• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

UEL SF 2nd Leg: Atletico Madrid (1) v Arsenal (1) | May 3, 2018 20:05 BST | BT Sport

Match Prediction for the Rex Banner Derby?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

morpho

Established Member
I said this last week. But since Wenger announcered he was leaving has the team put in a single performance or result that was indicative of all the “we’re playing for Arséne” now BS that they spouted? I honestly haven’t seen a difference. Subject against West Ham for 80 minutes, impotent and switched off against a 10 man Atleti team at home in a European semi, bar the youngsters we disorganised and lost against United away and tonight we played with no intensity, no urgency, no nothing in probably the most important game we’ve had in years. Look at the Atleti players, certain of CL football next season, 2nd in what is statistically the best league in the world, 2 time CL finalists and already won this trophy twice before in the last few years, yet despite all that the hunger they had made me insanely jealous.

I’m already depressed about next season. I’m worried this is as much an underlining mentality issue as much as it is tactical. A new man can change how we play, but if you’re a loser that can’t up for a massive occasion like tonight then you’re a lost cause.
Best fcuking post Ive read in ages, around here.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
You know, I was just thinking how inflexible Wenger was last night with his subs, apart from Chambers for Kos.
He brought on Miki for Jack, but he still had one more left and he could have used it when he saw that both his fullbacks couldn't cross it right in the box.

That meant Kola or AMN could have been used and I don't think they would have been as bad as Nacho and Rapunzel, who was despicable last night.
Or bring in Eddie for Welbeck, because at least he could be where he should in the box and possibly exploit something.
Even taking Özil off and bringing Iwobi would have been something considering how wasteful he was with his passes.

The bottom line is he did nothing to inject some positivity in the team and let them do the same thing that didn't work until the end of the match.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Simeone's Atletico teams make most Mourinho sides look like Keegan's Newcastle. Can't argue with the quite frankly brilliant results he's getting but it makes for rough viewing. This Atletico team could have absolutely annihilated us over two legs if they'd only shown a bit more ambition.

Imagine having so much attacking quality you're able to bench Costa, Torres and Gameiro and still serve up such an unnecessarily cautious brand of football.

A lot of people need to watch Atleti when they play regular league games. They've blitzed many teams with great football. People's minds are clouded because all they see of Atleti are the backs to the wall stuff vs Real, Barca, Bayern in the CL -> This is cup football, it's a completely different ball game and they are the masters at it (along with their Madrid neighbours)

This notion that all they do is play boring football needs to stop. It's embarrassing.

Kroket

Trusty and Sensible
A lot of people need to watch Atleti when they play regular league games. They've blitzed many teams with great football. People's minds are clouded because all they see of Atleti are the backs to the wall stuff vs Real, Barca, Bayern in the CL -> This is cup football, it's a completely different ball game and they are the masters at it (along with their Madrid neighbours)

This notion that all they do is play boring football needs to stop. It's embarrassing.

I'm sure they can get past weaker teams in a convincing way, I still think against us they shouldn't have been as cautious as they were. Despite a significant gulf in quality we were only ever a lucky deflection or dodgy penalty call away from forcing extra time.

They took a massive risk by sitting on their one goal lead for such a long time, think I would have preferred us going for their throats had the roles been reversed.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

I'm sure they can get past weaker teams in a convincing way, I still think against us they shouldn't have been as cautious as they were. Despite a significant gulf in quality we were only ever a lucky deflection or dodgy penalty call away from forcing extra time.

They took a massive risk by sitting on their one goal lead for such a long time, think I would have preferred us going for their throats had the roles been reversed.

Don't really think you can call it a "massive" risk when they've conceded 0 goals in 11 games on their turf.

Kroket

Trusty and Sensible
Don't really think you can call it a "massive" risk when they've conceded 0 goals in 11 games on their turf.

Taking a quick glance at their league fixtures Betis and Valencia are the only half decent teams they've played at their place since the turn of the year. Admittedly haven't watched them play much but understood they got away with it against Sporting too.

Fair play to them for the way they can close games out but they could have been home and dry by half time yesterday.

Kash

Arsène FC Supporter
if we remember, Arsenal have been regularly tonked by Monaco, Bayern, Barca, AC Milan over the past european campaigns. It was never easy to beat ATM, but the chance was there. The team competed. In the current environment, I wouldnt blame them for being a bit distracted. Arsenal could have won it. Things didnt fall our way. It was a proper semi-final, and it was lost by us letting them back in it, at 1:0 up at the emirates. People shouldnt forget that they defended very well, and their goalkeeper did a great job. Its not an occasion to wail and mourn the team. We dragged this squad as far as we could. Selling Sanchez, Giroud, Walcott, Coquelin and losing Elneny / kos to injury made it a very difficult matchup to win.

It could only have happened if Özil, Ramsey and Mkhi had conjured up a few moments of magic, like Jack /Laca did for the first goal. But thats what it was, hoping for one last bit of magic.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny

I don’t know much about Athletico but it seemed to me they were totally there for the taking. No one to blame but ourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom