forth on this subject?

Your emotions add nothing. Do you think we have the depth to challenge on all fronts? Don’t you think we should focus on capitalizing on our league position?

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

After they scored Zinchenko decided to have a wee team huddle and drill into the players. I don't mind people having words but this isn't American football. The team no how to respond without gathering everyone around. Looked a bit daft at the time and more so looking back.

Xhaka’s done it as long as I can remember.

Seen Arteta do it during an injury break against Bournemouth. Might work for the squad.

LittleMo

Dont you think that's because of their quality?

If you have a Foden, Mahrez, Bernado, Alvarez to call on. Players who are of high quality, then they will naturally be able to get more minutes because they can sustain the levels required?

Look at them and compare that to Holding, to Tierney, to Nketiah and Jorginho even. Are these players who can come in and give us high level performances as their counterparts do, and not drop our quality output.

That for me is our next phase in development. Being able to give good minutes to our squad and retain high quality.

No, or not just because of their quality. I think that you can’t doubt that the likes of Jorginho has enough quality, he’s shown over the years he is absolutely PL quality, I think Tierney has as well.

The thing is, when City bring on Grealish for De Bruyne or Haaland, they don’t expect him to play the same way that they do. They expect the style of play to change to suit those players.

We lost Jesus and rather than playing to suit the players we had, he tried to keep doing the same things which didn’t work. If he takes off Zinchenko and puts Tierney in, he expects him to play like Zinny whilst knowing he’s not that great at it.

The only things I think he needs to do better at is to use the squad more and to use them in a way that suits the players he has, not the style he wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom