• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

Shown his class in the big games this season.

Hilarious as it is whenever we bring the "bantz" it'll end up biting us on the arse if we end up 5th/6th which, given the number & type of teams we'll be playing away from home, is quite possible :lol:

Last edited:

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

D1Z6MGaXcAAtE6R.jpg:large

Absolutely zero progress made.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
Credit where credit is due. He has us in the top 4 right now and I hope he can get us into third place above Sp**s.

It hasn't been a perfect season but I'm contented with our league position.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
No point in debating this until the end of the season. If we finish 6th the fact we were 4th in March will be completely irrelevant. Contrariwise if we finish 3rd or 4th no-one should be bothered by our very poor start when we were practically bottom.

I don't see anyone giving Wenger brownie points for the seasons we led for long periods only to collapse later on.

pacstud

Yeah this is great improvement on our worst season in 20 years! Next step is showing progress that really matter and become competitive for the the title!
It is great improvement. Throwing out "worst season in 20 years" is disingenuous as the last two decades have been unreal. This year's team is objectively doing better in almost every metric as well as passing the eye test. No need to piss on things to appear elite. ;)

Since the ‘new financial era’ began:
Bear in mind Wenger had Per/Kos, Cazorla, Alexis and Özil all in their primes.

Yeah different players, different managers, different times. I just don't see the point in comparing each season to previous season. And yes I've touched on it before.

Top4 is just the standard that has been set in last 20 years so if Emery can do it, we are just at same place as we have been at in recent years, its square one. Hopefully next step Emery can get us competitive for the league. That is the real progress we all want to see!

Reactions: A_G

It is great improvement. Throwing out "worst season in 20 years" is disingenuous as the last two decades have been unreal. This year's team is objectively doing better in almost every metric as well as passing the eye test. No need to piss on things to appear elite. ;)

But what does it mean? What help is it? What happens next year if Emery can't improve on this season?

Every year is a new season and teams rock up and down with the years. Sometimes they get more points and sometimes less points. There is no constant progress so we shouldn't be comparing each season with the previous one.

blaze_of_glory

This contrasts somewhat with 538, which I think takes upcoming opposition into account and predicts us to finish with 74 points.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/premier-league/

Looking at the past 10 seasons, both 74 and 76 would compare quite well. Saying we've only reached 76 point once in 10 years is true, but it also would not really be an outlier.

• '08-'09: 72
  • '09-'10: 75
  • '10-'11: 68
  • '11-'12: 70
  • '12-'13: 73
  • '13-'14: 79
  • '14-'15: 75
  • '15-'16: 71
  • '16-'17: 75
  • '17-'18: 63

Emery is at this point at least looking to be getting us back to where we were under Wenger prior to the final year. Point-wise anyway.

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone

This contrasts somewhat with 538, which I think takes upcoming opposition into account and predicts us to finish with 74 points.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/premier-league/

Looking at the past 10 seasons, both 74 and 76 would compare quite well.

• '08-'09: 72
  • '09-'10: 75
  • '10-'11: 68
  • '11-'12: 70
  • '12-'13: 73
  • '13-'14: 79
  • '14-'15: 75
  • '15-'16: 71
  • '16-'17: 75
  • '17-'18: 63

Emery is at this point at least looking to be getting us back to where we were under Wenger prior to the final year. Point-wise anyway.

Wenger had better squad and less competition.Until 2011,there were only Chelsea,Utd and maybe Liverpool.When City won league for the first time,Liverpool was bad etc.Now,we have 5 quite good teams with better quality.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Most people will be thrilled if we can win the fourth-place trophy but if we don't kick on then (and we won't with the Kronkes in situ) what then? More black scarves and scapegoating of the manager?

blaze_of_glory

Wenger had better squad and less competition.Until 2011,there were only Chelsea,Utd and maybe Liverpool.When City won league for the first time,Liverpool was bad etc.Now,we have 5 quite good teams with better quality.
Definitely didn't have a better squad for a lot of those years. Think of the likes of Eboue, Senderos, Squillaci, Denilson, Bendtner, etc.

Competing with Ferguson United is at very least the equal competition as we face now. I would argue it is even more difficult back then against Ferguson than its now.

Wenger built great squad with great players withoug much money. Hopefully Emery can simulate that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom