• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aevi

Hale End FC
Thank you for the response. Apologies if you thought I was talking rubbish

In my opinion you can take a view in whether the refereeing decisions incorrectly affected the outcome, but it's all theoretical. What's actually important is how we respond to the poor refereeing calls

On your first point, it seems like you've grouped our last two performances together. In my opinion our last two performances are the complete opposites of each other. I actually think Emery did a good job setting the team up against Sp**s. As you correctly pointed out, we suffered from some bad refereeing calls. However we kept playing our game and created some good chances, and it isn't unreasonable to say that we probably would have won if those mistakes been made refereeing hadn't.

The difference with the Sp**s game and the Rennes game is that team didn't let the bad decisions affect their mentality and drop their heads, and we have to give Emery and the players credit for that.

With Rennes however, Sokratis supposedly got a soft red card (although I've heard that he had a another challenge or two go unfinished prior to the second yellow). We can't do anything about that. Refereeing decisions are completely out of our control and nothing we can do or say can change a decision that's been made. But given that a red card was given, we should have adapted so much better to it. You said that blaming Emery was very nitpicky but I respectfully disagree. I think there was so much more he could have done to help the team deal with.
We had mhikitaryan playing at right back, we had Özil wandering around in a game were we needed more depth to our midfield, we had Monreal exposed and beaten by their attack constantly.
We had our players recklessly overcommitting to try and score and an unnecessary goal. Even after we conceded our third goal we overcommitted in attack and risked conceding a fourth in the exact same fashion as we conceded the forth. We should have managed the game so much better and Emery should have adapted to the situation he was in much better than he did.

I'm sorry but to say that Emery wasn't at fault is just not true. Emery is the manager and ultimately responsible for the performance that is delivered on the pitch. Its up to him to give instructions to the players, and it's up to him to ensure they follow those instructions. If he can't do that then it isn't the players letting him down, it's him not doing his job as a manager. You've admitted yourself that he should have set the team up to take a 1-1 draw and he should have done better, but at the same time you say it's very nitpicky to blame Emery? Your argument seems very inconsistent.
Apologies for saying you're talking rubbish, you aren't.

I think we've evaluated the game in the same way, but just have a difference in opinion on how that the events of the game affect how much you expect of Emery. In retrospect, I feel a bit more inclined to judge Emery for his reaction to the red card, as it is indeed his job to set the team up to deal with it efficiently. We did indeed fall short in some ways, but Emery did still make defensive adjustments. And I still maintain that because of the refereeing decisions and the way certain players performed, more responsibility should be directed elsewhere. Regardless of Emery, the players shouldn't have conceded the last two goals to Rennes. And so when we're looking back at that performance in particular, I'm looking at them more than Emery.

To draw a comparison, it's like if a couple students fail a test after not studying. Sure, the teacher could possibly have taught the material better, but the bottom line is that the students are to blame because they're responsible for learning and studying the material and haven't done so. It's not a perfect analogy but in the moment on the pitch, the players didn't do their job and Emery can't do much about it. We would have been fine had they done so. And that's without even getting to the offside call and red card.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
To add to my point above, this didn't start with Emery. We have historically held on to players far past their expiry date or not replaced them with a better player fast enough

Mertesacker
Arteta
Flamini
Almunia
Coquelin
Cazorla
Sanchez (just 6 months because City offered us 60M that summer)
Denilson (should have been sold after 6 months)
Giroud
Rosicky

All of the above except Almunia and Denilson were fan favorites.

arsenefc

Obsessed With Guendouzi
To add to my point above, this didn't start with Emery. We have historically held on to players far past their expiry date or not replaced them with a better player fast enough

Mertesacker
Arteta
Flamini
Almunia
Coquelin
Cazorla
Sanchez (just 6 months because City offered us 60M that summer)
Denilson (should have been sold after 6 months)
Giroud
Rosicky

All of the above except Almunia and Denilson were fan favorites.

we could have done with Cazorla, Sanchez, Coquelin and Giroud yesterday.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
we could have done with Cazorla, Sanchez, Coquelin and Giroud yesterday.

We had plenty of nights like last night with them in the team. Do I need to sit down and list all of them?

United 3-2 Arsenal
The Swansea loss at the Emirates
Watford knocking us out of the FA Cup.

Those 3 are all from the same season.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
That is what I'm afraid of. We cling to our players like we just made the CL final and lost out on the title on goal difference.

This lot has finished outside of the top 4 for two seasons in a row, far off first place and routinely get embarrassed in various matches.

We shouldn't be afraid of a clear out. What has this lot done that they should be allowed to stay at the club? Stability and changing things bit by bit hasn't done anything for us. I say we rip the band aid off and address all of our problems in the summer. Other clubs have big upheavals in playing staff, we can do the same.

None of this, solve two problems then go well that will do until next summer. That kind of lousy team building has led to Emery not knowing who to play at RB and saw Wenger trying to fit square pegs into round holes for years.

Get rid of the jokers, buy the players we need and go again next season. Sounds too simple? Too Fifa/FM? Sanhelli and the guys at the club make millions. Maybe they should earn that money for once.

I'm all for a clear out, we have some who's contracts end, then we have the likes of Elneny etc who will be moved on. I just don't think we should get shot of Kos, he's done really well since his return and he's a big part of the club. Keep him for his final year as a quality back up/rotation CB.

GoonerJay24

We had plenty of nights like last night with them in the team. Do I need to sit down and list all of them?

United 3-2 Arsenal

No Cazorla

arsenefc

Obsessed With Guendouzi

United 3-2 Arsenal

hell, we could have even used Mertesacker and Elneny .... but its the internet, so I know there are all kinds of people and opinions.

say yes

forum master baiter
Don’t think you can really blame Emery for anything that happened in the Sp**s / Rennes games. Individual errors and bad refereeing cost us.

Will be interesting to see how he gets the team to respond on Sunday though. Huge game and the difference between a good and a great manager is how they adapt to circumstances going against them.

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

Tactics good again.

Also very impressed by how much he has improved our pressing game. It was always so disorganized, but very effective right now.

Tactics good again.

Also very impressed by how much he has improved our pressing game. It was always so disorganized, but very effective right now.

Meh, a lot of work to be done still. Manchester United were moving the ball very quickly from first third into final third. Sometimes like a hot knife through butter.

We did defend well and soaked up their pressure from minute 30-65. But it was a long chapter United dominated us at our own home ground! So there is a room for improvement. But all in all great result and great job done defensively from us!

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

Meh, a lot of work to be done still. Manchester United were moving the ball very quickly from first third into final third. Sometimes like a hot knife through butter.

We did defend well and soaked up their pressure from minute 30-65. But it was a long chapter United dominated us at our own home ground! So there is a room for improvement. But all in all great result and great job done defensively from us!
Agree, but better players in some positions will fix a lot of that.

But the pressing is much better than when it was Alexis running around on his own trying to close down three players.

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
Emery is winning my heart I have to say, I could say I judged him to quickly on the Özil situation, he clearly relies on him now!

Hope

Less
This is how you play every game when you have the qualities we have.

Auba laca Özil always have to play together.

Our defence isnt bombarded then.

Great job emery. Keep it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom