• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Out of interest, are the fans who want Emery out supporters of 'Wenger In?'

No. I was/am a big admirer of Wenger, I thought the way he was hounded by some fans was classless and over the top, but I felt like it was definitely time for a change. I was happy the management chose a proven manager instead of an absolute beginner/rookie like Arteta or Vieira, and I liked the early signs during pre season and early league season, but by autumn I had seen some things and started questioning Emery.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Shame Torreira and Guendouzi were Mislintat signings and Sven is gone.

I personally don't see anything that seriously speaks for giving him another season, but 1) I'm personally beyond really caring atm 2) the club will not sack him anyway 3) hopefully the new Technical Director knows his stuff and can prevent Arsenal from becoming even more of a garbage dumbster 4) there's really no good candidate out there right now anyway who's either free or would be willing to come, I guess. The most interesting free manager currently is Mourinho...

The only thing everyone needs to be sure about though is that if Arsenal go into the next season with him, they also have to end it with him - provided the club doesn't fall from top 6. Firing/hiring during the season that's what I call willy nilly. Chances of getting a good manager during the season are basically zero, too. They're mostly under contract and working successfully, so why bother to leave that to salvage another club's bad season, or have set their eyes on bigger fish. E.g. Valverde's chair is pretty tottery and someone like Allegri will wait for that. Or the Bayern job. Or the United job. Would be absolutely shambolic if Emery was fired in say January only to be replaced by muppets like Moyes, Blanc or Lopetegui who'll then be the next block of concrete dragging the club down. Something like that would be alike to being a typical fire/club. If Arsenal is convinced to give him the next season, they should do so completely, if not, then don't.
There is no reason to believe based on what we’ve seen that Arsenal would think about sacking our manager at Christmas. It’s like you’re creating a scenario to suit your argument as to why you feel he should go. We have players arriving, players coming back from injury and there is quite a bit to look forward to at the moment. Your take on this situation is very negative.

Toby

There's no chemistry between him and the players

That's a big one for me, too. It doesn't really seem like there's a connection between manager and players, like they're not completely taken in by his ideas. Compare this to Klopp or Guardiola and how you can see that chemistry. Think a good comparison is Kovac at Bayern. He's not a bad coach and I think he's yet to show his best, the Bayern players aren't exactly playing against him or dislike him, but you can see they don't completely buy into his ideas/methods either.

Last edited:

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
You could literally use the same argument the other way.

The majority of the football we played was boring, it doesn’t mean we didn’t have some good game or great goals.
It’s been a mix and mash to be perfectly honest. Some great games some **** games. Much like the last few seasons. I didn’t expect everything to change instantly for the better.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I think the sacking of Rioch was more 'opportunist'. It was the perfect opportunity to get Wenger and I'm pretty sure Wenger was wanted before Rioch which I believe David Dein mentioned in some interviews. I personally didn't think Rioch did too badly at the time. Maybe some of these players have had it good for too long. Maybe they need that kick up the backside ie Özil, to get more out of them. It seems too many are comfortable and this leads to a mentality of complacency. Emery has a very good record at previous clubs and there is no evidence to suggest the players do not have his back.
PSG aside, Emerys other clubs are a level below where we aspire to return. I think a few players will hang him out to dry yo protect themselves but maybe I'm projecting. I don't see the connection between them.

Toby

There is no reason to believe based on what we’ve seen that Arsenal would think about sacking our manager at Christmas. It’s like you’re creating a scenario to suit your argument as to why you feel he should go. We have players arriving, players coming back from injury and there is quite a bit to look forward to at the moment. Your take on this situation is very negative.

I'm not creating a scenario to fit my argument. I said I don't think he has to go now, even if I would like to see it, and I actually said that if Arsenal stick to him, which is right now the most likely scenario, he definitely has to stay for the whole of next season because firing someone mid season is a bonkers thing to do, which just like you I also don't expect the club to do. So from my point of view, if he's here in a month, he gets another full season from me even if I don't like it - prevent it's not an absolutely catastrophic season, which I don't expect tbh - think it's going to be more or less the same than this one.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
It’s been a mix and mash to be perfectly honest. Some great games some **** games. Much like the last few seasons. I didn’t expect everything to change instantly for the better.
But that’s where most the frustration comes from, it’s just like past few seasons, we’ve haven’t made any progress.

It’s hard to put a pin on area we’ve done well this season or an identity to the team that we can build on in the next.

Even the Özil situation feels indecisive. Frozen out, reinstated and now looks to be out again.

And this was with little to no pressure, probably has until December before AFTV kicks back into gear.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
That's why we need new players, we need to replace guys like Özil and Xhaka. Do you seriously think we can hire Guardiola and he won't demand our board do a squad clearout?
Im not sure I've got your point completely but I've wanted a squad clear out for a while and I know we'll never hire a Pep calibre coach. Emery has to be more demanding. He's a new face and the financial constraints are loosened. He's been too humble and agreeable to get this job but he will lose it if he stays that way as we'll never progress. The Dennis Suarez fiasco doesn't bode well when smaller clubs picked up better loans.

em9999

My rainbows
I just made a rap song that says

[mod edit: that's too far even as a joke]

Last edited by a moderator:

teamsoutheast

Player:Ødegaard
But that’s where most the frustration comes from, it’s just like past few seasons, we’ve haven’t made any progress.

It’s hard to put a pin on area we’ve done well this season or an identity to the team that we can build on in the next.

Even the Özil situation feels indecisive. Frozen out, reinstated and now looks to be out again.

And this was with little to no pressure, probably has until December before AFTV kicks back into gear.

How is being 1 point away from fourth, considering we were 12 points off 4th last season, deemed 'not making progress'. We have looked alot more competitive gainst the top six sides. Our away record has improved slightly after the abysmal record last season. 3rd highest scoring team in the league ahead of Tottenham, United and Chelsea who have arguably better attacking units than we do. Oh, and don't forget a European final, even though we lost, we got there beating some decent teams on the way (Valencia/Napoli). Your nitpicking over nothing as far as i'm concerned.

Last edited:

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
How is being 1 point away from fourth, considering we were 12 points off 4th last season, deemed 'not making progress'. We have looked alot more competitive gainst the top six sides. Our away record has improved slightly after the abysmal record last season. 3rd highest scoring team in the league ahead of Tottenham, United and Chelsea who have arguably better attacking units than we do. Oh, and don't forget a European final, even though we lost, we got there beating some decent teams on the way (Valencia/Napoli). Your nitpicking over nothing as far as i'm concerned.

All that and you failed to make any point to how we have improved as a team, top stuff. :lol:

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Yes.... it appears results, points and performances against better sides don’t actually tell you anything these days... Its all about winning back our prestigious Possession Passing Trophy. 73% possession and zero shots on target... :drool:

The league table is for losers as if that truly determines how well a team has done, it's all about the xG and passmaps now. :drool:

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Does anybody know what Emery's football philosophy is, or how he plays his teams, except for working hard ?
Under Emery, Arsenal plays dull football, without a sense of philosophy or attacking urgency. The team is incredibly tough to watch and follow, and delivered subpar results against clubs residing in the bottom half of the table.

Emery had 4th wrapped and gifted to him, but has made massive tactical mistakes at the end of the season to deprive us of yet another year of UCL.

Hopefully Salheli, as new as he is at this club, finds the balls to do what any other big club would have done, and sack this clown before he is given another transfer window.

If we do not uproot him, Emery's tenure will be remembered as that of a man who drove out Aaron Ramsey, ostracized Özil and sold Lacazette.

The guy is an embarrassment to our club
To play exciting football you need exciting players.
Emery played attractive football in every single teams he managed, but why not at arsenal?
Did he changed his tactics? No.
Our players are the problem and they are overrated by fans. Yes, Özil, Iwobi, Mkhi are not good enough and are overrated.
This tactics is how Emery has always used, in every teams he managed:
For our general shape, we play as compact as possible vertically, so the distance between our line of defence and our line of attack is short. For horizontal width, we want to use the width as much as possible in attack, but can operate in a more narrow width when defending.

When defending, we try to press the opponent’s buildup, but if it’s not successful, we will retreat instead of sending more players up to press aggressively. Because our wingers and wing backs are pushed so high up the pitch, our defenders are exposed to counter attack. To prevent that, we need both central midfielders to stay in position in order to protect the central area when the opponent starts a counter attack.

In attacking phase, we try to play from the back with a sweeper keeper. Central defenders are positioned wide to receive the ball, deep playmaker will drop deep to provide passing options and distribute the ball to more advanced areas. Wing backs are there to provide width, to put in low crosses. They will be pushed high up the pitch occupying the wingers position.
Wingers who operate behind the striker(s) are suppose to shift inside, to dribble past defenders, play short combinations, and to help overloading the opponent box alongside the striker(s), to score/assist. When they shift inside they take the responsibility of an attacking midfielder/second striker.

Unlike Wenger, Emery would make tactical adjustments in match, normally changing the formation or the positioning of a player, without changing the philosophy, shape and other tactical aspects. He will try to overload specific area of the opponent team, and avoid the vice versa. To avoid being outnumbered when we build up from the back, and try to outnumber the opponent when they try to build up from the back. He also makes decisive early substitutions.

Tactically we have improved a lot. It’s not Emery’s fault that our players individual quality are not good enough.
It’s an attacking tactics and it doesn’t focus on wingbacks. It looks that way because our wingers are ****, and not doing their job properly.

We have a team of boring non-technical players. If you want results, hire Tony pulis. He will get the best out of this non-technical rubbish. If you want beautiful football with this group of players, it is impossible. The only thing you can do is to hire a manager with attacking tactics (Emery) and let him to replace our players with more technical players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom