• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artisan

Not Emery's Old Pal
Pochettinho had Tottenham finish third without spending anything in the market and with Kane out for significant portion. Were they the third best team in the league or the second best team in Europe?

If Emery can't get the team to be more than the sum of its part then he is not the right manager for us. We need someone that can get us to overperform relative to our quality, because you don't need to be clairvoyant to know that we aren't gonna invest significantly compared to our rivals.

CJJ

Established Member
Pochettinho had Tottenham finish third without spending anything in the market and with Kane out for significant portion. Were they the third best team in the league or the second best team in Europe?

If Emery can't get the team to be more than the sum of its part then he is not the right manager for us. We need someone that can get us to overperform relative to our quality, because you don't need to be clairvoyant to know that we aren't gonna invest significantly compared to our rivals.
So you're basically just want a manager to accept the premise that he's not gonna get the funds he need to build a title winning squad and he has to overperform massively? Sorry mate but i don't think you're gonna find a manager worth his trade that would accept such proposal.
Besides.. Before the season i'd say that Tottenham had the 3rd best team in the league if you where to compare player by player. So i don't see the point you're making there. Sp**s had a top3 side and they got it.

The champions league 2nd place was outragously lucky and i don't put much thought into that placement. Besides, that tournament is by design much more random as much of it is also down to luck of the draw.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi

Because Tottenham has been working very good and had a midterm/longterm plan.
We have a very poor built squad.

We don't have any strategy at the club atm. We didn't have over the last few years. That's why we've gone backwards.
Pochettino & Tottenham have been smart, they've built the team around their young players, had solid defensive fondations (their CB are much better than ours) so it's paying off. Even though they haven't spent last summer.

Any top manager you'd want at the head of Arsenal would get rid of half of our squad at least and bring in quality players.
Because there is an obvious lack of talent, from top to bottom.

First let's have a plan and fix this team.
Then, if the manager doesn't get results, fire him.

But I don't expect any significant improvements if we bring in another coach just to keep making the same stupid decisions.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I'll just quote Nick Hornby:

Arsenal fans are used to pretty sights, and if the choice is between fifth place and no Champions League football, and sixth place with the occasional breath-taking moment of beauty, the Emirates crowd may decide that the grass was not, after all, greener.

Two of the best goals I have ever seen were scored this season, under Emery, within 10 days of each other. One was by Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, against Leicester, an incredible team goal that involved a flick from Özil, a dummy by Özil and an extraordinary sliced pass by Özil. The other was also an incredible team goal, away at Fulham. It involved a pass from Ramsey, a flick from Ramsey, a headed pass from Ramsey and a back-heel into the net from Ramsey.

I hope that this is the football that Emery wants to play. I hope, too, that he knows the players he wants to play it. Perhaps some of the youngsters -- Emile Smith Rowe, say, or Bukayo Saka, or Reiss Nelson -- may provide the missing Wenger-esque pieces of the Emery puzzle ... in which case, we are back to the old club promise of jam tomorrow, and more reading of the runes.

https://global.espn.com/football/cl...er-than-wengers-last-spoiler-alert-not-really

Artisan

Not Emery's Old Pal
So you're basically just want a manager to accept the premise that he's not gonna get the funds he need to build a title winning squad and he has to overperform massively? Sorry mate but i don't think you're gonna find a manager worth his trade that would accept such proposal.
Besides.. Before the season i'd say that Tottenham had the 3rd best team in the league if you where to compare player by player. So i don't see the point you're making there. Sp**s had a top3 side and they got it.

The champions league 2nd place was outragously lucky and i don't put much thought into that placement. Besides, that tournament is by design much more random as much of it is also down to luck of the draw.
I'm going accept reality that whichever manager we bring is not gonna have access to the same funds as our rivals and will have to over perform. Maybe you can enjoy Emery's brand of football so long as he gets the team finishing fifth and sixth, but for me that's not good enough if it happens next year regardless of how little we invest.

Also disagree about Tottenham being the third best squad, Chelsea had just won the year before, Liverpool and the Manc clubs were better as well on paper. But it is what it is, they've got one of the best managers in Europe and tbf to Emery the players they had and have brought in fit in much better with his style than our personnel does with Emery's.

The White Pelè

Human Highlight Reel
Guess he has been very flexible and sometimes a little bit random because he still doesn't know his favourite team. Hopefully he can get the players he wants in the summer to play his favourite style.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member

Didn't Sp**s finish 4th? A colossal 1 point more than us? Yes Kane was injured for a big chunk of the season but he had Son and Moura to replace him, not like Pochettino had to work with pub players while Kane was out. Yes, they did well in Europe. Albeit with a huge slice of luck in a lot of games. Would have been out in the group phase in fact, if Barca didn't put out their reserves in the final group game (no messi, Pique, Suarez, Alba etc). And they still needed a 85th minute equaliser to go through.

Also if we are being fair. Let's compare Pochettino's first season at Sp**s with emery's first season here. Pochettino finsished 5th in his first season. So same place as Emery (With 6 points less than Emery if we counted points). So did Pochettino get more out of his side than Emery did? Especially if you look at the side he inherited. He had Kane, Eriksen, Vertonghen, Alli, Walker etc. I would say he had better team than Emery had, yet for a so called miracle worker he didn't perform better.

Yes I agree Emery needs to do better. He needs to get more out of our players. He needs to get better system/tactics to maximise our potential. But let's not ignore the dross he has to work with too. It's telling that if you ask any of the other 5 top 6 clubs fans if they want any of our players. The max you hear is they will take 1 or 2 of our players. No one rates our squad, for a good reason.

We need a good transfer window AND for Emery to step up next season.

Last edited:

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

I'll give Emery another year, 1 year isn't enough for a manager to rebuild the squad. I'll only give him another year though if he has plans for us in the future, knows the players he doesn't have & does have in his plans & he starts at it straight away this transfer window. I also want us to start bringing in a few former players in to the staff, you see it a fair bit now with other teams. I also wouldn't to see a more attacking style of play, quick passing & good counters on. Get a few wingers in our squad aswell.

Artisan

Not Emery's Old Pal
It was always mostly down to Emery, it was obvious he didn't fancy him at the start of the year so it made little sense to give him the bumper contract when we can't even afford to bring anyone in because of bs wage limit restrictions by the owners.

At the time many of us, including me, were happy with the decision too. It's just revisionism trying assign blame elsewhere because he started playing well again.

For the record I still think it was the right decision by Emery not give him the contract. Useless player that takes two month to get into form only to pull his hammy again after 2 game weeks. It's the one thing I've been liking about Emery era if it continues, gotta be ruthless with these players.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

Getting the team better than the sum of its parts is vital or as I prefer to call it, out performing your squad cost. ;)

But it’s not just about manager tactics, it’s also about acquiring quality players for less money, which is always a big gamble. Sp**s we’re looking for Kanes, Allis etc for many years before they found them. Meanwhile Wenger was hammering them between 2004 and 2013 on a lot less money, with a combination of bold attacking tactics and the acquisition of some real quality in RVP, Fabregas, Wilshere etc for **** all. The buying side is probably out of Emery’s hands though, he can only deal what cards he’s given as the designated coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom