• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

isop

He never played consistently he was injured all the time, it's easy to add pace in the game when all your body can manage is 10-15 minutes at the end of the match. Most overrated Arsenal player in history, people rate him out of sympathy.

Not to mention I reckon my 12 year old cousin could barge him off the ball, he was the quintessential Arsène player from the late 2000s; pretty on the ball but no physicality and injured practically his whole career.

Not for me. Sure he had a bad injury record, but he was a really good player, before and during his time at Arsenal. With his dribbling, his creativity, his shooting, movement, intelligence on and off the ball, he wasn't called "Little Mozart" for nothing.

He was part of that 07/08 quality team that challenged for the title, and there was at least 1 or 2 seasons where his form carried the team into a top 4 finish, playing in the CAM role. You are severely underrating him imo, he's a much better player than you're making him out to be.

As for Emery, well, even with Top 4 and EL still to play for, it's getting a bit boring now. I actually can't wait for the season to finish and the transfers out and recruitment to start. As mentioned I'm not a fan of him and don't really trust him but lets see what he can do with a revamped squad, his own (well documented) shortcomings aside.

Last edited:

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Kept faith with lesser players for too long, so the same deficiencies in the squad never get addressed.
That’s fair enough. But what is a lesser layer?

Go to the player threads and you’ll find plenty of posters here thinking that Özil, Iwobi, Lich, Kola, Mkhi, Monreal, AMN, Mustafi, Guendouzi, Elneny, Jenkinson, Mavropanos, are all either aging or lesser players and getting some stick. That’s actually half our squad.

ThlRama

Player:Saka
Back when it was just a few games into the current season, I bothered looking how Emery did in Spain in the run-ins of his league campaigns. I tried to convince myself that it didn't matter, but they weren't actually good at all. This season hasn't been any different for him in this regard, however he can still salvage the bare minimum by winning all the remaining games, it is still doable and meaningful. Or, he can go on and win the Europa, if he does that where we finish in the League won't matter too much.

akhil

It's his first season. He's probably seen enough to know which players to keep and which to let go. It would have been premature for him to cull the squad after just joining. Him and his staff know these players now, it'll be an interesting summer. Hopefully we can get some decent fees for players we sell.

akhil

Back when it was just a few games into the current season, I bothered looking how Emery did in Spain in the run-ins of his league campaigns. I tried to convince myself that it didn't matter, but they weren't actually good at all. This season hasn't been any different for him in this regard, however he can still salvage the bare minimum by winning all the remaining games, it is still doable and meaningful. Or, he can go on and win the Europa, if he does that where we finish in the League won't matter too much.

His run ins included Sevilla, Valencia and us now, they've gone deep in Europe with smaller squads and he's prioritized Europe. It's not surprising his end of season run is worse considering he's been managing tier 2 teams with not the best or most balanced squads.

You're looking at 55 game season on average with that kind of schedule. That is hard on a squad no matter how good you are.

ThlRama

Player:Saka
His run ins included Sevilla, Valencia and us now, they've gone deep in Europe with smaller squads and he's prioritized Europe. It's not surprising his end of season run is worse considering he's been managing tier 2 teams with not the best or most balanced squads.

You're looking at 55 game season on average with that kind of schedule. That is hard on a squad no matter how good you are.

No doubt - just saying. Even though a game like Palace at home should be winnable anyway.

lamby22

It's Not Lupus

Uhm why did we bring in that flimsy midget Suarez then?

I don't think we're either. You can see that we have more physical players than we used to but we are suffering a drop technically. I kind of miss the technical midgets of the Wenger era.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
That’s fair enough. But what is a lesser layer?

Go to the player threads and you’ll find plenty of posters here thinking that Özil, Iwobi, Lich, Kola, Mkhi, Monreal, AMN, Mustafi, Guendouzi, Elneny, Jenkinson, Mavropanos, are all either aging or lesser players and getting some stick. That’s actually half our squad.
When I say persisting with lesser players, I mean guys like Mustafi who is now into his 3rd season as first choice. That's far too many games to have him in the team, if a better player had been signed instead of him in 2016 CB arguably wouldn't be on the shopping list this summer. Same with Iwobi, I'm a fan of his but signing a winger in the last few years would've offset his consistency issues. I appreciate Wenger showing faith an academy talent but he was never afraid to buy a number of young players in one position and let the cream rise to the top. One example would be having a number of youngsters in CM like Diaby, Song, Muamba and Larsson. If a winger had been signed to replace the ones who had left like Gnabry/Ox/Walcott, either Iwobi would out-perform him and become a first XI regular or he would be in his rightful place for the moment as an impact sub.

avalonhse

When I say persisting with lesser players, I mean guys like Mustafi who is now into his 3rd season as first choice. That's far too many games to have him in the team, if a better player had been signed instead of him in 2016 CB arguably wouldn't be on the shopping list this summer.

Obviously Mustafi is 1st choice because we could not sell him and we dont have budget to buy more. Sokratis came and it is not enough.

Even Galasataray refused to buy Mustafi for 25M and wanted a loan instead. What else you can do?

http://dailycannon.com/2018/08/galatasaray-still-want-mustafi/

progman07

Established Member
What, then, would he like to see his side do differently in a game like that?

"I think it's about being competitive without necessarily playing well. Sometimes the other team will impose their idea on you. Being competitive means that when you can't find a way to win by outplaying your opponent, you are able to adapt and find another way to win or draw the game. That is another area in which I want this team to make progress."
Source: SkySports

I don't really understand - apart from our games at home against the top6, when have we played well? All we have been doing this season is being competitive without necessary playing well, I could name quite a few flukey points, starting with the Watford game where we were outplayed with a man advantange.

Hopefully a new dynamic winger, and a more comfortable back 4 who plays out of the back more efficiently will bring us better football.

MustOezil

Source: SkySports

I don't really understand - apart from our games at home against the top6, when have we played well? All we have been doing this season is being competitive without necessary playing well, I could name quite a few flukey points, starting with the Watford game where we were outplayed with a man advantange.

Hopefully a new dynamic winger, and a more comfortable back 4 who plays out of the back more efficiently will bring us better football.

Sure lets give him 200m worth of players so he can get top 4 and finally win against watford.

**** coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom