<

UEL R32 2nd Leg: Arsenal (1) v Olympiacos (0) | Thursday, February 27 | KO: 20:00 GMT | BT Sport

Discussion in 'Match Day Archive' started by American_Gooner, Feb 24, 2020.

?

Match Prediction

Poll closed Feb 27, 2020.
  1. Arsenal Win

88.4%
  2. Draw

4.7%
  3. Olympiacos Win

7.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nyctophobia

Nyctophobia Well-Known Member

Hold on a second, there's VAR in the Europa league?

I didn't know, but I just saw the highlights from Celtic - Copenhagen and there it is, but there's a OBVIOUS hand ball in our game that they could have easily caught, I saw three replays of it after the first half it's clear as day, and VAR did **** all?

What the hell is the point, this is infuriating!

2. Nyctophobia

Nyctophobia Well-Known Member

Forget the result, but I mean for ****s sake!

3. bandaid

bandaid Active Member

Shows we are a Mustafi-dependant team.

4. boxerumble

boxerumble Well-Known Member

So devastated but it’s not like we played lights out... Auba is gone for sure. Time to get a good summer and a preseason with Arteta and the boys.

I had to sit through this at work, pretending to push paper and basically had a breakdown when that sitter was missed...... ****ing hate football

5. Manberg

Manberg Predator

We have to move on. Players are likely to be deflated, fans are deflated... this could easily have a knock on effect. Got to find motivation for Portsmouth.

6. bandaid

bandaid Active Member

at the crunch, your GK gifts a goal, and your striker misses one. Tough to have a cushion for that level of rotten luck

7. Underhill

Underhill Well-Known Member

While the players are obviously to blame for this, i also have to say that the atmosphere at Emirates was lame as hell. Easily beaten by Olympiacos fans. Not sure what happened because it was great against Everton.

8. Mitch

Mitch Bellerin Upgrade Advocate

Xhaka, Özil and Bellerin were very poor.

Luzi and Mustafi fell to shambles again at another set piece for their first goal.

Pepe was our most dangerous player. Saka and Ceballos played well. PEA goal was excellent.

Arteta has to take the blame here. Nevermind Pep, Arteta seems a clone of Wenger i his final seasons with us:

- We play very good football at times
    - We can't defend set pieces
    - Arteta has his favourites and that he will always start and always look to sub other players off even if his favourites are playing poorly.
    - We aren't getting the results to match how talented this team is.

krackpot likes this.
  9. Sapient Hawk

Sapient Hawk The Reason We're Out of Europe

It was quite shocking to realize I'd become the resident pariah after 120 minutes :lol:

Never thought I'd actually outstrip @rich 1990 or @GDeep™ for such an illustrious title.

American_Gooner likes this.
  10. m-due

m-due Well-Known Member

Seeing that wonder goal from Auba only to be devastated moments later; dang! It will be tough for Arteta to keep the confidence levels up with the remaining league games. COYG. Let’s see how these players react from here on.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  11. gunner4lyfe

gunner4lyfe Well-Known Member

Hindsight is a b!tch isnt it. Maybe Arteta should have rotated after all

12. <<reed>>

<<reed>> Meme Merchant

Emery won the EL 3 times and got one final and your boy Arteta fell short in his first "serious" test.
    We'll see how good he is next season, when he doesn't have Auba to bail him out.

13. Ozil'sCloakOfInvisibility

Ozil'sCloakOfInvisibility Not a Closet Spurs Fan

Yeah but we had a better team then

14. Vantastico

Vantastico Well-Known Member

Sometimes is good, sometimes is current state of Arsenal.

15. Goonerozil33

Goonerozil33 Well-Known Member

Tough result. If anything it should help our league form. We have been good when we play weekly once. We don't have a team that can play well in 3 games in a week. Two things stood out.
    1. Leno is looking shaky from set pieces.
    2. Özil looking close to his best.

m-due likes this.
  16. Sapient Hawk

Sapient Hawk The Reason We're Out of Europe

Mathematically it is possible, but how on earth can you still place your trust in these weak willed players?

They got knocked out by Olympiakos, there's no way we're winning at Molinuex or St. Mary's. I'd rather we finished far outside the Europa League places & just focused on trying to get back into the top 4 without any European distractions, we never do well in Europe at any rate.

17. Ashybashy86

Ashybashy86 Well-Known Member

Olympiacos gave him time and space because they were not threatened by him. There was a moment in the first half at the edge of the box, he crossed a hopeless ball in, and not one player even moved to close him down. This is our playmaker.

GeorgiaGunner likes this.
  19. Jovi

Jovi Active Member

Interesting. However we had 30 min of extra home advantage to score a goal.

MikeVinna likes this.
  20. Let's play Aubamawang

Let's play Aubamawang Well-Known Member

It's clear that the players didn't take this game seriously enough. These ties are rarely over after the first leg. But it's really a blessing in disguise. With our league position being where it is, we could do without distractions and excuses.

I just feel bad for the youngsters who will have less playing time now. And how on earth did Laca start before Gabriel? I cannot fathom that decision but it clearly backfired spectacularly. I know he's young, but drop Laca and play him instead. There's no upside with Laca.

gunner4lyfe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.